What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

For some reason, I felt like going with rum last night with dinner.  Big mistake.  The Eldorado 15 was too cloyingly sweet and seemingly awash with unintegrated globs of vanillas and cake icing.  I've had better luck with this bottle neat in the past, but on this day, it seemed best suited for Diet Coke...or something. 

Unless you really want a sweeter profile after dinner (or on its own) the older El Dorado's always lean towards the sweet side. Added sugar will do that! Not that I don't like it in the right time and place. 

Look for a Barbados rum like Seale's, Doorly or even Mt. Gay XO to get a more amenable profile. All serviceable, available and reasonably affordable without the heavy hand of sugar. Appleton, especially the 12 for me as a sipper, can be serviceable as well either on its own or perhaps a rum Old Fashioned where you can control how much sweetness you want.  

On this sparkling morning...looking forward to strong coffee all day and strong spirits all evening.

CRW-A.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, sailor22 said:

On this sparkling morning...looking forward to strong coffee all day and strong spirits all evening.

CRW-A.jpg

There's a picture of perfection. Very interested in the rum - report back if you get a chance!

On 10/23/2016 at 8:42 PM, Kpiz said:

Popped open a bottle of the Foursquare 2004 tonight. After reading positive reviews here and elsewhere, I was excited to finally try it. I'm only having about an ounce pour, so not enough for a full assessment, but my first impressions are very positive. Very nice mouthfeel, drinkable at full proof, and notes of cocoa, molasses, and interesting baking spices that I can't pinpoint right now. Really good stuff. Will post more notes as I work my way though the bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joining the chorus on the '04 Foursquare.  Picked up a few of these for the bunker.  Easily the best rum value of the year!  Tons of flavor!!

Dug into the back of the cabinet tonight and found my bottle of Jamaican K&L 14 year.  Who loves the funk!! Me me!

Edited by fussychicken

Dug into the back of the cabinet tonight and found my bottle of Jamaican K&L 14 year.  Who loves the funk!! Me me!

That reminds me of Old Gregg

I love that 14yo Jamaican rum too. I'm about halfway through my bottle and wish I had a backup.

I'm drinking a newer Faultline rum, the 15yo Nicaraguan they brought in a couple months ago. No funk in this one (to be expected), but it's a nice sipping rum. Very whiskey like with lots of spices and toasted oak. Only the finish gives it away as rum, as it's here that some molasses creeps in. It's a little bland compared to the Caribbean rum they brought in at the same time, so I didn't fully appreciate it at first, but this is good stuff.

First night in St Lucia before heading out on a rum cruise on Sunday and having dinner and rum cocktails in a local bar in Gros Islet with a decent rum selection. Met up with the leader of the rum cruise and had a good time talking rum!

Finished with something I had neither seen nor heard of before which, while certainly not impossible, is getting a bit harder to do!  A Borgoe 15yo from Surinam. A little low in proof but otherwise very interesting and enjoyable with a good long finish with a fairly aromatic component of some sort of fresh hardwood wood shavings and perhaps a touch of menthol/eucalyptus going on.

12 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

First night in St Lucia before heading out on a rum cruise on Sunday and having dinner and rum cocktails in a local bar in Gros Islet with a decent rum selection. Met up with the leader of the rum cruise and had a good time talking rum!

Finished with something I had neither seen nor heard of before which, while certainly not impossible, is getting a bit harder to do!  A Borgoe 15yo from Surinam. A little low in proof but otherwise very interesting and enjoyable with a good long finish with a fairly aromatic component of some sort of fresh hardwood wood shavings and perhaps a touch of menthol/eucalyptus going on.

Uh-oh.  On assignment, again.  Will this hit make the papers?  Castro?!?!

Just now, smokinjoe said:

If I told you I'd have to, well you know how it goes!

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I know the drill...;)  

Yeah, if he told you, he'd have to drill ya'. :lol:

Sounds like a fun trip! What does the rum cruise entail?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:29 AM, Kpiz said:

Sounds like a fun trip! What does the rum cruise entail?

Survived another trip down island with only minimal damage! The cruise involved typically a rum cocktail in the afternoon along with the usual snacks and then a tasting of several rums after dinner, usually with some sort of theme but not always, and then for the hard core rummies amongst the passengers it would continue with more rum and contemplation of the stars (and the "super" moon of course) into the night as we traveled from port to port.

We started in St. Lucia and stopped in Martinique, Dominica, Isle des Saintes and Marie Galant (the last two being two smaller islands that are a part of Guadeloupe. We did not get to the main islands of Guadeloupe). During the day it was usually time at the beach, shopping, organized tours on the island, etc. But since this was a rum tour I reached out to the rum cruise leader beforehand (Dave Russell of the Rum Gallery from near you in the bay area). He did a great job and between us we probably had more than 15 rums on board to share.

