An 1896 Bourbon Bunker

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As always, very well done Gary.  I especially appreciated the tributes to Tim, Paul, and of course,  the boss.

Fantastic Gary. A bunker of 15yr Old Crow from the 1800's. Very respectable. And the writing from that era - expository is right.

I also appreciate the shout outs to Tim, Paul, and Jim. Well done.

Thanks guys, good to see SB still so active, stronger than ever I think.

Gary

Excellent writing, Gary. I was particularly moved by the thoughtfulness of the penultimate paragraph. Thank you for the kind words regarding Paul, Tim, Straightbourbon.com, and myself.

Jim, it's kind of you to write that, but we here all are in your debt. You are a key part of the revival of bourbon in the U.S. and beyond by providing this wonderful forum since '99 and contributing to it as well, I mean posts on bourbon that are always highly perceptive except too infrequent.

The forum has given so many a chance to discuss bourbon from every perspective. This has influenced producers, consumers, critics, everyone. It's crazy that you aren't on the cover of Whisky Advocate, for example. Your modesty has precluded lobbying for any such thing but I am not so constrained.

I say to all the whiskey press out there, let's get back to basics, to a key part of this whole story, and it's right here and his name is Jim Butler aka The Boss.

Gary

SB was an invaluable resource for information when I started in this hobby and remains so a few years in. I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. Not only does the site serve as a resource for current American whiskey information but for historical information as well.  It's a virtual library on the subject and I agree with you, Gary, that Jim deserves credit for being ahead of the curve and having all of this in place when the boom hit.

Thanks Brian but you have to factor in especially the early years. 1999-2010, say. This forum was responsible in good part for creating the interest and themes/topics that were developed by whisky magazines (the content viz. American and Canadian whisky), press and social media columns and blogs, bars, mixologists, and especially distillers. Many products were released or iterations that were pressed for here. Events here also influenced craft distilling and e.g. the appearance of blends of bourbons and the general approach of NDPs.

I can see it as I was active from 2002 here and have observed the larger picture too.

The interest especially in rye whiskey was largely a push from many threads here, ditto the interest in Michters, etc. Take something like Trace acquiring the Taylor brand. I doubt that would have happened but for SB. Its influence is huge and Jim made it all happen through making this site available without charge, at his own cost. SB is not just a good resource out there, it is seminal.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

I was oblivious to what was going on in the American whiskey world prior to about 2010 so I'll take your word for it,  but I am not at all surprised by your claims,  Gary.  

On 6/7/2016 at 9:50 PM, mosugoji64 said:

SB was an invaluable resource for information when I started in this hobby and remains so a few years in. I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. Not only does the site serve as a resource for current American whiskey information but for historical information as well.  It's a virtual library on the subject and I agree with you, Gary, that Jim deserves credit for being ahead of the curve and having all of this in place when the boom hit.

Exactly my response.    My experience as well.    Thanx to Gary, and to Brian for putting into words such prescient thoughts, that so closely parallel my own.

• 7 months later...

Great read.

Here's a couple shots of a prohibition-era bunker in Miami. Unfortunately the labels were lost during a flood.

20161230_132103.jpg

20161230_131858.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.