What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

I finally tried the Plantation XO 20th Anniversary. I was hesitant to buy a bottle so I waited until I found it in a bar for a good price.

The rum itself was pleasant but it tasted like it had all kinds of flavoring in it. I know we joke about some rums being a cocktail in a bottle, but that's really what this tasted like to me. Glad I tried it, but I think I'll hold off on buying a bottle.

17 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I finally tried the Plantation XO 20th Anniversary. I was hesitant to buy a bottle so I waited until I found it in a bar for a good price.

The rum itself was pleasant but it tasted like it had all kinds of flavoring in it. I know we joke about some rums being a cocktail in a bottle, but that's really what this tasted like to me. Glad I tried it, but I think I'll hold off on buying a bottle.

I have been hesitant on that one as well, the last Plantation I picked up was a private barrel 8yr Panama Rum and my review would be it is over flavored and tastes like every other Plantation Rum I have had.  Apart from OFTD I don't see myself picking anything from Plantation in the future.

On 7/18/2017 at 9:47 AM, kevinbrink said:

I have been hesitant on that one as well, the last Plantation I picked up was a private barrel 8yr Panama Rum and my review would be it is over flavored and tastes like every other Plantation Rum I have had.  Apart from OFTD I don't see myself picking anything from Plantation in the future.

The Stiggins Pineapple is worth having as well. But it and OFTD are the only ones I would buy.

Having a pour of Cockspur VSOR 12 with an ice cube, and enjoying it just fine.

Nothing right now, unfortunately, since I'm at work.  However, after I wake up this afternoon I think I'll pull my bottle of Bones off the shelf for a pull.  Picked it up in St. Thomas and wish I'd got several bottles!

I'm enjoying a last large pour of the Faultline 17yo Caribbean Rum from K&L, which they implied is from Cuba. It's heavy, funky, and fruity, just the kind of rum I enjoy most. Luckily I picked up a backup bottle or two because I really like this.

I started the night with some funky rum so figured I should end it with some extra funky rum. Finally opened one of my bottles of Stolen overproof 6yo Jamaican pot still rum that I bought after reading kevinbrink's positive review a while back. This is surprisingly drinkable at full strength of 123 proof and is full of flavor. I get molasses, exotic spices, and a bunch of grilled fruit flavors (pineapple, plum). This is tremendous stuff and a very good value at $18/half bottle.

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I started the night with some funky rum so figured I should end it with some extra funky rum. Finally opened one of my bottles of Stolen overproof 6yo Jamaican pot still rum that I bought after reading kevinbrink's positive review a while back. This is surprisingly drinkable at full strength of 123 proof and is full of flavor. I get molasses, exotic spices, and a bunch of grilled fruit flavors (pineapple, plum). This is tremendous stuff and a very good value at $18/half bottle.

Yeah I really like that one and agreed really a great value. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 4:43 PM, Kpiz said:

Do you know if the Tommy Bahama white rum was made at foursquare as well? I don't remember ever seeing the aged version but the unaged one is still hanging around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember buying those on clearance many years ago. I assumed they were overpriced gimmick bourbon in a fancy bottle. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not the case. Now that I have found Foursquare many years later and the fact that this was made by them makes me regret not saving a bottle or two. I remember those bottles being heavy duty.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, sailor22 said:

You nailed it with the "more fruit" -- the 12yr uses Maderia casks in the blend. XO is all Bourbon barrels.

This explains why it came off to me as more sweet then the R.L Seale 10 year I tasted blind SBS. I still found it enjoyable but would rather pick up the 10 yr instead.

9 hours ago, Bbstout said:

This explains why it came off to me as more sweet then the R.L Seale 10 year I tasted blind SBS. I still found it enjoyable but would rather pick up the 10 yr instead.

If that is the case the 2004 is going to be more your bag then the other higher end Four Square expressions. 

9 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

If that is the case the 2004 is going to be more your bag then the other higher end Four Square expressions. 

Good to hear as I just ordered a couple bottles of 2004. When you say higher end bottles of foursquare, are you referring to criterion and 2006? Let me know if you have any other suggestions for rums similar to rl seale 10/foursquare 2004.

