What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

On 8/28/2021 at 3:10 PM, Nomad said:

I agree they're not first use barrels, but IDK what they previously held. Company was founded by a French family so I'd guess cognac.

FWIW they claim it's all cane juice but their has been a little pushback on that point. I think it taste like a mix.

So I took this bottle on a long weekend trip we did with a couple other couples.  I feel I was a big harsh, I actually really enjoyed it the second time around.  Ok it’s not rhum agricole or doesn’t taste like it anyway.  Also yes it’s not very oaky for 15 year rum and no funk but I still enjoyed it.  Lots of vanilla and brown sugar.  Very bourbon like.

• I like it 1

It is Haiti. As far as I am concerned absolutely nothing can be taken at face value. It isn't like the government is regulating it. After all, there is no effective government and hasn't been one for decades. Maybe a couple of centuries...

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was going to be overly woody due to the color— but it’s very well-balanced with a raw, unruly burnt sweetness without being cloying.

CF867369-4762-4ABE-9E34-DA46064A4CE3.thumb.jpeg.a1234cafbef784dfc21b6327a723c9fe.jpeg

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I thought this was going to be overly woody due to the color— but it’s very well-balanced with a raw, unruly burnt sweetness without being cloying.

CF867369-4762-4ABE-9E34-DA46064A4CE3.thumb.jpeg.a1234cafbef784dfc21b6327a723c9fe.jpeg

Wow looks port, I seriously don’t recall seeing anything that dark in rum, whiskey or brandy.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow looks port, I seriously don’t recall seeing anything that dark in rum, whiskey or brandy.

Agreed. Funny thing is, they had a 20 year Panama that was even darker— so I may need to reel that one in. Really an unusual and powerful rum— especially given the 50.5% ABV.

I was not sure about how to feel about the aged LROK when I first opened it a few months ago, I liked it, but it has progressively become a favorite. I got both of these the same day, but I didn't open the unaged until today and it has some different things going on for itself. Stellar bottles.

lrok hampden.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 5:58 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

It is Haiti. As far as I am concerned absolutely nothing can be taken at face value. It isn't like the government is regulating it. After all, there is no effective government and hasn't been one for decades. Maybe a couple of centuries...

I was thinking about this and I’ve always tended to trust rum/rhum from French speaking Caribbean countries as well as English speaking countries to be less likely altered and less deceptive than Spanish speaking countries.  However yeah Haiti may be an exception to that rule.  

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I was thinking about this and I’ve always tended to trust rum/rhum from French speaking Caribbean countries as well as English speaking countries to be less likely altered and less deceptive than Spanish speaking countries.  However yeah Haiti may be an exception to that rule.  

I've felt the same.  However, for Spanish-speaking countries it seems Cuba (a la Havana Club) and Panama (Panama Pacific or a reputable bottler) will get you something that is genuine.  

Last night I had St Lucia heavy pot still with all the chemically-goodness followed by the simple sweetness of some Havana Club that I picked up and the B2B was amazing.  It was almost like the HC reset my palate.  

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll pick this Guyana rum up in Houston earlier this week and just opened it. Pretty damn good. 
4E42BF3F-2D13-4D0D-AAC9-CB77E69E4FED.thumb.jpeg.4552251484d69539b88958d6715a2bea.jpeg

• I like it 2

It had a couple of brothers and sisters (from different parts of the world) that I should’ve bought with it. I may go back and pick them up. B9C5006C-30A6-4E71-AF2F-75A3D7C1604A.thumb.jpeg.7555fc382e56c33851e5c683f636a103.jpegE2754740-4B7F-4A46-BDEC-56BFEAF61DD5.thumb.jpeg.5a28358065ce475b4b2ba8ca0a3d0302.jpeg

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

It had a couple of brothers and sisters (from different parts of the world) that I should’ve bought with it. I may go back and pick them up. B9C5006C-30A6-4E71-AF2F-75A3D7C1604A.thumb.jpeg.7555fc382e56c33851e5c683f636a103.jpegE2754740-4B7F-4A46-BDEC-56BFEAF61DD5.thumb.jpeg.5a28358065ce475b4b2ba8ca0a3d0302.jpeg

Now that is a bottler I’ve never heard of, I like the bottle, it’s different.

