What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

In an attempt to drink through some rum bottles I've been making Cuban sidecars recently (equal parts Seales 10, Cointreau, and lime juice).  Pretty tasty, but I need to cut down on the lime juice (too tart).

I think one of those will be in my near future...  and I just bought limes this morning.  Good timing.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:51 PM, Marekv8 said:

It's been a rugged, joy-free week until now. I'm thinking there's some seriously old juice (beyond the stated 25 years) in the mix here-- really nicely done.

I was supposed to be at the Miami Rum Renaissance Festival this weekend, but things didn't work out. Maybe next year. If anyone wants my VIP tickets for both days, please let me know.

My recollection is that this was reported to have 25-35 yo rum in the blend but that it was labeled as a minimum of 25yo rather than the BS must rums put on the label about the "Solera" method. When I had a chance to speak to Joy Spence at Tales last year she confirmed that was the case.

Sucks to have to miss the Miami Rum Renaissance. If I had know in time I might have considered taking you up on the tickets!

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

My recollection is that this was reported to have 25-35 yo rum in the blend but that it was labeled as a minimum of 25yo rather than the BS must rums put on the label about the "Solera" method. When I had a chance to speak to Joy Spence at Tales last year she confirmed that was the case.

Sucks to have to miss the Miami Rum Renaissance. If I had know in time I might have considered taking you up on the tickets!

Sounds right on the JOY-- it's got the cool secondary cask characteristic also evident in the Clément "teardrop" XO.

Sorry about the rum festival tickets-- it was a last minute swap. I've ended up at the Bar Convent Brooklyn for tomorrow morning instead. Should be interesting. Are you going to TOTC this year?

Sucks to have to miss the Miami Rum Renaissance. 

From accounts of friends who were present you didn't miss much.

We went two years ago and I promised myself never to waste the time again. We were in and out in less than a couple of hours and spent the rest of the weekend enjoying South Beach. This year it had even fewer exhibitors. 

I'm trying to find the time and $ to target the London Rum fest  or the Berlin rum fest as both have been highly recommended.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:54 AM, Marekv8 said:

Hopefully there are more of these Clairins to come…

IMG_9098.thumb.jpg.005105faae39a982c4271bd754b16a0c.jpg

In talking to a guy from Velier yesterday at Bar Convent Brooklyn, he confirmed that a fourth Clairin expression is due out Stateside in September. He actually had a pair of 70cl bottles for sampling at an event last night (unfortunately I had a conflict). He claimed it is the funkiest one yet.

• I like it 1

For you folks with access to Binny's-- I'd recommend grabbing this while it exists. 

IMG_9607.thumb.jpg.239f24d9eb4693586eebcd5836b467cc.jpg

• I like it 2

On 6/11/2018 at 5:54 PM, Marekv8 said:

Sorry about the rum festival tickets-- it was a last minute swap. I've ended up at the Bar Convent Brooklyn for tomorrow morning instead. Should be interesting. Are you going to TOTC this year?

Not planning on TOTC this year. Retirement is forcing me to consider at least some financial constraints. Barbados pretty much got any budget I might have had for TOTC!

20 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Not planning on TOTC this year. Retirement is forcing me to consider at least some financial constraints. Barbados pretty much got any budget I might have had for TOTC!

Sorry to hear that-- I have a feeling attendance will be down significantly this year. I'll be at over at Latitude 29 if you change your mind.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, sailor22 said:

From accounts of friends who were present you didn't miss much.

We went two years ago and I promised myself never to waste the time again. We were in and out in less than a couple of hours and spent the rest of the weekend enjoying South Beach. This year it had even fewer exhibitors. 

I'm trying to find the time and $ to target the London Rum fest  or the Berlin rum fest as both have been highly recommended.

I got the same feeling, which was why it wasn't difficult to bail on the event. My only real desire to go was in support of our local distillery (Cane Land) who actually made a good showing with their agricole. The Bar Convent Brooklyn show, albeit small-- gave me the chance to meet rum folks on a more interesting level.

• 2 weeks later...

Ol' Red showed up at the shop during my short business trip today and I've got to say it's well worth the long wait and outlay. I've never seen a waxed-dipped metal screw cap before-- but it suits the unusual nature of this juice. The wood makes such a delicious and impressive statement-- and after many, many minutes the finish is still finishing. Wonderful.

