What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Ummm, that sounds tasty???? :huh:

Tasty, yes-- very.

Delicious, no-- but certainly complex and interesting.

I passed on a Blackadder Belvedere 14yo in NYC last Thursday-- but there's a possibility it could be night and day different.

I was in SF for a work trip and had the pleasure of stopping at Smuggler's Cove. I had a glass of Neisson 18, which was fantastic.

20180321_204651.jpg

20180321_210023.jpg

P3210293-Edit.jpg

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 2

Got into some Hamilton Navy strength. Wow, that's some great complex rum. Perfect balance of funk and smoky tobacco. Glad I got 2 bottles.

It was a warm day here and rum seemed like a fitting drink. Went to a local rum bar after work and had a pour of Criterion and the Rattray 18yo Caroni. Both were excellent and just as I remember.

I’m now drinking the K&L Exclusive Hampden 9yo bottled by Golden Devil. It’s tasting extra fruity and extra delicious tonight.

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

It was a warm day here and rum seemed like a fitting drink. Went to a local rum bar after work and had a pour of Criterion and the Rattray 18yo Caroni. Both were excellent and just as I remember.

I’m now drinking the K&L Exclusive Hampden 9yo bottled by Golden Devil. It’s tasting extra fruity and extra delicious tonight.

I still need to open mine! Too many opens already

Has anyone opened their Enmore 25yr Golden Devil K+L?

Sales have completely stalled on it.

9 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Has anyone opened their Enmore 25yr Golden Devil K+L?

Sales have completely stalled on it.

200 was out of my price range, that was the one of the set of rums they got in i passed on.

I know several of us bought them, but nobody has mentioned if they're great or not yet.

At that price, I may not be out completely but I'd certainly like to read a trusted opinion.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

I know several of us bought them, but nobody has mentioned if they're great or not yet.

At that price, I may not be out completely but I'd certainly like to read a trusted opinion.

I have the Faultline Enmore but i don't think I got the GD.

Correction. I bought it but haven't opened it yet. I will make it a priority.

For me the Faultline Enmore has a really solid but not overtly sweet mouthfeel up front (that I would certainly expect) that builds to a pleasant earthy, leathery and mildly woody but enjoyable character over the palate. None of the candy like sweetness of ED25. Drinks easily at proof (102.6) and finishes with that earthy, herbal character slowly developing some molasses and cocoa nib quietly through the moderately long finish. 

Thoroughly enjoy it. Is it worth $200? Is anything? A little better than, but some similarity to ED21 which, for the moment, is still a little less expensive.

Hopefully the GD Enmore will be similar. OR better!

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

Hmm. Which Enmore was that, Bruce? The last Faultline Enmore 25yr I knew about was the 100 proof with the green cane label, from about 3yrs ago ish?

I have that, and it's delicious. When did they do the 102.6 version?

I'm particularly keen on a review of this Golden Devil because it's still for sale.

It is Sunday so why wait? From the looks of the bottle I did try it before but apparently my sometimers disease erased my memory of it!

The Golden Devil also has that rich initial mouthfeel without being overly sweet but then quickly differs as the palate has more estery funk. Some wood and earthiness appear but it tends to show up more in the finish where it is also a bit drier to me. It is however remarkably drinkable at proof despite being 63%. 

I retried the Faultline first so hard to tell how much influence it might have had on the GD. Still tasting a bit of molasses/burnt sugar... :D

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Hmm. Which Enmore was that, Bruce? The last Faultline Enmore 25yr I knew about was the 100 proof with the green cane label, from about 3yrs ago ish?

I have that, and it's delicious. When did they do the 102.6 version?

I'm particularly keen on a review of this Golden Devil because it's still for sale.

Not sure of the timeline but the Faultline Enmore I have is definitely 51.3%.

5ac11c9e101ec_FaultlineEnmore2.jpg.f49def543d384e070aa000ee3abd69c3.jpg5ac11c936b89f_FaultlineEnmore1.jpg.79d5ca2da83625ce1e4b302db5426138.jpg

Thanks man.

