What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring/Summer 2016

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/6/2016 at 2:47 PM, BigRich said:

Broke down and bought a Glenmorangie Milsean this weekend. Cracked it open Saturday night and I'm not too thrilled about that $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the wine influence interesting and different enough that I'm glad I tried it but I paid less for my bottle which helps.

I really need to stop going weeks and/or months between posts!

Picked up a Bruichladdich Islay Barley last weekend. There is just something about the nose that speaks to me. While not peated, it still has that briny sea character of Islay, very unique.

2x Lagavulin 8 yr.  I don't normally buy malts (particularly special editions) in pairs, but Lagavulin doesn't put out a lot of special editions, and I really love Lagavulin.  One is already out on my bar, as I had cleared a space for it.  It will be opened in the next day or two.

A couple of weeks ago I stopped in to Eagle River Liquors to pick up a couple of Pikesville Rye's and noticed Brad had 375's of Bushmills Black Bush on a "while they last" sale for $7.99. Having never tried this whiskey, he had one open, offered a taste and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it, so much so that I bought a couple. While my Irish of choice is still Redbreast 15, this one is nicely balanced, very refreshing and has a decent finish. A good hot weather pour, IMHO.

Went back this week and bought four more (showing considerable restraint in not buying more).

Montgomerie's Caol Ila cask 3076, bottle 115 @ 46%.  Distilled 23 Feb 1996, bottled March 2016.  NCF and "colouring free." No indication of barrel type, so refill hogshead seems like a good guess.  This is a Total Wine exclusive.  I paid around $120.  Past Montgomerie's Caol Ilas have been well reviewed, so I decided to take a punt.  If it's even in the ballpark of Port Askaig 19, I'll be very happy.

I picked up a Teeling single malt yesterday. I like having an Irish on hand for my March pours but finding one I like is the challenge. Don't care for entry level Jameson (too boozy,harsh), I have a RB12, not the cask strength just standard issue and it is a letdown (entry is OK but devolves into boozy harshness yet again) so given the proof bump and lack of chill filtration I am optimistic about this Teelings offering.

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

I picked up a Teeling single malt yesterday. I like having an Irish on hand for my March pours but finding one I like is the challenge. Don't care for entry level Jameson (too boozy,harsh), I have a RB12, not the cask strength just standard issue and it is a letdown (entry is OK but devolves into boozy harshness yet again) so given the proof bump and lack of chill filtration I am optimistic about this Teelings offering.

I hope it is to your liking.  I tried really hard to like Irish and Canadian whiskies.  I finished up what I had recently and have hit the pause button on any future purchases until my tastes change.  The only Irish whiskies I have found that I enjoy without resorting to ice and mixers are the Tyrconnell 10 year old finished whiskies.  I think Port, Sherry, and Madeira are the finishes.  The problem with those is that they are very Scottish in style to my amateurish palate, so I am basically paying $80+ tax for 10 year old whiskey when I could get something similar for much cheaper, minus the Madeira finish edition.  Not a lot of madeira aged or even finished scotch out there, which is a shame because I think it works if done with care.

Needed some fresh additions to take to the GBS International Whiskey Night last Saturday, so picked up a Hakushu 12 yr, Glencadam 10yr (on my Summer sipper rec list), and Compass Box Enlightenment.  

7 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Needed some fresh additions to take to the GBS International Whiskey Night last Saturday, so picked up a Hakushu 12 yr, Glencadam 10yr (on my Summer sipper rec list), and Compass Box Enlightenment.  

Nice, I like Hakushu 12 quite a bit.  Earthy, grassy, peaty, fruity--just a good Japanese whisky.

As to the Irish discussion, I've had my eyes on Teeling single malt, but I have not taken the plunge as it is $60 by me.  I reach for Irish much less often than scotch or bourbon, but when I do, it is usually RB CS, TD Phoenix, PJL or Bushmills 16, 21 or 1608 limited.  The basic blends that I have just sit around untouched.  Oh, and the Knappogue Castle 12 year old NCF 92 proof editions that I have are really nice, and much better than the basic KC 12 off-the-shelf.

Edited by jeffrey r

25 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Nice, I like Hakushu 12 quite a bit.  Earthy, grassy, peaty, fruity--just a good Japanese whisky.

Nice description of the Hakushu.  It is all of that.  The part I really like about it, is that Juicy Fruit gum note that seems to run so counter to the light peat (in my mind), but works so well over my palate.  Beautifully integrated.  

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Nice description of the Hakushu.  It is all of that.  The part I really like about it, is that Juicy Fruit gum note that seems to run so counter to the light peat (in my mind), but works so well over my palate.  Beautifully integrated.  

If any Japanese distillery or expression can be considered underrated in this day and age, Hakushu--specifically the 12--is it.  It is a bit of a wallflower in some ways, and I suppose the various smells and flavors it offers are all available in other whisky, but certainly not all in the same place.  Moreso than other malts, it seems very alive.  Glad I put a couple bottles away when it was still relatively reasonably priced for my wallet.  It's $80-$100 a bottle here now.

22 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I hope it is to your liking.  I tried really hard to like Irish and Canadian whiskies.  I finished up what I had recently and have hit the pause button on any future purchases until my tastes change.  The only Irish whiskies I have found that I enjoy without resorting to ice and mixers are the Tyrconnell 10 year old finished whiskies.  I think Port, Sherry, and Madeira are the finishes.  The problem with those is that they are very Scottish in style to my amateurish palate, so I am basically paying $80+ tax for 10 year old whiskey when I could get something similar for much cheaper, minus the Madeira finish edition.  Not a lot of madeira aged or even finished scotch out there, which is a shame because I think it works if done with care.

