What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Dave, It sounds like you had a very fun and interesting morning!

Except for the going back to the office part.

John Glaser is pouring the recent Compass Box releases on Friday (although in a less personal seminar setting), so it should be a neat follow up to today’s session. 

• I like it 1

Did these two side by side, a sample of Havana Club, Maestros Triple Barreled and a recent pickup of a Cadenhead’s bottling of 15 Guyanese rum, non chip filtered, absolutely nothing added.

I’m probably not having the best palate days. The Cadenhead’s bottling is almost nothing like anything I’ve ever had in the rum world really interesting. The Havana is also unique a very strong creme brûlée on the nose, very nice on the palate, better finish on the Cadenhead’s. Can’t wait to get back to this Cadenhead’s.

IMG_8213.jpg

• I like it 1

On 10/2/2019 at 5:38 PM, Marekv8 said:

Interesting and educational morning

So what was interesting and what did you learn?

On 10/6/2019 at 4:16 PM, HoustonNit said:

The Cadenhead’s bottling is almost nothing like anything I’ve ever had in the rum world really interesting. The Havana is also unique a very strong creme brûlée on the nose, very nice on the palate, better finish on the Cadenhead’s. Can’t wait to get back to this Cadenhead’s.

There's a whole Demerara universe ahead of you.

Green Label is their bottom of the line Demerara. It's where they blend the barrels that don't make the cask strength cut.

54 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Green Label is their bottom of the line Demerara. It's where they blend the barrels that don't make the cask strength cut.

Tot, got any info on what may be coming from KL anytime soon?

46 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Tot, got any info on what may be coming from KL anytime soon?

I just watch the Spirits Journal like everyone else.

There haven't been any announcements lately. Fall time is when they do their Scottish malts. 

Frankly I'm grateful this year that nothing on the malt list is tempting for my tastes (at least, at the prices offered). I need a buying break!

IIRC, rums tend to sneak into release Novemberish? But there aren't any rules.

Yeah terrible timing as they sold out of all there single barrels except for one £200 bottle that was outside my price range.

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah terrible timing as they sold out of all there single barrels except for one £200 bottle that was outside my price range.

Unfortunately that one is delicious...

Unfortunately that one is delicious...

Oh I can imagine just £200 for rum is a hard pill to swallow.

How’s the El Dorado 15, Guyanese under $50 here but only 80 proof.

Just now, HoustonNit said:

Oh I can imagine just £200 for rum is a hard pill to swallow.

How’s the El Dorado 15, Guyanese under $50 here but only 80 proof.

I agree that is not a comfortable price and I wasn't happy about it.

El Dorado is full of sugar and a waste of time. Others will disagree.

The closest thing to a good Demerara in the US apart from KL releases is Pusser's Gunpowder Proof.

• I like it 1

I agree that is not a comfortable price and I wasn't happy about it.

El Dorado is full of sugar and a waste of time. Others will disagree.

The closest thing to a good Demerara in the US apart from KL releases is Pusser's Gunpowder Proof.

That stinks I thought Guyanese bottlings here restrictive on additives.

Maybe I’ll give the Pusser’s a go, also saw a 15 yr bottling from them and I also saw this but know nothing about it.

IMG_8241.jpg

5 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

That stinks I thought Guyanese bottlings here restrictive on additives.

Maybe I’ll give the Pusser’s a go, also saw a 15 yr bottling from them and I also saw this but know nothing about it.

The 15yr Pusser's doesn't taste much better than the regular issue, and it's much lower proof than the Gunpowder Proof. Pusser's is a case where the added proof leads to more complexity and better flavor density. So the cheaper, higher proof one is better IMO. But you ARE getting older rum from different stocks with the 15yr, so get it if you want to experiment with the difference. You'll likely only buy one, though.

The Zafra. I can't remember why I don't buy it - but I DO remember not to buy it.

The 15yr Pusser's doesn't taste much better than the regular issue, and it's much lower proof than the Gunpowder Proof. Pusser's is a case where the added proof leads to more complexity and better flavor density. So the cheaper, higher proof one is better IMO. But you ARE getting older rum from different stocks with the 15yr, so get it if you want to experiment with the difference. You'll likely only buy one, though.

The Zafra. I can't remember why I don't buy it - but I DO remember not to buy it.

Fair enough on the Zafra and good advice on the Pusser’s.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Fair enough on the Zafra and good advice on the Pusser’s.

We are long overdue for a drink. I'll message you when I'm headed next for Houston (not yet known, but probably this winter)

• I like it 1

We are long overdue for a drink. I'll message you when I'm headed next for Houston (not yet known, but probably this winter)

Double like! Definitely in.

I found a way to get through an interesting barrel pick of Rhum Agricole yet a bit too young.

IMG_8252.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

• I like it 2

A wee Fiji while baking my daughter’s birthday cake. 

1FD2F81A-F2E0-4B7A-954A-AF242B05D1CF.thumb.jpeg.538ee0560dd3572bf7a24af5593738eb.jpeg

I think I have a bottle of that, but I still haven’t opened it. How is it?

21 hours ago, jshleffar said:

Hamilton 8 year st lucia @ 62.1   the nose...

Cracked open a bottle yesterday. I find myself looking for aged agricole less often though, as I am smitten by the whites.

20 hours ago, Kane said:

It's apples vs oranges vs potatoes, but wanted some variety today.

IMG_20191012_224307.jpg

I really love that Port Cask; it's just sublime. Criterion? Favorite Foursquare bottling ever.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:29 PM, Nomad said:

I really love that Port Cask; it's just sublime. Criterion? Favorite Foursquare bottling ever.

I have to agree with the Port, which was a huge surprise for me. It's 40%, it's the last color added Foursquare if I remember correctly. My expectations were decidedly low... And here I'm blown away by the texture and flavor.

OFTD was the low point of the night. In the category I prefer Smith & Cross by a wide margin. This bottle may finally "inspire" me to make tiki cocktails at home.

• I like it 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, Kane said:

It's apples vs oranges vs potatoes, but wanted some variety today.

Did an SBS tonight with the Foursquare 2004 and the Port Cask.  Both are wonderful, but the 2004 is truly over the top. 

• I like it 1