What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

My Barbancourt 15 SBS with the 8yr my buddy sent me. I am not a huge fan of the 15yr, I find it elegant but dull, and surely over oaked for my rum palate. 8yr is very similar minus the oak, so I guess that makes it a step up.

• 3 weeks later...

Strange brew as expected— but much more intriguing than the Barrell “Tales of Two Islands” expression. With the Remy Cointreau tie, I wonder if the casks are ex-Port Charlotte.

BD0E7255-FB4C-4847-935E-D6E4623AB198.thumb.jpeg.ad3ac84b83658642ad8b0cf6817c766f.jpeg0314F416-8E97-4EEB-87A1-B5CFDF904AD3.thumb.jpeg.d65bea2fd4c2f3bd46a374df9c36e434.jpeg

• I like it 3

Strange brew as expected— but much more intriguing than the Barrell “Tales of Two Islands” expression. With the Remy Cointreau tie, I wonder if the casks are ex-Port Charlotte.

BD0E7255-FB4C-4847-935E-D6E4623AB198.thumb.jpeg.ad3ac84b83658642ad8b0cf6817c766f.jpeg0314F416-8E97-4EEB-87A1-B5CFDF904AD3.thumb.jpeg.d65bea2fd4c2f3bd46a374df9c36e434.jpeg

Yeah, I get very little peat out of the “Tale of Two Islands,” but it sounds like the peat may show itself a bit more in this one. I’ll have to keep my eye out for it.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Yeah, I get very little peat out of the “Tale of Two Islands,” but it sounds like the peat may show itself a bit more in this one. I’ll have to keep my eye out for it.

Actually the peat in this case is less overt and obvious-- seems far more balanced. However, it is far more delicate than expected-- so I'll need to try it again, independent of my traditional line-up.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad this is over. I simply didn't like it as a rum, it doesn't scratch the agricole itch, and it's overoaked for any spirit in any category. (Mmm cheesepuffs)

IMG_20190124_202045.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

And?

I didn't do my homework and was expecting a doctored sweet cheap rum. This is enjoyably pungent, I went for a second pour right after. Blind it's a trap, I'd have guessed a mild Jamaican with its familiar burnt plastic banana funk, but iirc there's no Jamaican in the blend at all (?). At the same time it has some of the cloying Demerara brown sugar thing going on which I normally avoid, but the combo with funk works.

This is good everyday stuff. I need to try the gunpowder proof.

• I like it 3

On 1/26/2019 at 11:05 AM, Kane said:

I didn't do my homework and was expecting a doctored sweet cheap rum. This is enjoyably pungent, I went for a second pour right after. Blind it's a trap, I'd have guessed a mild Jamaican with its familiar burnt plastic banana funk, but iirc there's no Jamaican in the blend at all (?). At the same time it has some of the cloying Demerara brown sugar thing going on which I normally avoid, but the combo with funk works.

This is good everyday stuff. I need to try the gunpowder proof.

Pussers doesn’t disclose as far as I know but I think it was originally a blend of rums like the British Navy used which included Barbados, Guyana and Jamaica. Paul/Black tot likely knows better than I do about it. As well as most things rum! :D

• I like it 1

On 1/30/2019 at 1:31 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Pussers doesn’t disclose as far as I know but I think it was originally a blend of rums like the British Navy used which included Barbados, Guyana and Jamaica. Paul/Black tot likely knows better than I do about it. 

I know enough to know that it is in fact unknowable - firstly the British Admiralty won and lost several major rum-producing territories (in some cases the same ones time and time over) during their long rum-buying tenure, so the blend was by several reliable accounts a moving target based on what stocks were available...

...THEN we have the present day where there are but a tiny fraction of rum-producing plantations vs the landscape of pre-1970. So Pusser's has to make an approximation of an inconsistent flavor profile using a very limited range of blending elements vs what was available to the Lemon Hart company in the old days.

So it's a quivering drunken rifle pointing at a moving target - I wouldn't recommend buying too hard into the misty-eyed sentimentality of the naval authenticity.

...but I do like the taste of Pusser's, especially at gun powder proof density, and in today's market it is very reasonably priced. 

It was a dusty bottle of Pusser's that started me in earnest on my rum journey (still in progress).

As far as Bruce's graceful deference to my rum knowledge, I would say that I have a more manic obsession with a few of the Caribbean countries (two, possibly three. The spirit comes and goes), but that Bruce has a much broader and holistic understanding of the entire region (and beyond). I think someone someday may commission a tiki totem in his image.

• I like it 5

Beautiful (and room-filling) nose, but it needs a few drops of the Rhumb Rhunner 2004 Diamond Guyana (71.5% ABV) to make it stink…

IMG_0219.thumb.jpg.4832b477a586e940a4996b2d05860538.jpg

Coworker generously gave me a few samples.

One is Papa’s Pillar 24 Dark Rum. It’s a “Solera” it’s a mix of pot and column aged in bourbon casks and port casks, finished in sherry casks. Wow very interesting nose, most strong clear creek brûlée I’ve ever got from a spirit. Not as sweet as I’d expect after spelling which is probably a good thing. Coworker got it for around $35 not bad.

Plantation XO 20th anniversary from Barbados, this is really good. This is nice, has a funky vegetal nose but sweet and coconut on the palate.

Wish these where higher proof, but I’m enjoying them.

IMG_6211.JPG

Enjoying some regular old Pusser’s British Navy Rum this evening. It’s nothing special...just a good everyday affordable unadulterated drinking rum.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

So wrong on so many levels… but it seems amazingly unadulterated.

IMG_0323-1.thumb.jpg.121f0e6f549cef8df4b06c06fb75bdc1.jpg

I had one of those and I enjoyed it plenty, more so than the Doorly's/Foursquare I have in a similarly questionable bottle.

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

59 minutes ago, RWBadley said:

It looks like it should be filled with pancake syrup

Yes, I'll tell the kids its Papa's special pancake syrup.

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I had one of those and I enjoyed it plenty, more so than the Doorly's/Foursquare I have in a similarly questionable bottle.

Agreed-- it's very delicate and lingering. I don't have a bottle, but I'm imagining it'd be close to this…

D8ludEx.thumb.png.9c178129b27a60c947d8142908e5526b.png

2 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Agreed-- it's very delicate and lingering. I don't have a bottle, but I'm imagining it'd be close to this…

D8ludEx.thumb.png.9c178129b27a60c947d8142908e5526b.png

You are probably correct

First of all...not a huge Rum guy.  I started in Rum however, which led me to bourbon.  Well tonight a friend cracked these open.  I should drink more Rum. 

5C7ACAD9-6D68-4916-AB3E-46FEF5DC6153.jpeg

• I like it 6

7 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

First of all...not a huge Rum guy.  I started in Rum however, which led me to bourbon.  Well tonight a friend cracked these open.  I should drink more Rum. 

5C7ACAD9-6D68-4916-AB3E-46FEF5DC6153.jpeg

Some real nice bottles right there.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hauled out my old friend this morning to breathe some life into this thread…

IMG_0632.thumb.jpg.2e64447f9919e8a4d0e76e2148edb885.jpg

• I like it 3

I had a nice pour of this last night. I’m not always in the mood for this, but when I am...what a fantastic, funky pour!

IMG_3629.jpg

• I like it 1