IMG_9792.thumb.jpg.4fb9da88bd5f681af78bbe3cc469d0f8.jpg

• I like it 3

Barbancourt 15, and this is why metal screw caps suck. This one didn't like the summer weather even though my apartment is 24x7 ACed, and it was completely loose. JDSB BP was the only fit from my spare cork colection.

IMG_20180629_234707.jpg

Ironic that I attended Whiskey Live here in Brisbane (Australia) last Friday night, and came away with a bottle of Ratu Signature Rim Liqueur from Fiji.  Was absolutely fantastic flavor of orange and chocolate!

On 7/3/2018 at 6:32 PM, Marekv8 said:

Getting underway with a bit of BB&R…

IMG_9848.thumb.jpg.d01fe69104c73cd536ae3259caeb94d4.jpg

Are you a fan of these Berrys' releases? A store nearby has an 11 year St Lucia and a 12 year Guatemalan, but the price on these is $120 and $150 respectively. I'm a bit leery of paying $120 for 11 year proofed down St Lucia, especially when I have a bottle of the 10 year Hamilton cask strength that I got for $60-ish from Binny's. Would really like to try both but the price is keeping me away.

Edited by EarthQuake

7 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Are you a fan of these Berrys' releases? A store nearby has an 11 year St Lucia and a 12 year Guatemalan, but the price on these is $120 and $150 respectively. I'm a bit leery of paying $120 for 11 year proofed down St Lucia, especially when I have a bottle of the 10 year Hamilton cask strength that I got for $60-ish from Binny's. Would really like to try both but the price is keeping me away.

Yes, quite a bit— although they've been rather tough to find. From memory, the bottles I've purchased have been in the $65.00 to $75.00 range-- so the price tags you're describing are basically double the going rate.

• I like it 1

I can ack that I've never seen a sub $100 Berry's rum here either, and I've been looking hard for that St Lucia.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I can ack that I've never seen a sub $100 Berry's rum here either, and I've been looking hard for that St Lucia.

Total Wine had a BBR St. Lucia last yearish for $70 but it seems to be all gone at this point, I was never tempted by it for the same reason you noted, the CS Hamilton bottles just seemed to be a better deal. 

• I like it 1

The St. Lucia 11 actually seems to be the most common-- showing up in random places like a fish out of water. I'll let you know if I run across one. Although the higher proof of the Hamilton is certainly a plus, I'm not sure it makes it a clear winner over the better-balanced BB&R (of course this is coming from a Samaroli fan, so take it with a grain of salt).

• I like it 2

I brought this bottle over to the LS earlier and cracked it open for the owner to try; now it's worked its way open again. Super nice juice as expected. It's been so long since I've sampled the 2004, I'll need to have a comparative taste tomorrow.

IMG_9860.thumb.jpg.05196ffb5183617bcd8b06bac29d0523.jpg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I brought this bottle over to the LS earlier and cracked it open for the owner to try; now it's worked its way open again. Super nice juice as expected. It's been so long since I've sampled the 2004, I'll need to have a comparative taste tomorrow.

I need to do this SBS as well. Bruce let me try the 2005 in Kentucky and it tasted better than my memory of the 2004 (which I also like) but we didn’t have a 2004 to compare.

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

8 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I need to do this SBS as well. Bruce let me try the 2005 in Kentucky and it tasted better than my memory of the 2004 (which I also like) but we didn’t have a 2004 to compare.

I did that SBS a couple weeks ago.  Both excellent in their own way.  The 04 is a much more subtle pour than the 05.  Take your time with it.  Definitely sample in the 04 first.  I compare the 05 to a GTS.  Full of flavor, bold, blow you away... 

Edited by gurgalunas

Ah crap now I need to go buy one. I've been passing on this for weeks, now you guys broke me.

2 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I did that SBS a couple weeks ago.  Both excellent in their own way.  The 04 is a much more subtle pour than the 05.  Take your time with it.  Definitely sample in the 04 first.  I compare the 05 to a GTS.  Full of flavor, bold, blow you away... 

I found them both relatively approachable and enjoyable-. You should try the Rhumb Runner series (if you haven't)— much more on par with the extremity of GTS, Thomas H Handy et al. 

11 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I found them both relatively approachable and enjoyable-. You should try the Rhumb Runner series (if you haven't)— much more on par with the extremity of GTS, Thomas H Handy et al. 

I'll keep an eye out for it.  Unfortunately, MO and KS dont have much quality rum to consider.  I feel fortunate that Foursquare distributes to KS, and that I only have to drive 45 min to get a bottle...