What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

27 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I had a nice pour of this last night. I’m not always in the mood for this, but when I am...what a fantastic, funky pour!

IMG_3629.jpg

I imagine any pour from that bottle would be a nice one… looks quite savory.

• I like it 1

I imagine any pour from that bottle would be a nice one… looks quite savory.

Yeah, it’s pretty good stuff. It’s definitely got the cinnamon and burnt tires thing going on. That was actually an old picture...it’s actually about half gone now. I’ve also got a 16yr Duncan Taylor Caroni that’s probably a bit better actually, but it’s not quite as funky as this one.

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Shiny things tonight…

IMG_0688.thumb.jpg.939299d67b1e29b04b392d4aab72c85a.jpg

That is indeed quite shiny

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Shiny things tonight…

IMG_0688.thumb.jpg.939299d67b1e29b04b392d4aab72c85a.jpg

Shiny it may be but did you think it was any good? Especially in relation to the cost! 

My experience with the whole line (excluding Paraiso which I have never seen much less tried) has been mixed at best. To judge it fairly I would likely have to do it blind to mask my natural inclinations...

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Shiny it may be but did you think it was any good? Especially in relation to the cost! 

My experience with the whole line (excluding Paraiso which I have never seen much less tried) has been mixed at best. To judge it fairly I would likely have to do it blind to mask my natural inclinations...

I know that I'm not supposed to like it-- but it really sits well with me. Somewhere in Bacardi-land there are some old casks stashed away, because there's a strong backbone of Caribbean wood running through this liquid (in a Clément teardrop sense, but with an expected sweeter profile). I've got the Paraíso and Eximo as well-- but figured I'd work this one down a bit prior to opening them. All use synthetic corks, which is helpful with the wide neck openings.

First day of Spring Break called for a rum. I don’t do much sipping rum typically but this is pretty decent. IMG_4769.jpg

• I like it 8

• 2 weeks later...

First sip, creamy with a bit of sweetness which disappears quickly. Rich and oily. Rubber, diesel, old leather, tobacco, a plethora of sage, baking spices(less cinnamon more clove)citrus, but more lemon, mango. Mint, and menthol at the finish. Really enjoyable!

Hampden.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

A 50/50 blend of BB&R Barbados 11yo and Foursquare 2005. Proofs it down perfectly and amps the quality of maturation.

55EB95E5-EBA3-4CF9-8E98-BF6B0499A7E2.thumb.jpeg.1f8a7cd6677dc54c82e1bf2c8df12d24.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile.

k1Tc8rV.jpg

Edited by MTNBourbon
  • I like it 2

On 7/20/2018 at 12:43 PM, sailor22 said:

Starting this weekend with a rum made just down the road from here. I expected young and restless but instead what I got was tasty and balanced with character beyond it's years. Not too much wood, not much heat, no sign of new make funk but a gentle sweetness with as good a finish as I have experienced in a 40% spirit. This is a worthy summer easy drinking sipper that I'm glad I picked up.

Local boyz done good!

TC-5.jpg

I like to buy local made stuff when possible. Was finishing the bottle as enjoyable as starting it? 

Went by the distillery years and years ago when I was on my honeymoon cruise. Recently found out that everything is distilled in St Croix, but the aging and bottling takes place around the corner from me at Florida Caribbean Distillers. I bought three samples of Cruzan, but this is my favorite of the 3.

Single Barrel Premium Aged. Wish it had an age statement other than 5-12 years or a means to track for a similar flavor profile. IMG_20190511_181719556.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a rum mood tonight, so I had several pours of one of my old standbys, Pusser’s blue label. I’m now finishing with a pour of a 19yo Caroni Single Barrel cask strength from the independent bottler The Exclusive Rums that just seems to get better every time I have a pour!

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Two rum cocktails, the first built on Privateer Navy (best spirit out of MA hands down), then Smith & Cross, the WT101 of rum scene. Now Appleton 21 and Joy SBS. Good times.

IMG_20190606_172552.jpg

• I like it 1

Two rum cocktails, the first built on Privateer Navy (best spirit out of MA hands down), then Smith & Cross, the WT101 of rum scene. Now Appleton 21 and Joy SBS. Good times.

IMG_20190606_172552.thumb.jpg.a7b75ee2b95a9f1232ffe3f7a5a45299.jpg

Jealous, googled Smith and Cross it doesn’t appear to be distributed in my area. Too bad.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Jealous, googled Smith and Cross it doesn’t appear to be distributed in my area. Too bad.

Winesearcher shows plenty of places that would ship it to you,, I love it myself, might not be worth shipping on it's own but a good choice to fill out an order to make shipping worthwhile. 

Winesearcher shows plenty of places that would ship it to you,, I love it myself, might not be worth shipping on it's own but a good choice to fill out an order to make shipping worthwhile. 

Thanks, I may look into this. Texas seems tough for shipments though.

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Thanks, I may look into this. Texas seems tough for shipments though.

Better yet it looks like a place in Houston has it, this may just be a WSpro result but might be worth calling this place:

Houston Wine Merchant

2646 South Shepherd Drive,
Houston,
TX 77098

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Smith and Cross is around in Houston; I've bought it before and know I've seen at a store recently just can't recall where.  Have you tried Stolen Rum is the 375ml bottle?  6 year Hampden for $18 and some of the Total Wine have is stock.  But once it's gone, there is no more of it.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, wadewood said:

Smith and Cross is around in Houston; I've bought it before and know I've seen at a store recently just can't recall where.  Have you tried Stolen Rum is the 375ml bottle?  6 year Hampden for $18 and some of the Total Wine have is stock.  But once it's gone, there is no more of it.

I love the Stolen as well, a store in my area was selling it for $12.99 and I've amassed a small army of bottles at this point, if I stop in and nothing else catches my eye I grab one. 

• I like it 2

I love the Stolen as well, a store in my area was selling it for $12.99 and I've amassed a small army of bottles at this point, if I stop in and nothing else catches my eye I grab one. 

I have several bottles, but I’d also be amassing a small army of bottles at that price. It’s generally around $19-$20 for the 375ml in my area.
  • I like it 1

Thank you for this. I’ll report back if I find either.

Better yet it looks like a place in Houston has it, this may just be a WSpro result but might be worth calling this place:

Houston Wine Merchant

2646 South Shepherd Drive,

Houston,

TX 77098

Thank you I love this. This is what this site is supposed to be about. I’ll stop by tomorrow and if it’s available will report back. I know this store very well, great wine selection.

• I like it 1