Looking for a good summer single Malt

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I usually drink bourbon in the warm summer months. But on occasion I crave a single malt scotch. 

What are your suggestions for a good summer dram? 

O am looking for something with a thick mouthfeel, sweet and fruity on the pallet 

Sounds like a lowland might work for you. Unless you want to spend $500 or more (if you can even find it) on a Rosebank 21 your options are pretty much Auchentoshen and Glenkinchie in current production. The Auch Three Wood isn't bad and might fit your requirements.

Or look to the Emerald Isle for your summer drinking pleasure. Redbreast rarely fails to please, even the 12yo at the rather thin 80 proof. But if you want more mouthfeel, the cask strength is the far better choice.

I'd say Dalwhinnie 15yo and Glenfiddich 15/18yo falls right into this category(both are cheap and readily available).

If you switch 'fruity' for 'malty', the Johnnie Walker Green Label is finally in production again(I've enjoyed this one a lot this spring/pre-summer)

Highland Park 18 is also excellent if you like fruitiness with a little peatiness.

In scotch, ancNoc 12 single malt is a nice summer sipper. A bit more interesting IMO than a Glenlivet or the like.  Not expensive, some definite fruit and full-bodied, and all-around quite good.  In Irish, Knappogue Castle 12 is a nice, easy-drinking single malt.

Edited by jeffrey r

On May 27, 2016 at 9:28 AM, jeffrey r said:

In scotch, ancNoc 12 single malt is a nice summer sipper. A bit more interesting IMO than a Glenlivet or the like.  Not expensive, some definite fruit and full-bodied, and all-around quite good.  In Irish, Knappogue Castle 12 is a nice, easy-drinking single malt.

I haven't tried the AncNoc 12 yet. I guess I will give that a go. 

Anything else out there?

-anyone try the Glen Grant 10 yr?

I think for sweet and fruity, with a fairly substantial mouthfeel, you could do a lot worse than Arran 12 cask strength or Arran 14.  

When I think of summer drams, I go to most anything from the Lowlands or Speyside. (Auchentoshan, Balvenie, Glenfarclas...)  But for the thick mouthfeel I will reach for a cask strength expression like Aberlour A'Bunadh or Glenfarclas 105.  I do generally consider these to be more of a fall/winter favorite. 

I personally like Campbeltown when it is warmer. Springbank, Longrow, Kilkerran specifically. A decent option from another region could be Clynelish. 

Killerran Bourbon Cask would be an amazing summer dram.  Or Spring, or Fall, or Winter . . .

On May 27, 2016 at 9:28 AM, jeffrey r said:

Picked up two bottles of Knappogue Castle 12 year. A very nice summer Irish Single Malt!!!

plenty of sweetness of citrus, pear and Apple in the arrival. Continues sweet mid palet. 

It finishes dry and then ends with the fruity sweetness. 

Great at dram indeed. 

Thank you

I'm going to suggest Tullamore Dew 10 year old single malt.  Four cask finish, big fruity aroma and taste, very summery.

Tried the new Compass Box Enlightenment last night and I have to say it makes a nice summer whisky for me. Nice fruit notes that carry well through the palate although the finish was a bit shorter than hoped for. 92 proof so not an overwhelming alcohol note (I always could use more proof but recognize it is not everyone's preference!). If you like it chilled I suggest putting it in the fridge briefly or using something that won't dilute it as it takes a drop of water well to help it blossom but doesn't seem to benefit from more than that given the fairly subtle fruit nuances of the whisky.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever try the bunnahabhain 12? it thick and syrupy at 46%, unchill filtered, and is fruity and sweet because of the sherry cask influence. No peat.

2 hours ago, bdrinker said:

Ever try the bunnahabhain 12? it thick and syrupy at 46%, unchill filtered, and is fruity and sweet because of the sherry cask influence. No peat.

Finished the end of my bottle last month. It is thick and syrupy. Just need to make sure you finish it within a month or so to keep that sweetness. Longer than that starts to be more dry all the way through. 

9 hours ago, bdrinker said:

I wouldn't say no peat, but it is very lightly peated. Someone who hasn't had much peated whisky might find it a little peaty.

6 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Finished the end of my bottle last month. It is thick and syrupy. Just need to make sure you finish it within a month or so to keep that sweetness. Longer than that starts to be more dry all the way through. 

Personally I kind of like how it loses its sweetness as it opens up.

What comes to mind also is the glenmorangie line up. The 10 year old is citrusy, the lasanta is sherried, the quinta ruban is finished in port casks and is syrupy, sweet and fruity, and the nectar d'or is finished in french sauterne casks. 

On June 15, 2016 at 0:33 PM, amg said:

I wouldn't say no peat, but it is very lightly peated. Someone who hasn't had much peated whisky might find it a little peaty.

Personally I kind of like how it loses its sweetness as it opens up.

I don't dislike the dryness at all. Just depends on my mood at the time.

My summer malt is a lowlander that maybe hard to find, but it was never a hot ticket so might still be available at a reasonable price somewhere, or as an independent bottling:  Littlemill.  It's got what I can only call a grassy character that I think goes well with hot summer weather.  There was a distillery bottling that was labeled 8 years old, but towards the end, I hear that it included a fair amount of older whiskey.  Sadly, the distillery's gone now so I'm sure that to some extent prices have been going up and will continue to do so due to scarcity (and the fact that, of course, anything you can't get is better than the stuff you can).  I don't know that I'd pay a big premium for Littlemill, but, if you can find it at a good price, that would be my pick for a summer malt.

Serge over at whiskyfun.com gave the current Glenkinchie 12 a good review yesterday, if anyone is looking toward Lowlanders.  I guess Auchentoshen is a possibility, though I'd probably look to the indies for that distillery.  Frankly I think Hazelburn has more Lowland character and soul than either distillery, but that is almost certainly my pro Springbank bias rearing its ugly head.

Edited by garbanzobean

• 1 month later...

Hey again!

Hibiki Harmony/12?  Not Scotch but good whiskey that has the fruity/sweet profile to it.  

Edited by fenderbender4

20 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Glenmorangie 10 would be my gut reaction as a good summer malt.

Not a fan of the Glenmorangie 10

If you can find a Fettercairn ( I picked up a good 15 year old bottled by Signatory for $60), I'd highly recommend it as a light, but flavorful, Summer dram. My other recommendations would be Springbank 12 Green at around $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On July 28, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Tennessee Dave said:

Glenmorangie 10 would be my gut reaction as a good summer malt.

This bottle was an early candidate for me, as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/27/2016 at 0:57 PM, BigPapa said:

I usually drink bourbon in the warm summer months. But on occasion I crave a single malt scotch. 

What are your suggestions for a good summer dram? 

O am looking for something with a thick mouthfeel, sweet and fruity on the pallet 

I was just coming on here to post about a Craigellachie I just purchased and saw your post..I think it will fit your bill. Lonach Craigellachie 7 year old..$40, 46%, non chill-filtered.

It does not taste young at all. It is big and juicy barley up front with apples, pears, and hint of honey and cinammon. Not normally my favorite profile but it is thick, rich and luscious.

For $40 hard to go wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.