What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

I opened up my bottle of Foursquare 2004 recently. I'm surprised by how similar this is to Mount Gay Black Barrel/XO, very similar flavor profile but at a higher proof. That's not a bad thing as I quite like Mount Gay, I just expected there would be more of a style difference between the distilleries.

I think the 2004 is the best rum I've had so far. I'm still a rum noob, and searching for rums that I enjoy sipping as much as a nice whiskey or armagnac. I'm not sure the Foursquare is that, but it certainly is a great rum. I've ordered 10 rum samples of various styles from Master of Malt to try and educate myself better on what rum is all about, including some of the recommendations from this thread (thanks again! @sailor22) but had to ship them to a friend in another state as MoM doesn't ship to Iowa, so I'll have to wait until next month when I travel to try my new rum babies.

I also bought a bottle of Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black on a whim, as I was surprised to see it at a local LS. This is apparently unaged Jamaican Pot still colored with caramel. It smells like petrol but tastes surprisingly nice, I think this is what people mean when they talk about funk. This stuff is funky as hell.

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

I opened up my bottle of Foursquare 2004 recently. I'm surprised by how similar this is to Mount Gay Black Barrel/XO, very similar flavor profile but at a higher proof. That's not a bad thing as I quite like Mount Gay, I just expected there would be more of a style difference between the distilleries.

I think the 2004 is the best rum I've had so far. I'm still a rum noob, and searching for rums that I enjoy sipping as much as a nice whiskey or armagnac. I'm not sure the Foursquare is that, but it certainly is a great rum. I've ordered 10 rum samples of various styles from Master of Malt to try and educate myself better on what rum is all about, including some of the recommendations from this thread (thanks again! @sailor22) but had to ship them to a friend in another state as MoM doesn't ship to Iowa, so I'll have to wait until next month when I travel to try my new rum babies.

I also bought a bottle of Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black on a whim, as I was surprised to see it at a local LS. This is apparently unaged Jamaican Pot still colored with caramel. It smells like petrol but tastes surprisingly nice, I think this is what people mean when they talk about funk. This stuff is funky as hell.

Hamilton is pretty available here and I find their releases pretty damned dependable and some are outright stellar, according to the Hamilton/Ministry of Rum site both the Jamaican Black and Gold contain rums aged up to 5 years. Most of the reviews state that they are the same rum with different coloring added but my recollection is the gold has more funk to it and both are the same proof IIRC. 

Prior to the current Mount Gay Black Barrel there was a 100 proof Eclipse Black that was a higher percentage of Pot still than the standard eclipse, I have a few of those kicking around and I probably like that the best of all the Mt Gay Rums if you ever see one of those I would recommend picking it up it should be nice and cheap to boot.

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Hamilton is pretty available here and I find their releases pretty damned dependable and some are outright stellar, according to the Hamilton/Ministry of Rum site both the Jamaican Black and Gold contain rums aged up to 5 years. Most of the reviews state that they are the same rum with different coloring added but my recollection is the gold has more funk to it and both are the same proof IIRC. 

Prior to the current Mount Gay Black Barrel there was a 100 proof Eclipse Black that was a higher percentage of Pot still than the standard eclipse, I have a few of those kicking around and I probably like that the best of all the Mt Gay Rums if you ever see one of those I would recommend picking it up it should be nice and cheap to boot.

Thanks for the info, I just looked at the Ministry of Rum site and it looks like up to 5 years is correct. I thought I read something else that said it was unaged.

Interestingly enough, the Hamilton reminds me of some argicole rums I tried at Kohana in Hawaii, specifically the petrol thing/funk. That was really prevalent with their unaged argicoles. But yeah on the palate the Hamilton tastes like an aged rum so it really messed with me. IIRC Kohana uses a pot still connected to a column.

I just poured a wee bit of the Hamilton, the nose is like a mix of petrol and black licorice. So weird and funky. My brain thinks I should hate it, but I sort of like it. My wife refuses to be in the same room as it.

Edited by EarthQuake

1 minute ago, EarthQuake said:

Thanks for the info, I just looked at the Ministry of Rum site and it looks like up to 5 years is correct. I thought I read something else that said it was unaged.

Interestingly enough, the Hamilton reminds me of some argicole rums I tried at Kohana in Hawaii, specifically the petrol thing/funk. That was really prevalent with their unaged argicoles. But yeah on the palate the Hamilton tastes like an aged rum so it really messed with me. IIRC Kohana uses a pot still connected to a column.

If you dig the profile, I can't recommend Smith and Cross more strongly same price range, higher proof more funk, similar age, no discernible coloring or sweetening to me.

• I like it 1

If you dig the profile, I can't recommend Smith and Cross more strongly same price range, higher proof more funk, similar age, no discernible coloring or sweetening to me.