3 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Good to hear as I just ordered a couple bottles of 2004. When you say higher end bottles of foursquare, are you referring to criterion and 2006? Let me know if you have any other suggestions for rums similar to rl seale 10/foursquare 2004.

Yep that is what I was referring to. What else, I would pick up a bottle of Mount Gay XO maybe or if you want to drift a little further maybe Appleton 12. Neither should be terribly expensive and both are fantastic bottles that are widely available.  

8 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Yep that is what I was referring to. What else, I would pick up a bottle of Mount Gay XO maybe or if you want to drift a little further maybe Appleton 12. Neither should be terribly expensive and both are fantastic bottles that are widely available.  

I bought a bottle of Appleton 12. For some reason it tastes different then the last bottle I remember which I probably bought 10 years ago. Still good but different.

Worked on this one over the weekend -  Intriguing complex nose with sweet fruit and woody notes over  brown sugar and tobacco. The palate is sweet and dry against a spicy background. The sweetness and dryness trade places throughout the medium length finish. Delicious and entertaining. A pure Single Blended rum from Barbaos. IMHO Retails way below it's true value.  

RMcC7.jpg

13 minutes ago, sailor22 said:

Worked on this one over the weekend -  Intriguing complex nose with sweet fruit and woody notes over  brown sugar and tobacco. The palate is sweet and dry against a spicy background. The sweetness and dryness trade places throughout the medium length finish. Delicious and entertaining. A pure Single Blended rum from Barbaos. IMHO Retails way below it's true value.  

RMcC7.jpg

I like this one a lot as well, with all they talk surrounding the Foursquare branded LE's this one seems to get a little lost in the shuffle, but for higher proof version of Doorly's 12 it kind of hits the mark right where one would expect.

Or maybe a slightly older version of the much ballyhooed (including by me) 10yo Foursquare Criterion, which is also ex-bourbon and ex-madeira, with the proof cut down to 92? Will have to inquire if this one is available in town. Might luck it probably isn't.

I'd like to find that one as well but have yet to see any of the Real McCoy rums in San Francisco. They have a tool on their website to help people find their rums, which is nice: http://www.realmccoyspirits.com/locator. Most of the places listed in SF are sort of off the beaten spirits path, so maybe I'll make make this one of my weekend adventures.

40 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'd like to find that one as well but have yet to see any of the Real McCoy rums in San Francisco. They have a tool on their website to help people find their rums, which is nice: http://www.realmccoyspirits.com/locator. Most of the places listed in SF are sort of off the beaten spirits path, so maybe I'll make make this one of my weekend adventures.

That is wild, as I just blabbed about in one of the other threads they are fairly common around my area.

18 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

That is wild, as I just blabbed about in one of the other threads they are fairly common around my area.

Given the back story they have adopted I suppose they could have a bit more focused on the Northeast. I see the basic line in Atlanta, just not sure about this special edition.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:50 AM, Kpiz said:

Hi-Time has it — you can do some stocking up and take advantage of that cheap shipping!

• 2 weeks later...

They're all over Texas, Bruce. Total Wine should be carrying it near you.

Edited by The Black Tot

On 7/28/2017 at 0:07 PM, Bbstout said:

I remember buying those on clearance many years ago. I assumed they were overpriced gimmick rum in a fancy bottle.

Well, they WERE overpriced rum in a fancy bottle. Sure, it's Foursquare, but it's not very old, and you'd never buy these over a RLS10yr if they weren't on clearance.

On 10/8/2016 at 5:43 PM, Kpiz said:

Do you know if the Tommy Bahama white rum was made at foursquare as well? I don't remember ever seeing the aged version but the unaged one is still hanging around here.

Yes it was made by Foursquare, and it's not unaged - It's aged 3yrs with the color filtered out of it.

I highly recommend the standard Real McCoy 12 yr. that I'm sipping on again, this afternoon.  This bottle has been very enjoyable, so far.  Not overly sweet, and with nice bourbon-like notes throughout that make it nice for a bourbon-centric drinker like me.  Viscous and satiny over the palate, if subdued in taste.  Finish is mild, but does linger for a good bit, and this is where it's rumminess does exert its presence along with oak.  Solid stuff.

IMG_3829.JPG