The Wheat Takes Time

OneCubeOnly
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Note: this post was originally a reply to Dave Morefield's "Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107 Proof " posting in the tasting forum. It's a good enough question to warrant it's own thread -- JB

After re-reading this portion of the thread, it got me thinking: What are the young wheaters? The only one that comes immediately to mind is Maker's Mark. All the other wheat-recipe bourbons I can think of are 7+ years old. What bourbons am I forgetting?

I need a few peanuts while I mull over the possibilities. The labels reveal the answer not.

The rules at Heaven Hill...If the bourbon does not say how old it is, in some way, rule of thumb, it's 4 years old...All others, older or younger than 4 years, have to have a age statement somewhere on the bottle...

The rules may have changed a bit...but that is the way it used to be 3 years ago...

Generally...When the label say's 7 years old...It's "usually" seven years old bourbon in that bottle...

The rules, will allow older bourbon (say 8 year old bourbon) in that bottle and still keep the label at 7 years old...You can always go higher in age but not lower...

This rarely happens...Only on A-line...on a 1 or two order case...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Well, we can't be sure what is a wheater and what is not, but some of the talk over the years has pointed to the possibility of Rebel Yell and Virginia Gentleman being wheaters.

Tim

Now that you mention Rebel Yell, The Bourbon Companion (by regan and Regan) says that it is a wheated bourbon. I have had this and liked its sweetness.

I can't say if Virginia Gentleman is a wheater by the taste since I feel that the double distallation and filtration that it goes through makes it sooo smooth I just enjoy it rather than have to rally think if it is a wheat based bourbon.

Both standard Old Fitz (gold label) and the BIB (green label) are 4 years old. There used to be a 4-year-old Weller, but I think Buffalo Trace discontinued it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.