CEHT Four Grains

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

45 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Steve, I understand your point. I'm getting a bit tired of the game too. However, thus far I've never paid more than regular retail for anything I've bought, although I might be willing to go a bit over retail if I had to for a few select items that are highly regarded. I really didn't think I'd find any Four Grain, but lucked up on a bottle at retail at a store that I don't shop at regularly, but do buy some mid and top level stuff occasionally. The manager saw that I was buying a bottle of ECBP, and he'd just received the CEHT Four Grain and asked if I wanted it for $78, so I said yes. Now, I'd like to have another bottle, so I may wait on opening to see if I can get lucky again with next year's release since this is not a one time release from what I understand. I have lots of other bottles including Scotch that I haven't tried in the bunker anyway. I have learned that you have to buy them when you see them even if you aren't in a rush to open them. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd totally do the same in your case.

I'm just saying that I'm not going to hunt for it. I really don't care if I don't find one. Really, I don't. It's a blip on the total bourbon skyline. A shooting star that shines brightly for a moment and then is gone, only to be replaced by the next shooting star. I just don't care about those any more. I'm only interested the quality mainstays that are always available that I don't have to chase.

I used to scoff at people who said this, thinking it was just a case of sour grapes. Now I truly understand.

I'd totally do the same in your case.
I'm just saying that I'm not going to hunt for it. I really don't care if I don't find one. Really, I don't. It's a blip on the total bourbon skyline. A shooting star that shines brightly for a moment and then is gone, only to be replaced by the next shooting star. I just don't care about those any more. I'm only interested the quality mainstays that are always available that I don't have to chase.
I used to scoff at people who said this, thinking it was just a case of sour grapes. Now I truly understand.

Hear, hear!

10 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I don't think I've seen any negative reviews. I've seen some that were like "meh...I was expecting more, but it's still a solid bourbon," but I've also seen reviews that were pretty favorable. I probably won't get an opportunity to get another until next year's release anyway, so then I'll be able to compare them if I'm able to get one.

Count me squarely in the "meh" category for the moment. Have now tried it from two different bottles and it starts solid but never really goes anywhere. Some interesting early herbal notes never really progress into anything else and the finish, at least to me, seemed rather on the short side.

Maybe with time and the mystical powers of "air exposure" it will get better! But I am not convinced it will. At retail it was worth taking a shot in case it proved to be an unexpected gem. Now I know... :huh:

Count me squarely in the "meh" category for the moment. Have now tried it from two different bottles and it starts solid but never really goes anywhere. Some interesting early herbal notes never really progress into anything else and the finish, at least to me, seemed rather on the short side.

Maybe with time and the mystical powers of "air exposure" it will get better! But I am not convinced it will. At retail it was worth taking a shot in case it proved to be an unexpected gem. Now I know... :huh:

I'm sure it won't wow me either, but I think I'll probably like it. I'm sure you've already seen the review at BreakingBourbon, but for others benefit here's the link. It's a pretty favorable review, while still pointing out some disappointments.

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/e-h-taylor-four-grain.html

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I just haven't been able to get excited about any of these CEHT releases. If I was offered one at retail I'd buy it of course, but I'm not going to jump through all the hoops and hustle to get one only to find out that it's just "OK", or, to find out that it's great but oh, so sorry, I only have one so it's one and done and I have to lament not being able to find any more. I'm not playing that game any more.

I for one am enjoying watching all the held back BTEC barrels being sold as CEHT.  Not that I have any fundamental problem with it, but I am satisfied with the bottles of BTEC I got to try already.

Was there a bottle count released? I didn't even come close to a bottle in NJ. Apparently the state got less than 100 bottles. 

18 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

Was there a bottle count released? I didn't even come close to a bottle in NJ. Apparently the state got less than 100 bottles. 

Virginia got 270 that they put up for lottery. 

If you look at the bourbon release calendar, it looks like there's another CEHT 4 Grain release in 2018. I'm not sure what to make of that.

If you look at the bourbon release calendar, it looks like there's another CEHT 4 Grain release in 2018. I'm not sure what to make of that.

I've read several places that Buffalo Trace was having another release in 2018, and that it may become an annual release.

35 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I've read several places that Buffalo Trace was having another release in 2018, and that it may become an annual release.

I too had read about the 2018 release, bug I hadn't heard about the possibility of an annual release. 

They must have more barrels of this stuff in the rickhouse than I realized.

On 5/25/2017 at 11:39 AM, JoeTerp said:

Virginia got 270 that they put up for lottery. 

