What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2016

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Came to London with a plan, and although the majority of what I was looking for has evaded me (thus far), happy with a couple of purchases.  Now I just have to wait to get home to try them - AARRGGHHH :)

Picked up an Aultmore 15yr  (Cask strength 51.3%, NCF) - never had anything from them, but BigRich seemed to be pretty impressed with a recent sample (and more importantly - it hit the checkboxes of "Hadn't had; can't get back home; CS & NCF")

Also grabbed a Port Dundas 25yr (Cask strength, 51.9%, NCF).  Haven't had a ton of experience with single grain whisky, but this was one on my list as it hit everything on the aforementioned checklist, with a bonus of being a 'lost distillery'.  

Lastly, grabbed a small Cadenheads Living Cask (Islay, 55%) bottle.  Also picked up some minis (an Aultmore 14yr, Longrow Peated, and a Cadenheads Bowmore 15yr CS).

Can't wait (but will have to unfortunately) to get home and crack these!

13 hours ago, darylld911 said:

Came to London with a plan, and although the majority of what I was looking for has evaded me (thus far), happy with a couple of purchases.  Now I just have to wait to get home to try them - AARRGGHHH :)

Picked up an Aultmore 15yr  (Cask strength 51.3%, NCF) - never had anything from them, but BigRich seemed to be pretty impressed with a recent sample (and more importantly - it hit the checkboxes of "Hadn't had; can't get back home; CS & NCF")

Also grabbed a Port Dundas 25yr (Cask strength, 51.9%, NCF).  Haven't had a ton of experience with single grain whisky, but this was one on my list as it hit everything on the aforementioned checklist, with a bonus of being a 'lost distillery'.  

Lastly, grabbed a small Cadenheads Living Cask (Islay, 55%) bottle.  Also picked up some minis (an Aultmore 14yr, Longrow Peated, and a Cadenheads Bowmore 15yr CS).

Can't wait (but will have to unfortunately) to get home and crack these!

Enjoy your time in London!

I picked up a Longrow 14 and a Caol Ila 11 year old cask strength bottled by Gordon & MacPhail.

Came across another CB Flaming Heart 2012 and at $90 I figured I might as well add one more...

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Came across another CB Flaming Heart 2012 and at $90 I figured I might as well add one more...

I used to be able to get those for about $60-$80.  I think there's still one store that has them.  I have a 2010 squirreled away, so that's good enough for me.

Maryland always seems to have some really good prices. I don't think even the 2010 Flaming Heart was $60-80 here. The 2012 and 2015 certainly haven't been. $90 was about the cost of the 2012 when it first came out. the 2015 has typically been about $100.

On May 29, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Auracom said:

Ignore the one on the right...

image.jpeg

If, you want to ignore the best of the 3...;)

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:45 PM, Auracom said:

Ignore the one on the right...

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

If, you want to ignore the best of the 3...;)

I am kind of thinking that it is the one of the left might be the weakest of the three...

Would sure love to find a bottle or three of the Springer local barley locally but that seems unlikely.

I don't buy bottles like Dark Cove very often (if ever)... but I was so surprised to be offered a committee labeling that I couldn't say no. Feedback seems decent overall, better than most recent Ardbeg gimmicks, so not feeling much guilt. It will be fun to compare with Oogie at some point :).

Springer was expensive as hell. As expected. But I think it will probably be the best of the three (and if not I will happily let Joe know that ECBP reigns supreme!).

I've been on a Canadian kick recently and I added two Crown Royal iterations to my collection today: Hand Selected Barrel and Noble Collection, Cornerstone Blend. 

Also purchased an Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 52 (been waiting for that to go on sale) and a Laphroaig Quarter Cask (because it was also on sale).  I really love the various flavors and scents found in the multiple bottlings from Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig but if I'm in the mood for a peated Islay whisky and want to enjoy it without thinking too much about it, there is nothing like Quarter Cask especially at that price.

Finished our UK trip yesterday with a Laphroaig PX Cask.  After London, I checked a dozen or more stores and couldn't find any other independent bottlings I was intrigued enough to part with the cash for.  Did pick up some 50mLs of other items (GlenDronach Parliament 21yr, Atholl Highlander Blended Malt Scotch Whisky - bought on-site while they were having the Atholl Highland Games! - and an Ileach).  Unfortunately also managed to pick up a cold during the trip, so won't be opening anything right away :(

Pretty good week this week. 