My Irish heritage is what keeps me in the hunt for a favorable match with my tastes. Should I crap out with this one the bourbon/rye sandbox is more than big enough to keep me fat and happy till the end of time. On this Teeling, the various finishes are another aspect that should make for an interesting pour. I found it while on the road and not looking specifically for it so it will sit for a few months and I'll crack it March 2017. 

I had a $20 off price match coupon for the two bottles of Lagavulin 8 I purchased recently, so I decided to give another distillery famous for young peaters another chance.  I bought Kilchoman's vintage 2008, which is 7 years old and has received pretty great reviews.  I'll be sure to save a sample of my open bottle of Laga 8 to compare it to.

Current Ardbeg Uigeadail and Corryvreckan.  Because I clearly haven't bought enough Islay this year.

On June 25, 2016 at 2:30 PM, garbanzobean said:

I had a $20 off price match coupon for the two bottles of Lagavulin 8 I purchased recently, so I decided to give another distillery famous for young peaters another chance.  I bought Kilchoman's vintage 2008, which is 7 years old and has received pretty great reviews.  I'll be sure to save a sample of my open bottle of Laga 8 to compare it to.

Pretty big fan of Kilchoman here. Have a sherry cask from Impex open on the bar now and loving it. Please post your notes on the 2008.  Enjoy!

8 hours ago, El Vino said:

Pretty big fan of Kilchoman here. Have a sherry cask from Impex open on the bar now and loving it. Please post your notes on the 2008.  Enjoy!

Will do.  I've honestly not been very impressed with Kilchoman, and their pricing in Maryland at least is unacceptably high for what one gets, so it was nice to have a coupon.  I'll eventually get around to trying one of the Impex sherry single casks that has made its way to Maryland, but they are going for $130+, which I just can't stomach.

15 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Will do.  I've honestly not been very impressed with Kilchoman, and their pricing in Maryland at least is unacceptably high for what one gets, so it was nice to have a coupon.  I'll eventually get around to trying one of the Impex sherry single casks that has made its way to Maryland, but they are going for $130+, which I just can't stomach.

Their pricing IS aggressive but to my taste the quality of the product is in line with the price.  There is a focus and purity to the spirit that I find compelling.  As much as I like the sherry expression, I think I prefer the Machir Bay that was my first experience with he brand.

Just came into possession of a Chieftain's Brora 30 year - probably my first and last Brora.

5 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Just came into possession of a Chieftain's Brora 30 year - probably my first and last Brora.

That's awesome!  

20 hours ago, El Vino said:

Their pricing IS aggressive but to my taste the quality of the product is in line with the price.  There is a focus and purity to the spirit that I find compelling.  As much as I like the sherry expression, I think I prefer the Machir Bay that was my first experience with he brand.

Unfortunately, I can't say I agree there.  I love naked Islay whiskies, but they need to have some of their rough edges knocked off at least.  I have only had the 2013 Machir Bay vintage, and that one tasted very immature instead of youthful but properly matured.  I would pay a $20 premium for craft oriented single malt, but asking $40-$70 is just too much.  Not for spirit that young.  I'm just not going to pay $20+ per year for maturation on anything like a regular basis.  

Edited by garbanzobean

Loved the Hibiki Harmony ($53.99 OTD) as a nice blended pour - so when a bottle of Hibiki 17 showed up yesterday ($129.99 OTD) I just had to max out another whiskey credit card!!!!  Some may recall that this was the juice that Bill Murray was in Japan to pitch in the movie "Lost in Translation" with Scarlett Johansson (yummy, too!).    B)

Local chain has Glen Moray 12 on sale for $19.99. Came home with six. Glenrothes Sherry Cask Reserve also marked down (to $40), so three came along. 

On 7/1/2016 at 6:49 PM, garbanzobean said:

That's awesome!  

Unfortunately, I can't say I agree there.  I love naked Islay whiskies, but they need to have some of their rough edges knocked off at least.  I have only had the 2013 Machir Bay vintage, and that one tasted very immature instead of youthful but properly matured.  I would pay a $20 premium for craft oriented single malt, but asking $40-$70 is just too much.  Not for spirit that young.  I'm just not going to pay $20+ per year for maturation on anything like a regular basis.  

The Kilchoman 10th Anniversary release I had the chance to buy at the distillery last year (not 10yo but a blend of various vintages that includes at least some 10yo whisky) was definitely the best release I have had from them. Some edges had definitely had a bit of polish but it still had some untamed edges as well!

Kilchoman 10th Anniversary.JPG

Not sure if it ever got released outside the distillery and even if it did I don't know if it crossed the pond.

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Kilchoman 10th Anniversary release I had the chance to buy at the distillery last year (not 10yo but a blend of various vintages that includes at least some 10yo whisky) was definitely the best release I have had from them. Some edges had definitely had a bit of polish but it still had some untamed edges as well!

Kilchoman 10th Anniversary.JPG

Not sure if it ever got released outside the distillery and even if it did I don't know if it crossed the pond.

I know it was limited to 3000 bottles.  Maryland seems to get Kilchoman and other Impex releases significantly later than other states, so I doubt it would have made it here at all, if it did cross the pond.

On 6/30/2016 at 10:06 PM, El Vino said:

Nothing, I just can't get this frame to go away

Well, I may have done something that will get me in trouble if the missus notices.

It is POSSIBLE I took advantage of recent economic events and ordered one of these:

http://shop.whiskybase.com/81515/speyside-1977-wd

I suppose the Dollar:Pound exchange is about as good as it has been in a while. Haven't looked to see if London stores are still shipping and if prices have changed since the vote!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.