I’m a big fan of the S&C as well. I’m fairly certain it has no sugar added but it must have some color added, right? Seems too dark not to considering its young age

10 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I’m a big fan of the S&C as well. I’m fairly certain it has no sugar added but it must have some color added, right? Seems too dark not to considering its young age

I never found it particularly dark and it's a high proof so that would help to not wash out the color, though IIRC most/all of the aging actually happens in the UK? That being said I'm fairly color blind so that may also be at play here.

I never found it particularly dark and it's a high proof so that would help to not wash out the color, though IIRC most/all of the aging actually happens in the UK? That being said I'm fairly color blind so that may also be at play here.

Yeah I think you’re right about the aging. I also think it also has an unaged component. It’s not especially dark, just seems too dark for how young it is. Coloring doesn’t really bother me too much though.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, kevinbrink said:

The S&C sounds good to me but can't get it ordered from local stores, would have to order it online. Is $45ish a decent price after shipping and handling?

Back on the road, so enjoying a Smith & Cross followed by a Hamilton Jamaica Pot Still Gold at the hotel bar while waiting for the room to be ready. Nice to have such options.

7 hours ago, emr454 said:

The S&C sounds good to me but can't get it ordered from local stores, would have to order it online. Is $45ish a decent price after shipping and handling?

I pay between $25 and $30 locally, might be worth waiting until Astor Wines has a sale, if you never ordered from them I think you get free shipping with your first order.

I picked this little guy up a few weeks ago and decided to bring it with me on my travels. Best rum cocktail I’ve had in a while!

79bb7e8d61c8e65b558241a0251f4cc6.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/24/2018 at 11:01 PM, kevinbrink said:

I pay between $25 and $30 locally, might be worth waiting until Astor Wines has a sale, if you never ordered from them I think you get free shipping with your first order.

Free shipping over $99 so I'll have to wait for the bank account to catch up with my recent spending spree.

3 hours ago, emr454 said:

Free shipping over $99 so I'll have to wait for the bank account to catch up with my recent spending spree.

Ah sorry for the misinformation then.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Ah sorry for the misinformation then.

No problem. I'm sure I can find $99 worth of liquor to order but my wife may skin me if I do it right now haha!

• I like it 1

On 2/26/2018 at 3:51 AM, Kpiz said:

I picked this little guy up a few weeks ago and decided to bring it with me on my travels. Best rum cocktail I’ve had in a while!

And one of my favorites as well. Overpriced for being a cocktail but I have found some for $75 on close out and stocked up.

On 2/26/2018 at 3:51 AM, Kpiz said:

I'm amazed that they make minis of such a high end expression. Now I want BTAC minis with the original bottle design.

I'm amazed that they make minis of such a high end expression. Now I want BTAC minis with the original bottle design.

Yeah, I was surprised as well. This was the first time I’d seen it and I don’t think I’d tried it before so I had to grab it. Plus it was just $10.

Picked up a Barbancourt 8yr yesterday and I'm getting into it this evening.  Keep in mind this is my first agricole, but I find alot of similarities to Blanco tequilas. Green vegetal notes, some burning plastic, and a hint of classic rum notes in this one. Interesting to say the least but I don't think it's going to become my new daily sipper.

A glorious spring morning here at Paradise Palms Resort made even more delightful by this pour of Balcones Sherry cask finished Rum. A single barrel bottling, this one's a Sherry Bomb that paired perfectly with breakfast toast and blackberry jam. The palate drinks way below it's 61.7% and balances the sherry and spicy toasty oak notes nicely. Some dryness appears late in the finish and keeps things from getting too sweet at that end.  Surprised at how much enjoyable this young rum is.  Typically don't care much for sherry finishes but this one doesn't seem to have any of the subtle sulpher notes that I pick up in most of them. Betcha this pairs really well with a cigar too. Only 144 bottles from this barrel but IMHO worth the effort to find one.

Balcones SB Sherry 107.jpg

• I like it 1

Shouldn't have started here tonight, as it will be a tough act to follow…

IMG_8849.thumb.JPG.5bd11d4dd588280c7fd6d4f04d162b55.JPG

• I like it 1

Smith & Cross. Halfway through the bottle, this earns the honor of being my fastest consumed rum. The somewhat cheap ethanol taste is fading away with time, this's become even better now.

• I like it 2

This guy is a real brute. I let it open up for 30 minutes and dropped the proof a hair-- it's a burnt butter & Luxardo cherry on wood sandwich.

IMG_8879.thumb.jpg.a4de651fad47b97177a35d667e33486e.jpg

On 3/17/2018 at 8:00 PM, Marekv8 said:

This guy is a real brute. I let it open up for 30 minutes and dropped the proof a hair-- it's a burnt butter & Luxardo cherry on wood sandwich.

IMG_8879.thumb.jpg.a4de651fad47b97177a35d667e33486e.jpg

Ummm, that sounds tasty???? :huh: