What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

Oronoco rum with lime and a few cubes.  It was from the wife for Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is Foursquare-- but at $7.99 it's the perfect “drinking while mowing the yard" rum.

IMG_6402.thumb.jpg.15d3d49c8df74a3d6d2cf4a3154d7a7d.jpg

• I like it 2

On 7/17/2021 at 10:00 AM, Marekv8 said:

Not sure if this is Foursquare-- but at $7.99 it's the perfect “drinking while mowing the yard" rum.

Heck for $7.99 I’d buy a case, unless of course it’s Plantation in disguise 😂.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 10:00 AM, Marekv8 said:

The Trader Joe's two Indy locations are on the North side.  They can't sell spirits because there were already some liquor stores close by when the stores opened.  They couldn't get the license.  🙄

Sipping the Ron Medellin 19yr while enjoying the view of the Andes foothills at my in-laws. Drinks just like a bourbon just far too weak at 35%.

• I like it 1

On 5/16/2020 at 6:28 PM, Marekv8 said:

As expected, the vintage bottle took the win. The modern release, although with a lower ABV-- was hotter, thinner, and sweeter. Although the delivery on the vintage liquid is very slow and the flavors are subtle-- it's far more complex and satisfying.

IMG_4529.thumb.jpg.2e890d48ecef765d4bd747d205e19cd8.jpg

Any idea on when the vintage bottle is from? I just ended up with the exact same lable in a 750.

4 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Any idea on when the vintage bottle is from? I just ended up with the exact same lable in a 750.

IMG_20210806_171223.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This Daiquiri a few days ago...

This stuff is massive! 1486 g/hLAA total volatile substances.

NYEdaq.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Nomad

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

NYEdaq.jpeg.jpg

Interesting. The New Yarmouth HM mark usually means about 500-700 parts ester from what I have read. But at 138 proof it is definitely going to be a massive rum in any daiquiri!

7 hours ago, Nomad said:

NYEdaq.jpeg.jpg

Nice!  I'm debating whether to get a 27yr New Yarmouth, pretty pricey tho.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Interesting. The New Yarmouth HM mark usually means about 500-700 parts ester from what I have read. But at 138 proof it is definitely going to be a massive rum in any daiquiri!

It is confusing, so I explain via the label.

That aside, if you have a lust for high ester style, there are not many spirits that are above this one. You will not be disappointed.

nye.jpeg

• I like it 1

A 16 yo Zaya doctored with enough 8yo Rhumb Runner Trinidad to bring the proof up to 102 from the stock 80. Sweet entry with a bitter finish— similar to some other marriages.

F3390B2E-A780-4675-A435-EDC437873C01.thumb.jpeg.34998eb7265c0c3b9135e70d05529a7d.jpeg

On 8/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, Nomad said:

It is confusing, so I explain via the label.

That aside, if you have a lust for high ester style, there are not many spirits that are above this one. You will not be disappointed.

nye.jpeg

Thanks! The total esters fit the mark but I suppose they are counting other fun congeners in that total! 

The highest one I can think of in my liquor library is the 14yo Long Pond TECA mark which is used for rums with an ester total of 1200-1300. This bottle is at 1285.4 gr/hlpa of esters at 124 proof with who knows how many additional congeners!

• I like it 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:34 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Thanks! The total esters fit the mark but I suppose they are counting other fun congeners in that total! 

The highest one I can think of in my liquor library is the 14yo Long Pond TECA mark which is used for rums with an ester total of 1200-1300. This bottle is at 1285.4 gr/hlpa of esters at 124 proof with who knows how many additional congeners!

It's certainly punches way higher than the 583 ester count. Other than DOK and some other Hampdens, not much else I own is in this realm...maybe some Worthy Parks or possible Savanna HERR, but from memory, no.

Edited by Nomad
more info

Breakfast of champions.  Hope you used it to watch down little chocolate donuts.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Breakfast of champions.  Hope you used it to watch down little chocolate donuts.

No, but he did set me up with a double Whistlepig 10 in a “to go” coffee cup with lid for boarding the flight. Good bartenders (and auto mechanics) are life’s true treasures.

• I like it 7

I figured 15 year rhum for under $50 is a good deal.  Kinda of disappointed.  Maybe it’s the low proof but no funk, no wood notes, odd finish.  Nice nose but won’t but again.  15 year Barbancourt.

0EA68BCF-806E-4487-A2FD-F093875BEC06.jpeg

I have found Barbancourt 15 to differ from bottle to bottle more than most others.

That said, it's pretty different, French oak I believe and cane juice is part of the component which varies by what's on hand.

10 hours ago, Nomad said:

I have found Barbancourt 15 to differ from bottle to bottle more than most others.

That said, it's pretty different, French oak I believe and cane juice is part of the component which varies by what's on hand.

Correct. I haven’t ventured into agrícoles yet but if you are comparing that to a molasses-based distillate, the differences are sure to be profound.

17 hours ago, Nomad said:

Assumed it was bourbon barrel. Either case the barrels seem reused.

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Assumed it was bourbon barrel. Either case the barrels seem reused.

I agree they're not first use barrels, but IDK what they previously held. Company was founded by a French family so I'd guess cognac.

FWIW they claim it's all cane juice but their has been a little pushback on that point. I think it taste like a mix.