fenderbender4

Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

FasterHorses
1 hour ago, TehRegion219 said:

Not bourbon, but still “wtfhuhwtf?”   Im sure the prices can’t be too far off from retail (as in not secondary market prices), but wow that’s some serious cheese for those bottles. 

A664FB6D-2DB7-4EE2-A935-3B5A411DF983.jpeg

And not behind glass??!! 

pyro273
On 6/19/2019 at 7:22 PM, EarthQuake said:

The local place, Cedar Ridge, just about 10 minutes drive from me in Iowa City has been producing more and more impressive stuff lately. They did a barrel proof store pick for a local whiskey group, 5 year old bourbon I think, that was among the best craft whiskies I've had, but still not on par with the big boys. I sampled a barrel proof 5 year old J Henry (from Wisconsin) that was very good for craft too. There's another place in Wisconsin, Driftless Glen, that people seem to really like, but I haven't tried their stuff yet.

Few was something I quite liked when I started getting into whiskey about 6 years ago (not long after they opened, when they first started winning awards). The rye was quite good (or so I thought), mostly mixed in Old Fashioneds). I bought a few bottles of it. But then at one point, I bought a new bottle and it was awful. Just terrible whiskey, among the worst I've ever purchased. So I'm not sure what happened. Whether my tastes changed or what they were bottling changed or some combination of the two. When I was in Chicago a year or two ago we went to the tour at Few and tried most of the stuff they make. It was all bad, young, too grain forward, and aged in those micro barrels.

So I'm curious to hear if you've been a recent buyer of Few, or if the stuff you bought was a few years back? I think the bottles that we found to be bad started around 2014 or 2015. I have a sneaking suspicion that they were bottling sourced whiskey before then, but I have absolutely no proof of this. Either that or they changed production to meet demand and the quality fell off. Of course it's possible I just couldn't tell good whiskey from bad when I first started buying it (likely).

Speaking of Chicago area whiskey, Koval is foul stuff. At least when I tried it a few years back. We got a sample pack of the Bourbon, Rye and Four Grain, and I think most of it ended up down the drain. Perhaps it was the Rye that sucked the least? That was used for making bitters and whiskey cherries.

The wife showed up with two bottles of FEW Flaming Lips a while back.  Thought I might try it......ugh.   It's not that bad that it's going down the drain but it's going on the cocktail shelf.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, pyro273 said:

The wife showed up with two bottles of FEW Flaming Lips a while back.  Thought I might try it......ugh.   It's not that bad that it's going down the drain but it's going on the cocktail shelf.

I think you were just suppose to put that on a shelf with your music collection.  :)

That being said, Yoshimi could probably put out a rick house fire...

Edited by 0895

TehRegion219
37 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

And not behind glass??!! 

Yes they are, just really clean glass? Lol 

this is like a high roller bunker..... glass store front wall/door under lock and key. Similar size to the humidor that’s down the hall. 

fishnbowljoe
24 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Yes they are, just really clean glass? Lol 

this is like a high roller bunker..... glass store front wall/door under lock and key. Similar size to the humidor that’s down the hall. 

Binny’s again or ???

TehRegion219
12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Binny’s again or ???

Yes sir, south loop. 

Only a a couple of whistle pigs as well as a couple Kentucky owl bottles.

Marekv8
9 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Yes sir, south loop. 

Only a a couple of whistle pigs as well as a couple Kentucky owl bottles.

The similar bunker set-up at the Lincoln Park Binny's is an impressive piece of work-- but with the low lighting and distant bottle placement, it's next to impossible to see what's what (especially with my sketchy eyesight). Luckily I found an employee willing to unlock the door and let me breathe the rarified air for a few minutes when I was there last week-- I think he just wanted an excuse to get in there as well.

BusterChestnut
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Not bourbon, but still “wtfhuhwtf?”   Im sure the prices can’t be too far off from retail (as in not secondary market prices), but wow that’s some serious cheese for those bottles. 

A664FB6D-2DB7-4EE2-A935-3B5A411DF983.jpeg

Insane. 50yr oak bomb for the price of a BMW lol

Might check out that Blackadder raw cask in the top right back though, just the same

Edited by BusterChestnut

birdie

Good price on Beluga Vodka though,  had that a few times, really good.

The Black Tot
Posted (edited)

Now I've seen everything. Just when you start to wonder if overpriced whisky will live forever...they sell you a ten thousand dollar bottle in it's own little coffin.

Look at that poor old bottle - can't even sit up anymore.  Probably sounds like a wheezing cough when you pop the cork.

