What Are You Having For Cocktail Hour? SPRING/SUMMER 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You don't"use up" SAOS rye, you savor it!

:)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Manhattans are almost always the preferred drink here.  I've experimented with many, but my favorite combo for a well balanced, flavorful and a bit spicy model includes Few Rye, Punt e Mes, and Fee Brothers OFA Bitters.

image.jpeg

I was stuck last night with limited booze options and few ingredients but I was determined to make a cocktail, so I made a julep with rum instead of bourbon (heresy I know). The rum I used was Rational Spirits Santeria Rum, which is fairly dry (for rum) and molassesy, and it worked surprisingly well with the mint. I'm going to do a bit more experimenting in this vein, perhaps even using some Smith & Cross and other rums I have open.

9 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I was stuck last night with limited booze options and few ingredients but I was determined to make a cocktail, so I made a julep with rum instead of bourbon (heresy I know). The rum I used was Rational Spirits Santeria Rum, which is fairly dry (for rum) and molassesy, and it worked surprisingly well with the mint. I'm going to do a bit more experimenting in this vein, perhaps even using some Smith & Cross and other rums I have open.

Sounds delightful! A rum julep is hardly heresy though. One way to help balance it out if it is too sweet is to throw a little Cynar in there (or another amaro of your choice). Of course if options are already limited that my not be something one has sitting on the bar routinely! Except at my house of course...

Cynar Julep

1 oz Cynar
1 oz dark moderately aged Rum
1/4 oz Rich demerara syrup 2:1
3 spg Mint (as garnish)

Stir with crushed ice in julep cup until frost forms, garnish to cover top of cup entirely.

14 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sounds delightful! A rum julep is hardly heresy though. One way to help balance it out if it is too sweet is to throw a little Cynar in there (or another amaro of your choice). Of course if options are already limited that my not be something one has sitting on the bar routinely! Except at my house of course...

Cynar Julep

1 oz Cynar
1 oz dark moderately aged Rum
1/4 oz Rich demerara syrup 2:1
3 spg Mint (as garnish)

Stir with crushed ice in julep cup until frost forms, garnish to cover top of cup entirely.

Bruce, you're a cocktail genius! Cynar wouldn't have been an option last night but you're right that the drink was a bit on the sweet side, so that sounds like a great addition to my future rum juleps. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 minute ago, Kpiz said:

Bruce, you're a cocktail genius!

It is a heavy burden to bear but ones does what one must...

B)

On July 21, 2016 at 0:12 PM, Kpiz said:

Bruce, you're a cocktail genius! Cynar wouldn't have been an option last night but you're right that the drink was a bit on the sweet side, so that sounds like a great addition to my future rum juleps. Thanks for the suggestion!

Don't mean to rush you guys, but any updates on your experiments?

I'm away from home for a month, so less able to test out new stuff myself.  That, and it's fun living vicariously through others here :)

Cheers

Took my recent batch of bacon-infused bourbon out for a test spin.  While in Glasgow, I had an amazing cocktail that I hope to figure out.  First attempt was good, but not quite right.  They called it a "Suckling Sour", but basically a whiskey sour with bacon-infused bourbon (although their description mentioned Sriracha hot sauce - I never saw the bartender add that - and I certainly didn't taste it).  

For my first attempt I used:

2 parts bacon-bourbon

1 part agave syrup

1 part lemon juice

1 egg white

All went into a shaker with some ice, and shook for probably 30-40 seconds.  Didn't have anything to garnish.  While it didn't hit what I had in Glasgow, it was delicious!  A bit too much sweet - going to try 3/4 part agave syrup next time.  I was happy that the bacon still came through (and just to stretch that, I may try 1 part bacon bourbon, 1 part regular bourbon).  The bourbon was an OESF that wasn't one of my favorites.  

On 7/31/2016 at 9:42 AM, GaryT said:

Took my recent batch of bacon-infused bourbon out for a test spin.  While in Glasgow, I had an amazing cocktail that I hope to figure out.  First attempt was good, but not quite right.  They called it a "Suckling Sour", but basically a whiskey sour with bacon-infused bourbon (although their description mentioned Sriracha hot sauce - I never saw the bartender add that - and I certainly didn't taste it).  

