What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

Could you get a bottle opener corkscrew to fish it out?
If his Criterion are like some of my FS bottle offerings, it's not an issue that it broke but that it is SUPER tight and can be difficult to remove.

I know more than a few of Theblacktot’s bottles that could use such a cork...  ?

• I like it 2

Edited by smokinjoe
It should be said twice, but...

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I know more than a few of Theblacktot’s bottles that could use such a cork...  ?

I appreciate your contributions to the Rum forum Joe, always make me laugh lol.  

• I like it 2

I know more than a few of Theblacktot’s bottles that could use such a cork...  [emoji38]

LOL! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
  • I like it 1

I have recently gotten into the rums from Bayou Distillery in Laccasine, LA. Being a Louisiana native, I really like their spice rum as it is much more vanilla forward than other spiced rums.  My wife picked up a bottle of the Madrid Gras XO for me and it my replace Mt.  Gay XO as my regular go to rum.

42FD4F5A-91EC-4067-BB45-351E4FD5F6B0.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hamilton WP Jamaican Black. Hate to say it but the funk on this was pretty overbearing. May have to revisit it again to get through that drink pleasantly.

44 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Hamilton WP Jamaican Black. Hate to say it but the funk on this was pretty overbearing. May have to revisit it again to get through that drink pleasantly.

You may want to try a sample of the Caroni before going to effort to procure a bottle. There’s a reason those four bottles are gathering dust at the LS (I bought the other two over a year ago).

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

You may want to try a sample of the Caroni before going to effort to procure a bottle. There’s a reason those four bottles are gathering dust at the LS (I bought the other two over a year ago).

Hmm, no idea where I would even get a sample though.

• 2 weeks later...

Drinking a Richland Rum private pick this evening...111pf and very tasty!  I think they are doing some great stuff and will only continue to get better. 

The Rhetoric of Rhum. Had to convert this guy to a cork stopper as the original wax-covered screw cap was crap…

IMG_4112.thumb.jpg.c4a4ee9424bfb49a5d97ae58a648684b.jpg

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This one's well put-together…

IMG_4117.thumb.jpg.4934b843f8a5581018aa7612b6db6ca7.jpg

Saw this for around $150ish.  Is it as light as MGXO?

16 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Saw this for around $150ish.  Is it as light as MGXO?

Define "light" for me-- do you mean devoid of dosage-enhanced mouthfeel? This guy has a great, gritty sense of character for 43% ABV.

Have you tried any of the recent XO Cask Strength releases?

IMG_4129.thumb.jpg.290ba4f88a165dc0c847998b3732d2f8.jpg

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

Define "light" for me-- do you mean devoid of dosage-enhanced mouthfeel? This guy has a great, gritty sense of character for 43% ABV.

Have you tried any of the recent XO Cask Strength releases?

IMG_4129.thumb.jpg.290ba4f88a165dc0c847998b3732d2f8.jpg

Light as in there isn't much depth of flavor.  I have been told Bajan rums get lighter as they age in flavor and more subtle.  

I didn't know they had Cask Strength?  At least it's not available around here.  That sounds wonderful to me.

56 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Light as in there isn't much depth of flavor.  I have been told Bajan rums get lighter as they age in flavor and more subtle.  

I didn't know they had Cask Strength?  At least it's not available around here.  That sounds wonderful to me.

Other people's opinions about sprits are their own… which is why I prefer to taste everything myself. And yes, there have been a couple of cask strength releases-- one finished in peated SMSW casks (I assume Port Charlotte or Octomore given the Rémy-Cointreau connection).

IMG_4137.thumb.jpg.534ca2d03eac5b11c90376176fc36be4.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

The ultimate shelf hog… but an all-time classic…

IMG_4198.thumb.jpg.a8db7ed8cefbddd883d94c650d2a1701.jpg

I don’t have one but I know I have seen one at a bar somewhere in town (maybe SOS? I will have to wait until bars reopen to verify!). I wouldn’t mind having one (despite my general dislike of Pussers because I don’t think any brand should be able to lay claim, or enforce said bogus claim, to a specific cocktail. I feel the same way about Gosling) because I would definitely put it on display. As far as I know the contents are just the standard rum, right?

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I don’t have one but I know I have seen one at a bar somewhere in town (maybe SOS? I will have to wait until bars reopen to verify!). I wouldn’t mind having one (despite my general dislike of Pussers because I don’t think any brand should be able to lay claim, or enforce said bogus claim, to a specific cocktail. I feel the same way about Gosling) because I would definitely put it on display. As far as I know the contents are just the standard rum, right?

Yes, same basic stuff as the current Gunpowder Proof expression-- just using the UK proofing system.

19 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes, same basic stuff as the current Gunpowder Proof expression-- just using the UK proofing system.

Very cool decanter!

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Very cool decanter!

Not quite as impressive as the famed Jacquin’s 4-chamber bottle-- but certainly a must have classic…

IMG_4192.thumb.jpg.7991637f437881a63e94c69d214dadda.jpg

• I like it 1

Or one of my personal favorites, the “Tequila Romance” bottle from Milagro.

D6637705-21C8-4505-A7AC-4D0CC199175C.jpeg.ec4b266b587d07977d18ec09f2e3e22a.jpeg

250ml of Anejo in the three interconnected “bubbles” surrounded by 750ml of Reposado, each with their own separate opening.

• I like it 3

28 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Or one of my personal favorites, the “Tequila Romance” bottle from Milagro.

D6637705-21C8-4505-A7AC-4D0CC199175C.jpeg.ec4b266b587d07977d18ec09f2e3e22a.jpeg

250ml of Anejo in the three interconnected “bubbles” surrounded by 750ml of Reposado, each with their own separate opening.

Damn-- put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hamilton St. Lucia Pot Still 9 yr.  Holy heck, what a mess.  Made the mistake of drinking it neat and not letting it breath, absolutely wretched for try #1. 

Going to give it another go tonight with water on hand and after letting it air out over 10 minutes or so.  Nose was sublime though.

Edited by PhantomLamb

33 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Hamilton St. Lucia Pot Still 9 yr.  Holy heck, what a mess.  Made the mistake of drinking it neat and not letting it breath, absolutely wretched for try #1. 

Going to give it another go tonight with water on hand and after letting it air out over 10 minutes or so.  Nose was sublime though.

I think th....Nevermind...  ???