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Now that is a bottler I’ve never heard of, I like the bottle, it’s different.

Local bourbon group did the bottling.

Darn LCWoody I pass these every time I go to the LS by my kids school.  I might have to dish out for the Guyana now. 

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I opened these 2 bottles today- 

Barrell Seagrass, which I know is not a rum, but the rum cask influence is prevalent and well integrated. Water is a must to open this up.

MGXO Triple Cask blend. It's been a minute since a had MGXO because it became too oaky for me, and this is still a touch too much oak, but it's really good. Sweeter with a better balance.

The new master blender knows her stuff.

edit- IDK why the pics are not loading.

MGXO3

seagrass

Edited by Nomad
  • I like it 1

I'm out of my league with this one, if there's anyone in the Rochester, NY area who would like this, please DM me.

Hamilton Saint Lucia Pot Still 9 Year Cask Strength

Hamilton.jpg

8 hours ago, MikeF said:

I'm out of my league with this one, if there's anyone in the Rochester, NY area who would like this, please DM me.

Hamilton.jpg

I have this same bottle and it's exquisite.  What's the asking price?

14 hours ago, MikeF said:

Hamilton.jpg

Damn sounds interesting what’s wrong with it?  I’m from Rochester but live in Houston.  Ha I might be home for Christmas.  

• I like it 1

One good one down, one great one up! With some family after dinner, we polished off the very good Worthy Park Madeira. After which I opened the Florida Rum Society Worthy Park Gemini bottle and man is it fabulous! It's probably my favorite WP to date and it was so good one family member (primarily a bourbon drinker who only drinks rum when he comes here) asked me to get a bottle for him. If you have any love for mid-ester Jamaican rums, you should grab a bottle. I just ordered 2 more for myself. Spectacular!

gemini2.jpg

• I like it 3

On 11/22/2021 at 1:26 PM, PhantomLamb said:

I paid $63 for it, but I'd let anyone have it for free if they can pick it up in Rochester.  There is a store here that still has 15 bottles, which I think is surprising since I've read it's hard to find.

On 11/22/2021 at 12:26 PM, PhantomLamb said:

6 hours ago, MikeF said:

I paid $63 for it, but I'd let anyone have it for free if they can pick it up in Rochester.  There is a store here that still has 15 bottles, which I think is surprising since I've read it's hard to find.

I know things happen, and this is just one person helping another out. But,   for future reference, and to one and all, if something like this just so happens to crop up again, please handle it by PM. Buying, selling and trading isn’t allowed here on SB. Not trying to be a curmudge, just doing my job. And again I’ll emphasize please. 

Biba! Joe

15 hours ago, MikeF said:

Mike, 

Will PM you.

• I like it 1

Marekv or anyone have any information on Zanj rums? Looks like it’s distilled at a different distillery than Barbancourt (Berling S.A vs. Barbancourt).  Looks the bothers split off at one point.  Current CEO is named Barbancourt.  Barbancourt appear to be like the Beam family in Kentucky.  

it’s quite dark.  First impressions I like it, just wondering if it possibly had any coloring or sugar added?  Not a big risk at under $30.  Also from a store that usually sources good products, NASA liquor in Houston.

0A598BDE-0C75-4B92-9999-84C5FD3236AF.jpeg

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 2

Finally got done with quarantine (thanks, unvaccinated person at thanksgiving), and went to something unusual for me.  I've had a bottle of Stolen Overproof Rum, a 6 year old Jamaican rum.  Surprised at the amount of funk, but very tasty neat without too much fire, good finish and honestly just about the right amount of funk for me.  Oh look, my glass is empty, time for number two! 

• I like it 2