For my first attempt I used:

2 parts bacon-bourbon

1 part agave syrup

1 part lemon juice

1 egg white

All went into a shaker with some ice, and shook for probably 30-40 seconds.  Didn't have anything to garnish.  While it didn't hit what I had in Glasgow, it was delicious!  A bit too much sweet - going to try 3/4 part agave syrup next time.  I was happy that the bacon still came through (and just to stretch that, I may try 1 part bacon bourbon, 1 part regular bourbon).  The bourbon was an OESF that wasn't one of my favorites.  

Second attempt - closer, better, but still not quite there!  Did 2oz bourbon, 3/4 oz agave syrup, 1 oz lemon juice, and 1 egg white.  Quite delicious, but not a fair representation of what they had (I'm thinking maybe their bacon infused bourbon was REALLY bacony, where I tried to ease up this go-round).  

20160805_164321.jpg

While in Chicago a couple weeks ago to take Littlesmokinjoe and her friend to Lollapalooza, Mrssmokinjoe and I had dinner at The Gage.  I don't geek out on these things and don't try to get clear ice at home, but I must admit that I was duly impressed by the clarity of the ice block in my Old Fashioned (which was expertly prepared, BTW).  Pic is from above looking through the drink, ice, and glass bottom.  Some minor distortion, but zero haze/lines/etc. 

I also highly recommend this restaurant.  Enjoyed everything about it.  

image.jpg

Joe, that is a very cool pic!   ...And a very clear ice cube, I must admit.    Sounds like you had a nice time in Chi-Town with some of the other members of the Smokinjoe clan.   Good for yas!

Nice looking ring and nail polish there buddy...is it now Josephine, Joellen, Joanne...or just good old Joan?  :)

9 minutes ago, T Comp said:

Nice looking ring and nail polish there buddy...is it now Josephine, Joellen, Joanne...or just good old Joan?  :)

Thad, I guess:huh: we can now add hand modeling to his repertoire! :lol:

9 hours ago, T Comp said:

Caitlyn is trending, now...;)

9 hours ago, Paddy said:

Thad, I guess:huh: we can now add hand modeling to his repertoire! :lol:

Hey, I got a middle finger I can model for ya!  :lol:

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Hey, I got a middle finger I can model for ya!  :lol:

Here. Hold this for me. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a bourbon, but it was finished in used bourbon barrels.  A traditional Sazerac made with High West Rendezvous Rye.

Tonight - Cynar Manhattan.

For one -

2 oz. rye (used  Redemption 132+ proof for this one; have made this with 80, 86, 90, and 100 proof)

1/2 oz. Cynar (with 100 proof or less rye, use not less than 1/4 oz..; experiment until you hit a ratio you like)

1/4 oz. Simple Syrup (don't change with proof)

Old Fashioned or Aromatic bitters (Angostura sort of got lost with the Cynar veggie, but the OF added something fruity)

Prechlled martini glass

Combine all four ingredients with some ice in a shaker.  Shake until cloudy.

Pour into chilled martini glass.

Garnish with whatever you want. 

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Tonight - Cynar Manhattan.

For one -

2 oz. rye (used  Redemption 132+ proof for this one; have made this with 80, 86, 90, and 100 proof)

1/2 oz. Cynar (with 100 proof or less rye, use not less than 1/4 oz..; experiment until you hit a ratio you like)

1/4 oz. Simple Syrup (don't change with proof)

Old Fashioned or Aromatic bitters (Angostura sort of got lost with the Cynar veggie, but the OF added something fruity)

Prechlled martini glass

Combine all four ingredients with some ice in a shaker.  Shake until cloudy.

Pour into chilled martini glass.

Garnish with whatever you want. 

I am more of an "anti-Bond" stirred, not shaken person for Manhattans and their many variations. Have you tried one stirred to see what, if any, difference it might make?

On 8/29/2016 at 11:50 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I am more of an "anti-Bond" stirred, not shaken person for Manhattans and their many variations. Have you tried one stirred to see what, if any, difference it might make?

Nope, but I sure intend to try stirring soon.

Shaking a Manhattan is an aberration in our house regardless of the base spirit.  For example, we ALWAYS stir our basic 2:1::100 proof rye:Dolins Manhattans instead of shaking regardless of whether we drink it with ice instead of up.  I shook this one only because the (very) few Cynar cocktails I'd had (all of which were in restaurants) were shaken and served up so I shook this one and drank it up.  Once I get a better feel for how Cynar works "traditionally", I'll play with it.  I have almost 720mls left to do so.;)  In this connection - hints and suggestions are welcome.

