The Origin Of Canadian Whisky Blending

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

An excellent series of informative posts, Gary!

IMHO, this is a blog that if you don't subscribe to it, you really ought to

On 5/30/2016 at 9:15 PM, Vosgar said:

An excellent series of informative posts, Gary!

IMHO, this is a blog that if you don't subscribe to it, you really ought to

Amen.  Gary Gillman's blog is about much more than beer.  For instance, his current discussion about the meaning of "sour mash" then and now triggered memories of my researching how best to use "wort" back when I home-brewed (we're talking decades ago here) which led me to refresh my memory about J.C. Jacobsen (Carlsberg beer) GIVING away the yeast his laboratory isolated.  That yeast forms the basis for today's lager beers; prior to that, wild yeasts, or at least impure yeasts, were used which led to variations in results.  Back to the thread - GG's blog is wonderfully unbiased RE: whatever spirit he writes about.  The origins of, and the current direction of, Canadian whiskey is certainly of interest to me.

Thanks to Gary and Harry for your kind remarks. Harry, not sure if you have heard that Carlsberg isolated the original lager yeast it used recently, harvested from a filled 1880s bottle. It recreated the beer using heirloom malts and hops and period techniques. A recent summary appears here: www.barclayperkins.blogspot.com by Ron Pattinson.

Gary

Thanks, Gary.  I did NOT know that. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.