What Are You Having For Cocktail Hour? SPRING/SUMMER 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mrssmokinjoe and I spent a beautiful Spring evening roaming the grounds at The Atlanta Botanical Gardens admiring the new Chihuly exhibit interspersed throughout the grounds.  Maybe, it was the beautiful gardens, beautiful Chihuly pieces, or the stunningly gorgeous  Mrssmokinjoe, but the Manhattans I had while dining at the new Linton's restaurant on the property were fabulous.  Lightish on the Vermouth, just like I like them.

So SB, what's on your cocktail menu as we get into the warmer months?

image.jpg

Edited by smokinjoe

2 oz. Linie aquavit and 2 oz. of Sicilian lemon soda over ice.  Wonderfully refreshing with appetizers made with home-grown radish slices and arugula on crackers spread with brie.

Of course, I was sipping on neat WT101 while grilling the pork loin chops we were having for dinner.

A blackberry old fashioned/bramble to use up some leftover berries.

2 oz. 1792 Sweet Wheat

5 muddled blackberries

1 tsp. sugar in the raw

1 dash ea. Peychaud's/orange bitters (out of Ango)

Served on ice w/ 3 berries as garnish. Would've added lemon if I had it.

Refreshing on a cool night :)

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

Made a new-fangled cocktail yesterday, a Boulevardier Sour. In essence, you make a mini Boulevardier and use it as the spirit portion of a whiskey sour. The recipe is as follows:

2/3 oz. 1792 Sweet Wheat

2/3 oz. Dolin Rouge

2/3 oz. Cynar (the only amaro I had on hand)

1 oz. lemon juice

0.5 oz. 2:1 simple syrup

1 egg white

Used a reverse shake, meaning shake everything but egg white with ice first, then straining, then adding egg white, then dry shaking to build foam, then fine straining. Meh, don't know if usury works any better than the normal dry shake... :shrug:

Verdict was interesting concept but muddled result. Not as flavor-intense as a Boulevardier, nor as drinkable as a good whiskey sour. Fun experiment though! May try a Negroni Sour next time as was originally proposed in the site I saw it at to see if that stands up better.

* Whoops, just wanted to clarify I used Stagg Jr. in the above cocktail, not the Sweet Wheat - higher-proof liquor is necessary cause there's less of it.

Had a 2:1:2 Manhattan last night made with Michter's Barrel Strength Rye, Dolin Rouge, & chocolate bitters. Very nice & rich but don't know if I enjoyed the chocolate with this particular rye.

A couple of Old Fashioneds were in order last evening after yet another trip to another tile store, and carting out another handful of samples with Mrssmokinjoe. :D  At the rate she's accumulating samples, we'll be able to complete the Kitchen free of charge, and still have plenty left over for the master bath...

As I sat watching her arrange them  around the kitchen while asking me what I thought of each and every one, my mind couldn't help but wander to the how awesome Luxardo cherries are, and my disbelief that these have become a staple on my bar only in the last couple of years.  

Whilst in OKC this past week I found a pretty good cocktail bar for anyone who happens to find themselves out there dodging tornado's (and apparently now earthquakes too although we experienced neither). Called the WSKY Lounge. Did a nice job with everything I tried especially considering some of the limitations of available liquor in the state that they have to deal with.

Had some friends over tonight for a little grilling to kick off the holiday weekend. In honor of our recent trip to Italy, and specifically, Venice, we started the evening with an Aperol Spritz. This is basically the official drink of Venice. 3 parts prosecco, 2 parts Aperol, 1 part club soda. Very refreshing.

Had a Mai Tai before dinner made with 1oz Pusser's Navy Rum, 1oz J. Wray & Nephew Jamaican Overproof Rum, 1oz 10 Cane Rhum Agricole, 0.5oz homemade orgeat, 0.5oz Gran Gala orange liqueur, 1oz lime juice, garnished with mint. Strong & bright. Then had a Rum Old Fashioned made with the Pusser's after dinner for dessert. Feeling no pain after 5+oz of delicious cane juice! Sorry bourbon, variety it's the spice of life!

On 5/10/2016 at 8:41 PM, moebimoebi said:

A blackberry old fashioned/bramble...

That sounds like a winner!  I like the Bramble cocktail, never thought or or heard of making it with bourbon.  Maybe a Tin Cup Bramble is in my future.  Ha!  :P

Cheers 

Edited by Darwin
spellin

2.5 Oz Lot 40

3.5 Oz fever tree ginger ale

Juice of 1/4 lime

Over ice

I'm sure this cocktail has a name, but I don't know it.  It is definitely fulfilling it's intended purpose, which is to make my MiL more tolerable.  She has pulled some new tricks out of her bubbling cauldron this visit, including "accidentally" running out of her antidepressants a week or two ago and "not having time to fill her scrip," thus giving her an ironclad excuse to behave however she wishes.  Well done.  Her second new ploy is to pretend she has a bunch of new food allergies, most of which seem to be tied to what I'm presently cooking.  Very nice.

Edited by garbanzobean

2.5 Oz Lot 40

3.5 Oz fever tree ginger ale

Juice of 1/4 lime

Over ice

I'm sure this cocktail has a name, but I don't know it.

That'd be a "buck", in this case I'd call it a Canadian Buck, bourbon would make a Kentucky Buck. A Moscow Mule is a play on buck cocktails (mule) when vodka came in vogue, not the other way around like many think.

1 hour ago, moebimoebi said:

That'd be a "buck", in this case I'd call it a Canadian Buck, bourbon would make a Kentucky Buck. A Moscow Mule is a play on buck cocktails (mule) when vodka came in vogue, not the other way around like many think.

