What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, The Black Tot said:

They're all over Texas, Bruce. Total Wine should be carrying it near you.

I do so dislike going to Total Wine. The one closest to me is the one that doesn't carry liquor and the others are a major journey across town. I suppose if I an in the vicinity I could suspend my distaste long enough to take a look!

"Totally" with ya, but sometimes they're easier than buying from out of state.

They're the only ones who carry Foursquare at all in Texas, for example.

47 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I do so dislike going to Total Wine. The one closest to me is the one that doesn't carry liquor and the others are a major journey across town. I suppose if I an in the vicinity I could suspend my distaste long enough to take a look!

On the plus side you can check their inventory before you go online so you don't go for no reason.

28 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

On the plus side you can check their inventory before you go online so you don't go for no reason.

+/- 1 or 2 on the accuracy, in my experience...

7 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

+/- 1 or 2 on the accuracy, in my experience...

Yeah I just place the order for store pickup so I know if they actually have it.

On 8/12/2017 at 2:20 PM, The Black Tot said:

Yes it was made by Foursquare, and it's not unaged - It's aged 3yrs with the color filtered out of it.

Thanks for the info! There's a Drink Hacker review calling the white rum "woody", so I guess that makes sense. Not that I put much stock into DH's ratings or tasting notes.

I thought the Tommy Bahama "Golden Sun" was a 3yo as well. Is the only difference between the two that the White Sand is highly filtered to remove color? Or am I mistaken that the GS is also 3yo? It appears too dark to have spent only 3 years in the barrel, given that it's just 80 proof.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Thanks for the info! There's a Drink Hacker review calling the white rum "woody", so I guess that makes sense. Not that I put much stock into DH's ratings or tasting notes.

I thought the Tommy Bahama "Golden Sun" was a 3yo as well. Is the only difference between the two that the White Sand is highly filtered to remove color? Or am I mistaken that the GS is also 3yo? It appears too dark to have spent only 3 years in the barrel, given that it's just 80 proof.

Always possible if the rum was bought in bulk and bottled outside Barbados that it had color added. I think they were both 3 years old, give or take.

Golden Sun was not colored nor flavored. It may have been 6yr IIRC, but White Sand was a filtered 3. Like Havana Club 3yr.

dabf605c330a19ac0dad0164d082d6cf.jpg

I'm very early in my rum journey, having only bought a half dozen bottles and tasted a few more. My palate isn't picking out flavors as confidently as I pick them out of whiskey but I am liking the rum. Bought the McCoy 12 year today for $47 plus tax and opened it tonight. I asked a local store to order it and they came through. I find it drier than the other rums I've tasted and am really enjoying it. Taking my firstborn to start her college career at UNC tomorrow and the rum is doing me nicely as I reflect on the evolution of my family. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I'm very early in my rum journey, having only bought a half dozen bottles and tasted a few more. My palate isn't picking out flavors as confidently as I pick them out of whiskey but I am liking the rum. Bought the McCoy 12 year today for $47 plus tax and opened it tonight. I asked a local store to order it and they came through. I find it drier than the other rums I've tasted and am really enjoying it. Taking my firstborn to start her college career at UNC tomorrow and the rum is doing me nicely as I reflect on the evolution of my family. Cheers!

This is a good one.  My only criticism is the low abv.  

I really need to get my hands on some Real McCoy rum so I can try it SBS with other FS rums.

I'll always remember when my folks dropped me off at the dorms, that's a special time. No surprise that you're in a reflective mood. Enjoy the trip, and don't forget to pack some good rum!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a pour from these in a while, both are much better than I had expected.

IMG_20170829_202643376.jpg

I really enjoy the PM and the EHP; the ICBU requires a bit more focus for me, but it does have its place. Good stuff.

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

I really enjoy the PM and the EHP; the ICBU requires a bit more focus for me, but it does have its place. Good stuff.

I haven't had the EHP I picked up the PM and the ICBU on clearance for $45 but haven't seen the EHP around aside from places that would ship for $80 plus shipping which is hard to justify for me based on other things I could buy at that price point.

In the beginning of my rum journey I've only had aged 80 proofers. Until now. Wow. This is a big rum. Is this the only Plantation product you guys like? Is it unadulterated? I love the flavor and the kick in the pants. I'm not sure I could pick out added flavors if they are there, so I'm not a rum snob yet, just trying to do it the right way. I love this one. 

