What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

My traditional Panama-Pacific 9 is no longer on the menu— so I’ve opted for a Denizen 8yo for starters. 

6CC7F09D-77D2-447C-B17C-D55068D201E1.thumb.jpeg.6063b554cf652b4383f778c8e2aee22d.jpeg

23 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Wondering if anyone has any info on this Rum, E. Leon Jimenes. “The Mail Man” Karl Malone is going to be at a local LS in Lake Charles on the 21st signing bottles. Just wondering if it’s good rum. 

A76F8832-824E-4C38-B3A9-A18F9938499D.thumb.jpeg.dc1672bf4973031e6b2ab9182775b0c6.jpeg37AC9550-A0C6-47EB-993F-BFC3F2DA4D44.thumb.jpeg.15cc3fb7e754a51792b46fce0ae1dc0a.jpeg 

Everything stated about this rum should be a warning call— but I really dig it.  I have a travel pour of it in the room for later. At the least you should give it a try. 

CAB5AC21-6B74-4287-8F54-8AC8184A17FD.thumb.jpeg.aca1f1a3e1b6ab8c10bd7b276b06c39c.jpeg

35 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Wondering if anyone has any info on this Rum, E. Leon Jimenes. “The Mail Man” Karl Malone is going to be at a local LS in Lake Charles on the 21st signing bottles. Just wondering if it’s good rum. 

...Bunch of random Spanish-sounding names and the ol cliche "anniversario" and a sports personality repping it. No real rum-based info at all on the package.

...I'm gonna say zero chance, unless I'm allowed to use negative numbers.

It needed a "Gran Reserva."  or an "Edicion Limitada" to be REALLY good.

Edit: HA! And MarekV8 posts at the same time! Well, he's got one in the glass. I'm glad he's digging it. I still wouldn't buy that bottle for 10 bucks. Chances of no added sugar are about zero - but that's the "Spanish Style..." ???

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 1

I’ve been going through my bottle of Privateer Navy Yard P145 (Gordon’s pick) the past few nights and am very impressed.  The nose is incredible, and the taste draws all of the moisture out of the sides of your tongue like CS bourbons. Great dry, smoky finish that really gives me the mental image of barrel char.  The bottle has been open for 1.5 years and really is excellent. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, Marekv8 said:

Cheap and well-proofed, but it seems to have picked up a bit of sweetness along the way. Bottle shattered shortly after this photo, but I was able to save about half. 

453C179D-B736-49C5-85F8-6671CDFC8171.thumb.jpeg.fd2897de33c42b7d8001a7bfb88bdcf5.jpeg

I really like the Grander store picks. In the past year, I‘ve purchased 4 so far from northern Kentucky, plus a standard 12 year (lower proof). Interestingly, of all my travels, packing whiskey and rum in bubble wrap for my return trips, I’ve only had 1 bottle break in transit and it was a bottle of Grander.

• I like it 1

Another one of these Grander rums— this one NAS and finished in ex-Rye barrels. The spice does a grand job balancing the sweetness and the 50% ABV is a plus. 

02280A90-E08A-49D9-9221-A5E2ABDE6109.thumb.jpeg.e479e6d0ee9f12518d92e39d13595fb0.jpeg

I’ve seen this at my local may have even been a store pick. Although I may be confusing another barrel pick from them with the rye barreling.

Looks like it’s Grander rum time. Picked up one of these store picks around 105 proof. I almost don’t want to spread the virtues of this as it’s well priced and hits all the key check marks. It’s barrel proof, ex bourbon, age stated, SB, no filtration or additives.

No pics but I do have a pic of the prime rib roast I’m cooking while sipping this.

IMG_8579.jpg
  • I like it 1

Something different today. I bought this bottle for an insane $80-something in Puerto Rico back in 2013 I think? I knew jack about rum back then, but coming from Zacapa and Diplomatico I was really impressed with the not-so-sweet Bacardi 8 and above. And so made the purchase.