I'm going to rename it the "argh my random new shrimp allergy is killing me . . ."

992c993b-6096-4b3d-88c6-cb3e9b42cf52_zps

d2a36dbe-4306-46c4-b015-bd34b8e80456_zps

Dad's Hat--quite leathery, imo

Edited by bigtoys

Hump day sazerac, pretty cold over here at the moment so i guess i need the extra calories?

Made it with half EC12 and half delord 1985 armagnac, cube of sugar and the usual goodies.

the delords finding its way into a few cocktails, not doing much for me neat

Edited by onemorepour

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 0:50 PM, moebimoebi said:

Had a Mai Tai before dinner made with 1oz Pusser's Navy Rum, 1oz J. Wray & Nephew Jamaican Overproof Rum, 1oz 10 Cane Rhum Agricole, 0.5oz homemade orgeat, 0.5oz Gran Gala orange liqueur, 1oz lime juice, garnished with mint. Strong & bright. Then had a Rum Old Fashioned made with the Pusser's after dinner for dessert. Feeling no pain after 5+oz of delicious cane juice! Sorry bourbon, variety it's the spice of life!

Man i love a well made mai tai, guaranteed smile maker

Took a break from my recent rum excursions and had a couple of Scofflaws tonight. 2 oz Michter's BP Rye, 1 oz M&R dry vermouth (all I had unfortunately), 3/4 oz lemon juice, 3/4 oz homemade grenadine, 2 dashes Ango orange bitters, shaken with 1/2 an egg white. So pretty I should have taken a picture!

Then capped off the night with a 2:1 gin martini with orange bitters & lemon twist, a perfect refresher.

On our trip to Italy and Venice about 6 weeks ago we became fans of the Aperol Spritz and Negronis. One of my co-workers stayed for another week after we left and I'd been wanting to hear about what she did with her time so tonight my wife came down and the three of us went to an Italian themed bar for some drinks and conversation. I started with a Negroni in honor of the trip. It was a bit on the bitter side. I went with a Boulevardier next. I asked what bourbon they used in it and was told Benchmark I said no thanks, make it with WT101. Just fantastic. So much better than the Negroni. It's on the sweeter side and much less bitter.

I just made my personal best ever Old Fashioned cocktail, and one of my favorite ones, ever. As always, I kept it simple.

I put about 1&1/2 tsp brown sugar into an Old Fashioned glass. I added about 2 tsp water to dissolve it. Then I added about 6 dashes of Angosture, then about 2&1/2 oz Old Grand Dad 86. I filled it with ice cubes and let it chill for a couple of minutes.

It was damned near perfect.

Tim

Parents were in town visiting over the weekend. Had a chance to upgrade Dad's nightly manhattan during the visit:

OLD: Seagram's 7 Crown + Gallo

NEW: SAOS 7 year Rye + Interrobang No. 47

Didn't think Dad would like my usual Carpano. The Interrobang is a locally-made vermouth. It's more mild in flavor than the Carpano. I'd say maybe similar to Cocchi Vermouth di Torino.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to try something a little different (and being out of gin), I tried this "Last Word" variant called "Final Ward":

1 part rye whiskey (I used SAOS)

1 part maraschino liqueur (Luxardo)

1 part green chartreuse

1 part lemon juice

Shaken and fine-strained. I find this too lemon-heavy (as I do almost all lemon-containing cocktails, I think it's just me.) So for the second round, I did:

1.75 rye

0.75 maraschino

0.75 chartreuse

0.75 lemon

Better, but I think I still need to play with it a bit. The other strong flavors kind of bury the whiskey...

1 hour ago, GrPeMi said:

Looking to try something a little different (and being out of gin), I tried this "Last Word" variant called "Final Ward":

1 part rye whiskey (I used SAOS)

1 part maraschino liqueur (Luxardo)

1 part green chartreuse

1 part lemon juice

Shaken and fine-strained. I find this too lemon-heavy (as I do almost all lemon-containing cocktails, I think it's just me.) So for the second round, I did:

1.75 rye

0.75 maraschino

0.75 chartreuse

0.75 lemon

Better, but I think I still need to play with it a bit. The other strong flavors kind of bury the whiskey...

I feel like the Maraschino and Chartreuse are supposed to be the featured players here with the rye (or in the case of the original, a London style gin) serving as the backbone of the drink. That is probably even more true of the Final Ward as rye is going to be less assertive than a traditional London style gin that was the typical recommendation for the Last Word. If you want to make the rye more assertive consider a younger brasher rye like some of the younger MGP versions. A young (3-4yo at most) Willet/MGP rye comes to mind with its strong punch of dill pickle-ness. Or some really bready, grainy almost white dog "craft" rye might work here.

Corsair's Wry Moon or Ryemageddon comes to mind. One of the few times that happens...

Seems like there's been a cocktail hour every night here at the homestead (I guess that's what happens when nobody is working nights this week).

Stole this sour variant from some random website:

1.5 oz Rye Whiskey (still using up that SAOS)

0.75 oz Lemon Juice

0.5 oz Maple Syrup

3-4 inch sprig of fresh rosemary

Pluck the tip of the rosemary sprig and rub around rim of glass.

Strip rosemary leaves and muddle gently in lemon and maple (don't use the stem).

Add rye and ice, shake and strain into rosemary-rubbed glass.

I also tried smoking the glass with dried rosemary, but rosemary is just too resinous, and the smoke tasted/smelled awful.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.