What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

8 hours ago, Kane said:

Haha, the Oban 14 comparison is so accurate it's scary.

I'm really looking forward to opening that Barell Rum #1 for a comparison, probably this weekend. S&C is tasty but definitely rough around the edges, and I'm very curious to try something purportedly better put together.

I never picked up batch 1 regrettably but I did grab the Tale of Two Islands, and that one is honestly probably equally rough around the edges as S&C just in a different way.

A single blend of 50% pot still cane juice distillate and 50% column still molasses distillate… and no islands involved.

IMG_9232.thumb.jpg.7edf4a7d23b8767cb218cb07c8d6daf2.jpg

Started this morning with a pour of this delightful Rum. Subtle, balanced and completely delicious this is in the same league as St James 15yr and J. Bally 1999. 

Duchess4.jpg

• I like it 2

If you can't be with the rum you love, love the rum you're with…

IMG_9246.thumb.jpg.f8d0c96e5716362e6c15e73595e58bda.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

If you can't be with the rum you love, love the rum you're with…

IMG_9246.thumb.jpg.f8d0c96e5716362e6c15e73595e58bda.jpg

Does Diplomatico have a Still named Steven? Maybe two of them a couple of Steven Stills?

• I like it 1

This bottle seems to be popping up everywhere-- and given that it's sporting a Preiss Imports logo on the back label, it's been around for a while.

IMG_9294.thumb.jpg.fa14545a1dba3e6921c4c7040d579cff.jpg

A sweaty humid tropical day here at Paradise Palms Resort on the Florida Gulf Coast preparing for the possibility of our first tropical storm of the season. Reached way back into the rum closet and found this delightful pour that perfectly suits the moment.

Grassy, earthy light and drinkable with just enough wood to hold your interest. It's hard to understand why lovely Agricole rums like this aren't more popular in the USA. Hard to find any fault with this spirit on this afternoon.

Dillon1.jpg

So oaky and unusual-- the teardrop is always a pleasure…

IMG_9447.thumb.jpg.9b6d0e5ccbd53faae62375b7bf7898eb.jpg

• I like it 2

The color and viscosity of this juice are killing me-- the balance of this bottle has dramatically improved since the initial opening.

IMG_9448.thumb.jpg.16b0b11a3ab750d73a43b8e9cb03ba71.jpg

• I like it 2

Barrell Rum A Tale of Two Islands
Jamaican pot still 8yo 66.4% Bottle #60
warm, sherry, heady, creamy, a bit of cinnamon, the Jamaican flavor is there on inhalation, especially by mouth; Moreso than on the tongue.
With water, not much different, maybe a bit sweeter. A bit odd, the Islay cask is there, but in the background not drawing much attention. Solid, yet not spectacular.

barrell1.jpg

barrell2.jpg

barrell3.jpg

• I like it 1

Tropical Storm Alberto rained out our holiday weekend plans. The good news is I finally found a use for those insipid little paper umbrellas that seem to sprout from every sort of Rum Cocktail. They work pretty well for keeping the rain from diluting a neat pour when drinking by the pool during the storm.

UMBRELLA 2.jpg

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, sailor22 said:

Tropical Storm Alberto rained out our holiday weekend plans. The good news is I finally found a use for those insipid little paper umbrellas that seem to sprout from every sort of Rum Cocktail. They work pretty well for keeping the rain from diluting a neat pour when drinking by the pool during the storm.

UMBRELLA 2.jpg

Ya know Steve, somebody probably saw you place that umbrella on the side of your glass and carefully position a piece of Scotch tape to hold it there.  All the while, working to get the right shot and taking a picture while standing in a pouring rain...

Abner!  I told that guy was odd!!!  :D

655464D8-9433-47B3-B097-7E9FF8D8FD0F.jpeg

• I like it 1

Well, I had to use scotch tape because I was temporally out of Black Duct Tape (shrug).  ????

There was indeed an audience but we were all in the pool and enjoying our drinks when I did the photo, in fact they were giving me directions for how they thought I should do it. "Hey put it in the puddle so you can see the ripples from the drops..."  The rum in the shot turned out to be horrid (Newfoundland Screech Rum) and since no one wanted to drink it was eventually poured out in favor of something else. 

Pool time during a warm tropical rain storm is quality time - even if photos happen ????

Spent this week converting an old coat closet, which doesn't see much use here in Florida, into a Rum Closet to handle some of the recent overflow. Then this morning a pour of a dusty that had been shoved to the back of the larger closet and turned up when I was moving bottles.
The Cadenhead Demerara is very aromatic with tobacco and dark fruit leading the way. Palate shows a stout bitterness and old wood dryness against a subtle sweetness while the finish is all drying wood and molasses. I don't smoke but this is what I would consider a liquid cigar.

Closet2.jpg

Cadenhead Demerara1.jpg

• I like it 3

started with revelation, moving shortly to barrell rum 2. Revelation may not be super funky but its one of my very favorite spirits.

A balanced Agricole is a fine pairing with croissant and coffee this morning.  This special edition fits the mission but IMHO isn't worth the extra cost over some of Bally's other offerings.

Bally-4.jpg

It's been a rugged, joy-free week until now. I'm thinking there's some seriously old juice (beyond the stated 25 years) in the mix here-- really nicely done.

I was supposed to be at the Miami Rum Renaissance Festival this weekend, but things didn't work out. Maybe next year. If anyone wants my VIP tickets for both days, please let me know.

IMG_9537.thumb.jpg.47553c40e47f1c7bf6df159b7267235d.jpg

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It's been a rugged, joy-free week until now. I'm thinking there's some seriously old juice (beyond the stated 25 years) in the mix here-- really nicely done.

I was supposed to be at the Miami Rum Renaissance Festival this weekend, but things didn't work out. Maybe next year. If anyone wants my VIP tickets for both days, please let me know.

That looks like a nice one to try.

I still haven't opened the bottle that I bought about six months ago. I'm glad to see that this is as good as I had hoped. I need to open my bottle and decide whether or not I want to buy another bottle while my local shop still has a few more available.

45 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I still haven't opened the bottle that I bought about six months ago. I'm glad to see that this is as good as I had hoped. I need to open my bottle and decide whether or not I want to buy another bottle while my local shop still has a few more available.

This is SO different from the 21yo that, if nothing else, it is worth picking up one of each to try SBS.

• I like it 1

JOY is delicious. When I open a bottle it usually doesn't survive more than a week or so.

It's only shortcoming is that it may have been bottled at just a little too low a proof, would sure love to taste it with a little less water added.

Can only imagine how deep and complex a barrel proof bottling would be.

Edited by sailor22
  • I like it 2

Somewhat thin-bodied-- dry with a soft floral entry that transforms into a zesty, spicy, casky ride. Really unusual.

IMG_9549.thumb.jpg.a754f3b736331bc8cf517e6cd6c34fe3.jpg

In an attempt to drink through some rum bottles I've been making Cuban sidecars recently (equal parts Seales 10, Cointreau, and lime juice).  Pretty tasty, but I need to cut down on the lime juice (too tart).