Yeah, it's not very good in 2020 :)

IMG_20191231_225911.jpg

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...

A coworker found this for me. I heard it was at TW but couldn’t find it. Apparently for those with TW in your area try the aisle where they keep the 375 and 200 ML bottles, pint and half pint sizes for you old timers.

The Stolen holds up quite well and with the proof I prefer it over the named Hampden bottling. If you like rum and see the Stolen pick it up! Just make sure it’s the 6yr ovenproof and not the spiced or whatever.

IMG_8842.jpg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

A coworker found this for me. I heard it was at TW but couldn’t find it. Apparently for those with TW in your area try the aisle where they keep the 375 and 200 ML bottles, pint and half pint sizes for you old timers.

The Stolen holds up quite well and with the proof I prefer it over the named Hampden bottling. If you like rum and see the Stolen pick it up! Just make sure it’s the 6yr ovenproof and not the spiced or whatever.

IMG_8842.jpg

I've been looking for that for two years now. I even ran into a Stolen rep, asked about it, and got back a "never heard of it."

• I like it 1

I've been looking for that for two years now. I even ran into a Stolen rep, asked about it, and got back a "never heard of it."

Well if you have TW in your area give it a go can even check there site, just be sure to check the aisle with the smaller bottles.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:59 PM, HoustonNit said:

IMG_8842.jpg

It's really good, though I do prefer the Hampden, which also has an overproof bottling.

Switched from bourbon to. 1703 mt gay this afternoon. Ready to head to the islands I don’t care that it is 30 degrees outside. 

B30B863C-550E-4686-979C-6625E4FDA3AA.jpeg

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Switched from bourbon to. 1703 mt gay this afternoon. Ready to head to the islands I don’t care that it is 30 degrees outside. 

B30B863C-550E-4686-979C-6625E4FDA3AA.jpeg

Tasting notes? I’ve never seen this out my way.

2 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Tasting notes? I’ve never seen this out my way.

Caramel corn, buttered toffee, light body, quiet on the palate.

Smokinjoe translation: Nose like a raccoon with measles, palate like a New Mexican bat's armpit, and after the first sip you have Coronavirus.

• I like it 1

I did not recognize Karl in the photos. He’s from the little town of Summerfield, Louisiana. Went to La Tech University.  
he was also a Sheriff’’s deputy for Claiborne Parish for a time. a really nice guy. 

On 1/29/2020 at 8:49 PM, Kane said:

Specs-wise the worst Foursquare, but I enjoyed every drop.

IMG_20200129_204656.jpg

Specs be damned, from the perspective of pure enjoyment I like this one more than some of the more heralded Foursquare releases.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Caramel corn, buttered toffee, light body, quiet on the palate.

Smokinjoe translation: Nose like a raccoon with measles, palate like a New Mexican bat's armpit, and after the first sip you have Coronavirus.

Heehee! ?

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee! ?

In all honesty, why so much hate Joe? Just curious.

Regarding the Foursquare, I passed on it this week, just not a fan of port in the least.

On 2/1/2020 at 11:34 PM, PhantomLamb said:

In all honesty, why so much hate Joe? Just curious.

Not to fear, it is all (mostly) in jest! Basically a long running joke about descriptors for rum that is a tad bit on the "funky" side.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am drinking a crappy Bacardi Reserva Limitada over a FS Criterion just because I couldn't pull the cork off of the FS. That artificial cork is quite something. My prospects of enjoying that bottle ride on the temperature of the day and moisture levels of my palm. Geez...

53 minutes ago, Kane said:

I am drinking a crappy Bacardi Reserva Limitada over a FS Criterion just because I couldn't pull the cork off of the FS. That artificial cork is quite something. My prospects of enjoying that bottle ride on the temperature of the day and moisture levels of my palm. Geez...

Could you get a bottle opener corkscrew to fish it out?