I just got the email saying I won the lottery for this one.  It'll take them 21 days to get the bottle to the store I pre-selected and then I'll have 2 weeks to complete the purchase.  $69.99 plus tax. :D

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

I just got the email saying I won the lottery for this one.  It'll take them 21 days to get the bottle to the store I pre-selected and then I'll have 2 weeks to complete the purchase.  $69.99 plus tax. :D

Congrats man. Unfortunately I got no such email and went 0/3 in this one. I've lost so many lotteries I honestly just want an email saying that I was actually entered as I've begun to feel like they've been throwing out my entries. 

I said I wouldn't chase one, and I didn't, but one did fall in my lap. I stopped into the small local store near my house and they asked if I wanted one. They were keeping them in back for their good customers.

So now I have one. What to do? Open it of course! Having the first sip right now less than one minute after returning home. This one is going to take some getting used to. I'm agreeing with Bruce above - it starts out really interesting but the finish drops off quick. I do love the nose. I'm having a hard time identifying any particular flavors (it has flavor, they're in there, just can't put my finger on it).

As usual, one needs to get a few pours in to give it a fair shake. 

I said I wouldn't chase one, and I didn't, but one did fall in my lap. I stopped into the small local store near my house and they asked if I wanted one. They were keeping them in back for their good customers.
So now I have one. What to do? Open it of course! Having the first sip right now less than one minute after returning home. This one is going to take some getting used to. I'm agreeing with Bruce above - it starts out really interesting but the finish drops off quick. I do love the nose. I'm having a hard time identifying any particular flavors (it has flavor, they're in there, just can't put my finger on it).
As usual, one needs to get a few pours in to give it a fair shake. 

Congrats on the good luck Steve! Y'all are going to make me open my bottle sooner than later, just so I can play along.

8 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Congrats on the good luck Steve! Y'all are going to make me open my bottle sooner than later, just so I can play along.

Open it!

It started to get more interesting towards the end of the pour. We'll see what happens.

Open it!
It started to get more interesting towards the end of the pour. We'll see what happens.

I really need to clear some tall bottles off my small bar top first since tall bottles don't fit in my bar cabinet. I think I'll try to finish off the half empty bottle of CEHTSmB on the bar, so I can open the Four Grain...good excuse to focus on drinking a bottle of bourbon I love anyway. Cheers!

Well, I focused on finishing off my open bottle of CEHT SmB and finished it off last night while watching the Predators almost get a win in Pittsburg. So, I opened the Four Grain and I am now enjoying the first pour. Initial thoughts are that I like it, but I'm fairly easy to please. I'm not sure it's worth chasing, but if you can find a bottle at retail, which is probably between $60-$80 depending on where you live, I'd say it's worth getting. I'd like to see it closer to the price of the Small Batch, but that's probably not likely to happen. I'll see how well I like it after a few more pours and a few weeks of tasting. I'm leaning toward trying to get another bottle at retail when the Spring 2018 batch is released, but I will have a better idea about how I feel about that in a few weeks. Of course Grandpa Weller's Four Grain Blend costs less than half the price of this Four Grain, and while not exactly the same, it's pretty darn good. I think I may need to do a blind SBS to see which one I really like better.

Back into it tonight for the first time since the initial pour on Friday. I'm really liking it now. Finish is still short but I love what it's doing on the palate. Still can't suss out the flavors but it's coming off as way more balanced than I remember from the first pour.

On May 30, 2017 at 6:47 PM, lcpfratn said:

Well, I focused on finishing off my open bottle of CEHT SmB and finished it off last night while watching the Predators almost get a win in Pittsburg. So, I opened the Four Grain and I am now enjoying the first pour. Initial thoughts are that I like it, but I'm fairly easy to please. I'm not sure it's worth chasing, but if you can find a bottle at retail, which is probably between $60-$80 depending on where you live, I'd say it's worth getting. I'd like to see it closer to the price of the Small Batch, but that's probably not likely to happen. I'll see how well I like it after a few more pours and a few weeks of tasting. I'm leaning toward trying to get another bottle at retail when the Spring 2018 batch is released, but I will have a better idea about how I feel about that in a few weeks. Of course Grandpa Weller's Four Grain Blend costs less than half the price of this Four Grain, and while not exactly the same, it's pretty darn good. I think I may need to do a blind SBS to see which one I really like better.

I think you hit the nail on the head. While I'd love to try 4 grain, I'm sure OGD 114 and WSR is comparable at half the price. I have pretty much been paying $50 plus only for barrel proofers. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.