Sullivans Cove American Oak

Sullivan's Cove Bourbon Oak (120 proof)

Springbank 12 Burgundy 

Hazelburn 10

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Pretty good week this week. 

Sullivans Cove American Oak

Sullivan's Cove Bourbon Oak (120 proof)

Springbank 12 Burgundy 

Hazelburn 10

I love Hazelburn 10.  It is exactly what I imagine when people talk about what a prototypical lowland malt should be.  Sure, it's made in Campbeltown by a distillery that is known for a flavor profile that is sort of the polar opposite of a lowland whisky, but that just shows how amazing they are at their craft.

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

I love Hazelburn 10.  It is exactly what I imagine when people talk about what a prototypical lowland malt should be.  Sure, it's made in Campbeltown by a distillery that is known for a flavor profile that is sort of the polar opposite of a lowland whisky, but that just shows how amazing they are at their craft.

This will be my first Hazelburn though I'm familiar with Springbank and Longrow, which I love, so I'm sure this'll be good too. Also seen a rundlets & kilderkins but thought I'd try this first.

Cheers!

Signatory vintage 1992/2016 Bruichladdich 23 yr @ 46% for $105.99.  all of $5 more than the 19yr sister cask I purchased from the same store.  At least I think it is a sister cask.  I'll confirm the details later.  At any rate, good deals still exist in the scotch world.

The manager of my preferred scotch store says they are getting Lagavulin 8 next week.  That'll be a buy for me.

Edited by garbanzobean

Broke down and bought a Glenmorangie Milsean this weekend. Cracked it open Saturday night and I'm not too thrilled about that $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

Broke down and bought a Glenmorangie Milsean this weekend. Cracked it open Saturday night and I'm not too thrilled about that $100.

Welcome to the club... :D

Welcome to the club... [emoji3]

Every year I swear to myself that it will be the last year. I haven't really found them to be "worth it" since the Ealanta.

Glenmorangie anything is an easy pass for me.  Nothing wrong with the spirit, but Lumsden's style just ain't mine.  The last Ardbeg 10 I purchased seemed heavier on the vanilla than I would prefer, and I am left wondering if my tastes have changed or if Lumsden has been heavyhanded with his tinkering with the recipe.  Probably both.

Just bought a bottle of the Springbank Local Barley 2016, and happened to open it this evening.  Fantastic Springbank, with the spirit taking center stage.  Must be aged primarily in bourbon casks, and if there is sherry casks--they would almost have to be refill casks!

I am trying to think of a recent Springbank that this version reminds me of, but can't place any in recent memory.  From a similar distillery this is closest to Kilkerran Cask Strength from a few years ago.

Liked the first taste so much that I bought another bottle!  For safekeeping, and opening down the road.

6 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Just bought a bottle of the Springbank Local Barley 2016, and happened to open it this evening.  Fantastic Springbank, with the spirit taking center stage.  Must be aged primarily in bourbon casks, and if there is sherry casks--they would almost have to be refill casks!

I am trying to think of a recent Springbank that this version reminds me of, but can't place any in recent memory.  From a similar distillery this is closest to Kilkerran Cask Strength from a few years ago.

Liked the first taste so much that I bought another bottle!  For safekeeping, and opening down the road.

Have you had the Spring bank Green 12yr release?  It reminded me a bit of Killerran.  I don't think I'm going to be able to justify paying the $200ish price for the LB, so another bottle of Green might be my consolation prize.  The label sure ain't as pretty though . . .

7 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Have you had the Spring bank Green 12yr release?  It reminded me a bit of Killerran.  I don't think I'm going to be able to justify paying the $200ish price for the LB, so another bottle of Green might be my consolation prize.  The label sure ain't as pretty though . . .

I have had the Green 12 and Green 13, I can see how the Springbank Local Barley would remind one of the Green 12.  I LOVE the Green 13 release.  One of my favorites right now.  The Green 13 I believe was matured in sherry casks versus Green 12 being matured in bourbon casks.  The Local Barley is sweeter, and fuller than Green 12, if that helps any.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.