11 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Once I get a better feel for how Cynar works "traditionally", I'll play with it.  I have almost 720mls left to do so.;)  In this connection - hints and suggestions are welcome.

Well, now that you mention it, here is an SB.com classic that uses Cynar and is stirred. It has been regularly served at the Sampler over the past few years. It is a bit complicated but is a style that interests me as it makes use of two different base spirits. 

This is of course the one and only Smokin' Joe!

(It is also on rare occasion known as the Transatlantic Giant from the Beta Cocktails book)

Transatlantic Giant

1.5 Buffalo Trace bourbon

0.5 Smith & Cross rum

0.5 Cynar

0.5 sloe gin (I like Plymouth)

0.5 Creme de Cacao (Marie Brizzard makes a decent one as does Tempus Fugit which is a good bit more chocolatey. The advantage of the Brizzard is that it comes in a clear version)

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice, strain and serve up!

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well, now that you mention it, here is an SB.com classic that uses Cynar and is stirred. It has been regularly served at the Sampler over the past few years. It is a bit complicated but is a style that interests me as it makes use of two different base spirits. 

(It is also on rare occasion known as the Transatlantic Giant from the Beta Cocktails book)

Transatlantic Giant

0.5 Smith & Cross rum

0.5 Cynar

0.5 Creme de Cacao (Marie Brizzard makes a decent one as does Tempus Fugit which is a good bit more chocolatey. The advantage of the Brizzard is that it comes in a clear version)

Mmmm.  My most favorite cocktail.  It's where I learned of SI-Nar... :lol:

Seriously, this is a great drink that Bruce introduced to SB-dom.

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Transatlantic Giant

0.5 Smith & Cross rum

0.5 Cynar

Thank you Bruce & Joe.  I just happen to have all those ingredients on hand including the Plymouth sloe gin (always two bottles on hand just to be safe in case storms in the Atlantic slow down deliveries of replacements).

We are on a "What else does Cynar go with" journey right now.  I can hardly wait for our pre-dinner happy hour tomorrow (well, Sat 2 Sep 6PM).

Regards,

Harry

The cocktail world is your Cynar-ian oyster! Although I confess I see it must often paired with rum and perhaps tequila. However it can be used in a number of variations of a Boulevardier either with or as a partial replacement for Campari depending on how bitter you like your cocktail.

Here are a few other "exotic" options!

The Art of Choke (Note this tends to be on the bitter side and herb forward from the Chartreuse)

1 1/4 oz Cynar
1 oz Rum, Flor de Caña 4yr (or other good white rum like Plantation 3 star, El Dorado 3yo or maybe even a good rhum agricole blanc although that would add some additional grassy, herbal flavors)
1/4 oz Herbal liqueur, Green Chartreuse (a "fat" quarter ounce)
1/8 oz Rich demerara syrup 2:1 (could leave out if you feel the drink is too sweet)
1/8 oz Lime juice
1 ds Bitters, Angostura
2 spg Mint (one as garnish)

Combine liquids in mixing glass, add mint and gently muddle.  Let sit 1 min.  Stir, then strain into rocks glass over large ice.  Garnish with a mint sprig.

Colonel Carpano (A kind of Cynar forward Manhattan variation from the same guy that created The Art of Choke)

1 1/2 oz Cynar
1 1/2 oz Bourbon, Buffalo Trace
3/4 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica Formula (could sub Punt e Mes for a bit drier cocktail)
2 ds Peychaud's Bitters
1 twst Orange peel

Combine in a mixing glass then add large ice cubes.  Stir then strain over large ice.  Garnish with an orange peel expressed and inserted.

The Sanny (Another Manhattan variation that is a bit like a Red Hook or Little Italy perhaps. Indeed the Little Italy is another good Cynar drink)

2 oz Rye (or Bourbon) 
1 1/2 oz Cynar
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
2 ds Cherry Bark Bitters (or Celery bitters if made with bourbon)
1 twst Lemon zest (expressed, as garnish)

Stir, strain, rocks, lowball, express peel, garnish

Kindred Cocktails

This is going to work out fine.  I just decanted the last four ounces of a Carpano Antica 750 and also wanted to finish up a bottle of Maraschino Liqueur.  We'll be set for a couple of nights.

Again, thanks for the suggestions - the Smokin' Joe has been moved up to tonight.  The results should be in about 8PM if I'm still awake.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.