But he also worked with the captain and the weather cooperated so we also were able to take trips to distilleries for those who wanted to go (I obviously wanted to!) when the chance presented itself. We went to St. Pierre in Martinique and toured Depaz (was going to try to get to Neisson as well but lunch on the island turned into an all afternoon affair!). In Marie Galante we made it to both Poisson, home of Pere Labat, and Bielle, which is also where Rhum Rhum Liberation is made. Bellevue alas was just out of reach in the time available. Both of these were pretty small and very casual distilleries.

In Dominica I went on my own to Macoucherie (an even smaller distillery that was damaged by storms last year) and Belfast (which it turns out hasn't made rum in years, they merely import it from Trinidad, most likely cane based NGS from Angostura at 95% ABV, and bottle it with some aging done on the island). Neither brand exports to the US but my suitcases were full and while the rums were interesting to try I didn't feel compelled to bring one home.

I did however manage to bring a few back!

St Lucia 1931 2014 10 cane clement canne bleu 2009 depaz 2002.JPGSt Lucia 1931 2014 label close up.JPG

A 1931 from St Lucia (The 2014 vintage. The 2016 wasn't released yet. I brought the 2015 home last trip. Each vintage is supposedly a bit different as St. Lucia distillery has 2 column and 3 pot stills including a Vendome) and a 10 Cane I saw in a local store which was a curiosity buy (Trinidad Agricole or so it claims). I also found a 2009 vintage Clement Bleu Canne and picked up a 2002 vintage Depaz that was bottled in 2013.

Marie Galant rhum Bielle pere labat.JPGpere labal 8 1997.JPGRhum Bieele 40 anniversary canne griese.JPG

From Marie Galante I got 2 from Poisson including the Pere Labat 8yo and a 1997 vintage that was allegedly bottled last year. From Bielle I picked up the 40th Anniversary blend at cask strength and an unusual blanc made exclusively from the grey species of sugar cane grown on Marie Galante. Both distilleries had lots to try and Bielle was essentially an open bar with more than a dozen to try including the Rhum Rhum Liberation (which was about half the cost so I couldn't resist picking one up!).

Needless to say, the suitcases were full (both ways for that matter!).

17 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Survived another trip down island with only minimal damage! The cruise involved typically a rum cocktail in the afternoon along with the usual snacks and then a tasting of several rums after dinner, usually with some sort of theme but not always, and then for the hard core rummies amongst the passengers it would continue with more rum and contemplation of the stars (and the "super" moon of course) into the night as we traveled from port to port.

We started in St. Lucia and stopped in Martinique, Dominica, Isle des Saintes and Marie Galant (the last two being two smaller islands that are a part of Guadeloupe. We did not get to the main islands of Guadeloupe). During the day it was usually time at the beach, shopping, organized tours on the island, etc. But since this was a rum tour I reached out to the rum cruise leader beforehand (Dave Russell of the Rum Gallery from near you in the bay area). He did a great job and between us we probably had more than 15 rums on board to share.

But he also worked with the captain and the weather cooperated so we also were able to take trips to distilleries for those who wanted to go (I obviously wanted to!) when the chance presented itself. We went to St. Pierre in Martinique and toured Depaz (was going to try to get to Neisson as well but lunch on the island turned into an all afternoon affair!). In Marie Galante we made it to both Poisson, home of Pere Labat, and Bielle, which is also where Rhum Rhum Liberation is made. Bellevue alas was just out of reach in the time available. Both of these were pretty small and very casual distilleries.

In Dominica I went on my own to Macoucherie (an even smaller distillery that was damaged by storms last year) and Belfast (which it turns out hasn't made rum in years, they merely import it from Trinidad, most likely cane based NGS from Angostura at 95% ABV, and bottle it with some aging done on the island). Neither brand exports to the US but my suitcases were full and while the rums were interesting to try I didn't feel compelled to bring one home.

St Lucia 1931 2014 10 cane clement canne bleu 2009 depaz 2002.JPGSt Lucia 1931 2014 label close up.JPG

A 1931 from St Lucia (The 2014 vintage. The 2016 wasn't released yet. I brought the 2015 home last trip. Each vintage is supposedly a bit different as St. Lucia distillery has 2 column and 3 pot stills including a Vendome) and a 10 Cane I saw in a local store which was a curiosity buy (Trinidad Agricole or so it claims). I also found a 2009 vintage Clement Bleu Canne and picked up a 2002 vintage Depaz that was bottled in 2013.

