What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

I need to do this SBS as well. Bruce let me try the 2005 in Kentucky and it tasted better than my memory of the 2004 (which I also like) but we didn’t have a 2004 to compare.

I actually was thinking that my memory of the 2004 was better than the taste of the 2005 that Bruce let me try, but I’m anxious to see what y’all think in a SBS comparison.

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I actually was thinking that my memory of the 2004 was better than the taste of the 2005 that Bruce let me try, but I’m anxious to see what y’all think in a SBS comparison.

A couple of hours ago I ran the 2005 against both the 2004 and a BB&R Barbados 11 yo (46% ABV). The 2005 was the most robust and complicated of the trio-- with a few more "moving parts" than the 2004. The BB&R had the best wood and certainly held its own, even with the drop in proof. I'll have to try a 2005/BB&R blend tomorrow.

A couple of hours ago I ran the 2005 against both the 2004 and a BB&R Barbados 11 yo (46% ABV). The 2005 was the most robust and complicated of the trio-- with a few more "moving parts" than the 2004. The BB&R had the best wood and certainly held its own, even with the drop in proof. I'll have to try a 2005/BB&R blend tomorrow.

I figured I'd be buying a 2005 anyway, but thanks for the comparison to help persuade me! [emoji3]

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

A little Hamilton action at the hotel for lunch...

IMG_9980.thumb.JPG.415c47b94e7ed4ec36bbaa8c42e3f56a.JPG

I have one of the 9 year 2005 5 or 6 barrel blend versions (which is so tasty) that I then I ordered up an 8 year 2005 single barrel bottle that hopefully will be in tomorrow.

The 9 year is really tasty at about 135 bottle proof and has shown itself well with either an ice cube or cocktail. Just the right note and amount of funk (lowish) with a complex  spice quality of cinnamon and nutmeg

Cheers,

• I like it 1

The new Plantation Jamaican courtesy of Mr. Gabriel. I had to personally thank him for the Stiggin's Pineapple my wife consumes, bettering my life. 

IMG_9992.thumb.JPG.d04cfa288cf6ce3c35a82ada0f4a5fe5.JPG

• I like it 3

Starting this weekend with a rum made just down the road from here. I expected young and restless but instead what I got was tasty and balanced with character beyond it's years. Not too much wood, not much heat, no sign of new make funk but a gentle sweetness with as good a finish as I have experienced in a 40% spirit. This is a worthy summer easy drinking sipper that I'm glad I picked up.

Local boyz done good!

TC-5.jpg

• I like it 3

Beachbum Berry's Latitude 29, Samaroli, octopus and doberge cake...

IMG_0014.thumb.JPG.5b32f0c0f004fe693856a2a1ccb18cc9.JPG

• I like it 1

Foursquare 2005, Appleton 12, Worthy Park, Diplomatico No. 1, Privateer Navy Yard, Clairin Sajous, St. Lucia Chairman's Reserve-- with a nice group of panelists. 

Round two starts in 25 minutes.

IMG_0018.thumb.JPG.cc34df04e0504018e057b105c91f8a70.JPG

• I like it 3

Round two was Clement, Rhum J.M, Don Q, English Harbour and Santa Teresa 1796. Now I've got to drive home (after a nice lunch).

IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.0655b6f1c9745a7e6de035bf4d88bf2c.JPG

In the OBX for a week at the beach with two other families. $21 for the family sized, plastic bottle 5 year. It’s sippable neat and goes into frosted drinks without conscience. Well done Mr. Seale. 

203F4AD8-FCDC-4CAF-A3E9-F18CE076D177.jpeg

• I like it 3

Been probably 3 years since last I've drank from this bottle, very tasty, nice sweetness.

nUiewSP.jpg

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Been probably 3 years since last I've drank from this bottle, very tasty, nice sweetness.

nUiewSP.jpg

Pretty close to the top of the heap for widely available sipping rums, and if you can't get down with Jamaican Rums you would probably be hard pressed to do better in my opinion. 

• I like it 1

Found this in the back of the Rum Closet, forgot I had it.  Great way to start the weekend.

Banks-3.jpg

• I like it 2

Smith and Cross.  Was new to me and I was entirely uninformed when I bought it on specifications alone.  Glad I was rewarded with the Crown Prince of Grand Funk.  The George Clinton of Rhum.  Damn, this stuff is funky.  Like a banana tire fire in the best possible way! 

• I like it 2

Smith and Cross.  Was new to me and I was entirely uninformed when I bought it on specifications alone.  Glad I was rewarded with the Crown Prince of Grand Funk.  The George Clinton of Rhum.  Damn, this stuff is funky.  Like a banana tire fire in the best possible way! 

Smith and Cross is funky good and very reasonably priced!

Mezan Guyana 2005 If memory is correct, From the Port Morant still and the same year as the El Dorado PM SB so, those were 8yo and this is 10yo. It's very nice. A few more % points would make a nice difference(and I read somewhere that Mezan will start to have some releases at a higher %) but, this is quite interesting as is.

This post was lost in the crash last night so I have reposted as best as I could recall.

mezan.jpg

Edited by Nomad

Last last call, comped by the amazing staff at the Hawthorhe's.

IMG_20180804_234651.jpg

Edited by Kane

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

Edited by Kane
Ignore. Weirdness due to bad reception.

Delightful way to start this Sunday - A well crafted agricole, not too challenging but flavorful enough to hold your interest.

Paired well with bacon and eggs this morning.

TR Multi2.jpg

Finally cracked the Paranubes... there is no way that I'd guess that this is rum in the blind, but it is very nice... as a Mezcal ????

If you enjoy green olives and brine (i do) its fabulous. I'll definitely buy a second bottle.

Finished the evening much later with some Foursquare Premise, which confused me early, but as the bottle nears its end, I am really enjoying.

Edited by Nomad