I quite enjoyed the Cadenhead 26 year MEV ("Main Enmore Versailles"). Lots of grassy molasses and fudge flavors, although even at a 56% alcohol cask strength I would have preferred a wilder ride.

I like Demeraras to have balance but also retain a bit of an edge to them. The Cadenhead was delicious and balanced but my only beef would be it was a bit too polite for my gutter tastebuds.

Edited by The Black Tot

Yes that's definitely the Enmore I bought. Hmm. I don't know why I had that remembered as 100 proof. I thought K+L was importing them all at 100 proof due to some tax/proof considerations.

Glad to see they got through that for the latest Devils.

While we're at it the current Cadenhead MPM (Main or Medium Port Mourant) at 15yrs I think it is was NOT great. Very unbalanced and phenolic, had almost this mushroomy thing going on which I've only tasted before in some Armagnacs.

Still, I was glad to see some Demeraras coming out of the rackhouses.

I decided to have another pour of a Bacoo (Dominican Republic) 8yr rum that I opened a month or so ago that seemed a bit thin and hot for 80 proof when I first tried it. 3...ok maybe 4 pours later, and I think i have determined that I really like this for an inexpensive everyday drinker (when I'm not drinking bourbon or scotch)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While we're at it the current Cadenhead MPM (Main or Medium Port Mourant) at 15yrs I think it is was NOT great. Very unbalanced and phenolic, had almost this mushroomy thing going on which I've only tasted before in some Armagnacs.

Still, I was glad to see some Demeraras coming out of the rackhouses.

Thanks for the notes. I almost bought that MPM when I was at the London Cadenhead’s Shop over the holidays but ended up passing. Glad I did. Although I like mushrooms so maybe I would’ve enjoyed it!

In regards to the Enmore, I’ve also been watching the inventory to see if they may put it on sale. There were 245 bottles charged from the cask so they’ve sold 70% of them. If sales have halted then they may drop the price a bit in the coming months. I realize it’s a different market now than it was three years ago when they had their first 25yo Enmore, but they ended up dropping the price on that to $110 before it sold out.
  • I like it 1

This is the youngest (and hottest at 151.6 proof) of the Rhumb Runner bottles I picked up a week ago at Lincoln Road Package-- really, really nice. I just hope I haven't paralyzed my taste buds for the rest of the night.

IMG_8950.thumb.jpg.b294c597a57d431628a854e9c7e46aff.jpg

• I like it 1

I drank a lot of Real McCoy 5yo at a wedding tonight. I’m surprised at how good of a sipper it is - a little heavy on the vanilla for my taste but pretty darn good. Maybe I should try some of the younger Foursquare offerings.

Was out at a bar  and after having a few whiskeys i settled on a smith and cross old fashioned, did the trick nicely.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I drank a lot of Real McCoy 5yo at a wedding tonight. I’m surprised at how good of a sipper it is - a little heavy on the vanilla for my taste but pretty darn good. Maybe I should try some of the younger Foursquare offerings.

Even the color stripped 3 year is pretty sippable

Even the color stripped 3 year is pretty sippable

Thanks, that’s good to know. I see the RM 3yo and 5yo in bars much more often than the other expressions.

This is an exceptional bottle… I'm very happy that I took the gamble. Very tricky and transitional-- and at 143 proof, there's a lot to work with.

IMG_8967.thumb.JPG.1734241401e2516dc077ddfc8a7e2e73.JPG

• I like it 1

This is an exceptional bottle… I'm very happy that I took the gamble. Very tricky and transitional-- and at 143 proof, there's a lot to work with.

IMG_8967.thumb.JPG.1734241401e2516dc077ddfc8a7e2e73.JPG

I will have to be on the lookout for this one. Not sure if any made it to California. Does it say which still this came off of?

Not exactly rum but... Clairin Casimir and Clairin Sajous. It was a very exciting night tasting unfamiliar flavors. The folks at Backbar, Somerville are great.

IMG_20180408_201331.jpg

• I like it 1