Marie Galant rhum Bielle pere labat.JPGpere labal 8 1997.JPGRhum Bieele 40 anniversary canne griese.JPG

From Marie Galante I got 2 from Poisson including the Pere Labat 8yo and a 1997 vintage that was allegedly bottled last year. From Bielle I picked up the 40th Anniversary blend at cask strength and an unusual blanc made exclusively from the grey species of sugar cane grown on Marie Galante. Both distilleries had lots to try and Bielle was essentially an open bar with more than a dozen to try including the Rhum Rhum Liberation (which was about half the cost so I couldn't resist picking one up!).

Very nice haul!

Great Haul, and sounds like a great trip.  -- 

You will enjoy the Bielle barrel proof. A limited release - good score!

That vintage of the 1931 is the only one of the four currently released that has added sugar but it does and admirable job of delivering a complex profile despite the sugars numbing effect. Another nice score.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the Pere Labat, have been tempted but never pulled the trigger.

21 minutes ago, sailor22 said:

Great Haul, and sounds like a great trip.  -- 

You will enjoy the Bielle barrel proof. A limited release - good score!

That vintage of the 1931 is the only one of the four currently released that has added sugar but it does and admirable job of delivering a complex profile despite the sugars numbing effect. Another nice score.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on the Pere Labat, have been tempted but never pulled the trigger.

I got to spend a little time with the head of the lab at St Lucia Distillers and it was interesting to hear the differences between each of those vintages of the 1931. I will try to find the pictures of the charts they had. The 2014 contained a portion (10% or so) of local cane juice rum from a pot still in the blend. I also got to taste samples of the agricole they made as a blanc and multiple years of rum from the pot stills up to 15yo including some finished in port. Those were some really good rums!

I really liked the Pere Labat 1997 which I sampled at the distillery before buying. Claims to be about 18yo (bottled last year) and it is a really dry whiskey forward rum but oddly a relatively limited amount of color. I suppose that is a good indication that are not adding any color. Must have been some really well used barrels!

As others have said, this sounds like a great trip. May need to burn some PTO and visit some of these distilleries...especially Bielle, since it seems like they let you try quite a few things. Would love to see some island pics if you have them.

I didn't realize the Rum Gallery/Dave Russell is based near me. Do you know if they organize any rum events here?

7 hours ago, sailor22 said:

Dave is friendly and responsive to rum interested people - you can contact him on Facebook.

Thanks, Sailor. I'll look him up on FB.

Hi all. I'm a bourbon and rye drinker experimenting with some other aged liquor just to see what else is out there. I reached out to Bruce and he was kind enough to provide some recommendations for a rum newbie. I picked up a bottle of Appleton 12 year 86 proof. I am half Jamaican so there was some connection there for me. So far, I am very happy with it. Strong molasses and brown sugar sweet flavor and good balance. I'm not sure what else I should be finding in it but I like it so far. No burn at 86 proof. I may add a cube to see if it changes the flavor at all. I may start spending some time with y'all fine folks. 

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Hi all. I'm a bourbon and rye drinker experimenting with some other aged liquor just to see what else is out there. I reached out to Bruce and he was kind enough to provide some recommendations for a rum newbie. I picked up a bottle of Appleton 12 year 86 proof. I am half Jamaican so there was some connection there for me. So far, I am very happy with it. Strong molasses and brown sugar sweet flavor and good balance. I'm not sure what else I should be finding in it but I like it so far. No burn at 86 proof. I may add a cube to see if it changes the flavor at all. I may start spending some time with y'all fine folks. 

For just starting to venture in to the world of rum, you picked a very good start.  You can't go wrong with anything from Appleton, Mt. Gay or Doorly's/Four Square.  These are all unadulterated rums.  There are quite a few out there that are so full of sugar, they pass more for a liqueur than an actual rum.

Welcome aboard Charlutz. Your off to a great start!  Try sticking with Rums that don't have sugar added to get a good understanding of the possibilities of aged Rum. Most rums on the shelf in the USA are sugar bombs or fruity cocktails in a bottle so expect to be ordering on line from both the US and Europe for a much better selection of Pure Rums.  Enjoy and post back often with your impressions. 

Recommended bottles for a wide sampling that are easily found in the USA;

Appleton 21

Mount Gay XO

Foursquare 2004,

Foursquare Zin finish and Port finish

Barbancourt 8yr

Clement 6yr

Hamilton Demerara

Hamilton St Lucia Pot Still

On November 11, 2016 at 8:56 PM, smokinjoe said:

Hmmmmmm.....Uh, Bruce?  

I am sure I had nothing to do with this even though I was in the "islands" recently! Probably...