It needs to cost 10 grand to cover its medical bills.

319476311_WhiskeyCoffin.thumb.jpg.53d7079eb1c563ffed061fd9e5ca2037.jpg

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 3

Mako254
On 7/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, BusterChestnut said:

Might check out that Blackadder raw cask in the top right back though, just the same

I’d need a pour out of the taster bottle before contemplating purchase (and divorce). 

• I like it 1

pyro273
On 7/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, BusterChestnut said:

Those must be the only two bottles left in the world......

squire

$9000 would probably buy enough whiskey for the rest of my life.  Unless I share with you guys of course.

• I like it 3

Harry in WashDC
On 6/20/2019 at 7:43 PM, GeeTen said:

Hey Rich - have we met yet???  My retirement jobs have been working for a LARGE East Coast-based retail liquor store chain and in a spirits/wine shop for a LARGE Upstate New York-based grocery store chain.  However, according to my wife, between the two of us we know everything there is to know about whiskey and wine - I think I know it all and she knows I DON'T!  🤣

But I agree with you - I have found that "truly knowledgeable liquor store employees" are few and far between.  But that's why I so much spend time on SB.com, reading and listening to all y'all and sharing what little bourbon knowledge and bottles I have with others.  Besides, I don't have the patience or personality to be a CPA (no offense meant, CPAs!!!).  😍

You be too modest, Pal.  WE know better.B)

• I like it 1

Kane

The computer engineer in me wonders if their labeling system supports 5-digit numbers...

• I like it 2

PaulO
10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Now I've seen everything. Just when you start to wonder if overpriced whisky will live forever...they sell you a ten thousand dollar bottle in it's own little coffin.

Look at that poor old bottle - can't even sit up anymore.  Probably sounds like a wheezing cough when you pop the cork.

It needs to cost 10 grand to cover its medical bills.

319476311_WhiskeyCoffin.thumb.jpg.53d7079eb1c563ffed061fd9e5ca2037.jpg

Nobody ever told those people, you don't store whiskey on its' side?

Could be the bottle died of cork taint.

• I like it 4

The Black Tot
3 minutes ago, PaulO said:

'Tain't gettin' bought by me, that's for sure.

kcgumbohead
10 hours ago, PaulO said:

I’d love go in there and ask them if its supposed to pair better with Coke or Ginger ale? Bourbon better never achieve the level of douchebaggry that  afflicts wine and Scotch, there are some quality candidates poluting glass cases for sure but stuff like this is just stupid. I hope its still in that case 50-60yrs from now!!

• I like it 2

TehRegion219
12 hours ago, Kane said:

The computer engineer in me wonders if their labeling system supports 5-digit numbers...

Tap on the picture and zoom in on the price of the top

/left two Balvenie bottles....

• I like it 1

fishnbowljoe

I’ve been to the South Loop store numerous times. I’ve also been in the room pictured a time or two. ;)  One of the things I remember most was seeing a bottle of Cognac that was priced at almost $40,000 in the “trophy” room. Vosgar can correct me if I’m wrong.  On a subsequent visit, the trophy room was checked out, and the bottle was gone. As was told to a few of us, It was sold along with a number of other very expensive items. 

Biba! Joe

Vosgar
2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’ve been to the South Loop store numerous times. I’ve also been in the room pictured a time or two. ;)  One of the things I remember most was seeing a bottle of Cognac that was priced at almost $40,000 in the “trophy” room. Vosgar can correct me if I’m wrong.  On a subsequent visit, the trophy room was checked out, and the bottle was gone. As was told to a few of us, It was sold along with a number of other very expensive items. 

Biba! Joe

I don't remember if it was that same visit, but at one time they also had one of these in there. Only $20,000.....

http://www.ardbegproject.com/db.shtml

Kane
13 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Oh... so the BMW joke wasn't.

Kepler
15 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Bourbon better never achieve the level of douchebaggry that  afflicts wine and Scotch

I hate to tell you, but it's heading straight towards that.  Sad.

• I like it 1

The Black Tot

You guys are looking at it wrong. When people buy bottles like that, it pretty much nearly pays for an entire still full of new distillate.

GeeTen
19 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Ha, those bottles are chump change. We sold a bottle of The Macallan 52 for north of $60k a month ago.  Nuthin' special about the bottle other than the hooch inside - no Lalique or Bacarrat or nuthin'. Just looked like a regular bottle of 25 with the numbers reversed in a plain wood box. Go figure . . . .  🤑