IMG_3182.JPG

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

In the beginning of my rum journey I've only had aged 80 proofers. Until now. Wow. This is a big rum. Is this the only Plantation product you guys like? Is it unadulterated? I love the flavor and the kick in the pants. I'm not sure I could pick out added flavors if they are there, so I'm not a rum snob yet, just trying to do it the right way. I love this one. 

IMG_3182.JPG

It's a pretty fantastic pour to me, I wouldn't say I dislike Plantation products as much as most of them are pretty damn similar because of the Cognac finishing so I don't feel much need to purchase anything other than OFTD which is an affordable powerhouse. The Stiggin's fancy Pineapple is spoken of fondly by a few of the folks here, but I myself have not had it.

I don't think it's unadulterated, but it gets a pass because it's been blended primarily for a tiki cocktail aficionado as opposed to the sipping rum aficionado. And as a tiki cocktail float, it does exactly what it says on the tin, it was selected by some very important tiki aficionados (on the label IIRC), it's shockingly affordable, and yes, it tastes good.

I bought a 12 case in case it goes away. But I'm like that.

Stiggins is the same - not designed as a sipper, but people do.

Lastly, note that they put the strength at 69% - I'm pretty sure they did this because one more percentage point and you couldn't legally take it on planes, a problem for most fans of overproof rums at the traditional proof of 151 - anything over 140 is illegal on planes.

Edited by The Black Tot

Thanks fellas. That's helpful. I've discovered I like rum and this one has pushed it to a new level of enjoyment for me. 

Was rearranging my liquor cabinet (because had nothing better to do at 3am on a Saturday night). Found samples I kept from some of my first rum bottles who knows how many years ago: Mount Gay XO, and Appleton 12. Drinking them SBS, and these basics still impress me with their quality.

Got into the Foursquare Criterion over the weekend a bit. Just as good as I remember and stood up well against a variety of whiskey and other spirits (since I seldom seem to stay in one genre when at leisure to drink). Had planned to do some reorganizing of the liquor collection but never did seem to get around to that. Can't imagine why...

I tried Matusalum for the first time 30 years ago and was quite impressed. It might have been my first premium rum, along with the Appleton Estate 12 yr. and the Mount Gay XO. I see it's still out there, in several price ranges. I'm no expert on rum, as I'm still learning compared to bourbon and scotch, but I was wondering what the members here thought about it.

Edited by BourbonDude

• 2 weeks later...

Just opened this one and it is outstanding.  I'm new to rum, but I can see this one being one I would gravitate towards.

IMG_6587.JPG

Edited by NDN98

On 9/5/2017 at 2:28 PM, BourbonDude said:

I tried Matusalum for the first time 30 years ago and was quite impressed. It might have been my first premium rum, along with the Appleton Estate 12 yr. and the Mount Gay XO. I see it's still out there, in several price ranges. I'm no expert on rum, as I'm still learning compared to bourbon and scotch, but I was wondering what the members here thought about it.

A light multi column still product in the Cuban style currently distilled in PR. The slight raisin note you get is from macerated prunes infused post distillation. Similar to the way Gin is made. Because very little if any sugar is added the flavors are a bit more distinct than many of the sugar bomb lighter rums.

This is from a week or so ago - just getting around to posting it.

Sipping a new arrival with the always insightful Rick Kingsley.. Thanks for your contribution Rick.
A bottling of Bielle Agricole 14yr juice by Tres Hombres. A single barrel, one of 6 aged in American Oak yielding a total of 1610 bottles at 44%. Retail is something near 64 Euro. Doesn't say if it's filtered or not but shows plenty of white fatty floaters so my guess is it isn't.
A cool presentation with a rustic label and details printed on both sides of the label so you have to read through the juice, fun if a little challenging for these old eyes.
The slight and not particularly complex or engaging nose shows the expected earthy and vegital notes and perhaps a sprinkle of cardamom.
A pleasant and easily approachable palate with subtle lemon grass and green apple against a very subtle sweetness. Nice mouth feel but almost too polite.
The finish is the best part of this dram with lingering sweet and earthy balance that plays against some heat. Very nice.
As bottled a soft enjoyable easy drinker with a very good lingering finish. Would love to sample this at a more robust proof.
We agreed we were left with a rum that's too subtle to be a distinctive cocktail ingredient and not engaging enough to be an impressive sipper. Call it a somewhat pricey easy drinker for that odd day you crave something neither too sweet or challenging.

We agreed we were left with a rum that's too subtle to be a distinctive cocktail ingredient and not engaging enough to be an impressive sipper. Call it a somewhat pricey easy drinker for that odd day you crave something neither too sweet or challenging.

Tres Hombres VIII Bielle.jpg