Jump to content
bdrinker

What rum are you drinking today?

Recommended Posts

tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, The Black Tot said:

They're all over Texas, Bruce. Total Wine should be carrying it near you.

 

I do so dislike going to Total Wine. The one closest to me is the one that doesn't carry liquor and the others are a major journey across town. I suppose if I an in the vicinity I could suspend my distaste long enough to take a look!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot   
The Black Tot

"Totally" with ya, but sometimes they're easier than buying from out of state.

 

They're the only ones who carry Foursquare at all in Texas, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
47 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

 

I do so dislike going to Total Wine. The one closest to me is the one that doesn't carry liquor and the others are a major journey across town. I suppose if I an in the vicinity I could suspend my distaste long enough to take a look!

On the plus side you can check their inventory before you go online so you don't go for no reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot   
The Black Tot
28 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

On the plus side you can check their inventory before you go online so you don't go for no reason.

 

+/- 1 or 2 on the accuracy, in my experience...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
7 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

 

+/- 1 or 2 on the accuracy, in my experience...

Yeah I just place the order for store pickup so I know if they actually have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz
On 8/12/2017 at 2:20 PM, The Black Tot said:

 

Yes it was made by Foursquare, and it's not unaged - It's aged 3yrs with the color filtered out of it.

 

Thanks for the info! There's a Drink Hacker review calling the white rum "woody", so I guess that makes sense. Not that I put much stock into DH's ratings or tasting notes.

 

I thought the Tommy Bahama "Golden Sun" was a 3yo as well. Is the only difference between the two that the White Sand is highly filtered to remove color? Or am I mistaken that the GS is also 3yo? It appears too dark to have spent only 3 years in the barrel, given that it's just 80 proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

 

Thanks for the info! There's a Drink Hacker review calling the white rum "woody", so I guess that makes sense. Not that I put much stock into DH's ratings or tasting notes.

 

I thought the Tommy Bahama "Golden Sun" was a 3yo as well. Is the only difference between the two that the White Sand is highly filtered to remove color? Or am I mistaken that the GS is also 3yo? It appears too dark to have spent only 3 years in the barrel, given that it's just 80 proof.

 

Always possible if the rum was bought in bulk and bottled outside Barbados that it had color added. I think they were both 3 years old, give or take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot   
The Black Tot

Golden Sun was not colored nor flavored. It may have been 6yr IIRC, but White Sand was a filtered 3. Like Havana Club 3yr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlutz   
Charlutz

dabf605c330a19ac0dad0164d082d6cf.jpg

 

I'm very early in my rum journey, having only bought a half dozen bottles and tasted a few more. My palate isn't picking out flavors as confidently as I pick them out of whiskey but I am liking the rum. Bought the McCoy 12 year today for $47 plus tax and opened it tonight. I asked a local store to order it and they came through. I find it drier than the other rums I've tasted and am really enjoying it. Taking my firstborn to start her college career at UNC tomorrow and the rum is doing me nicely as I reflect on the evolution of my family. Cheers!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jamie76   
Jamie76
58 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

dabf605c330a19ac0dad0164d082d6cf.jpg

 

I'm very early in my rum journey, having only bought a half dozen bottles and tasted a few more. My palate isn't picking out flavors as confidently as I pick them out of whiskey but I am liking the rum. Bought the McCoy 12 year today for $47 plus tax and opened it tonight. I asked a local store to order it and they came through. I find it drier than the other rums I've tasted and am really enjoying it. Taking my firstborn to start her college career at UNC tomorrow and the rum is doing me nicely as I reflect on the evolution of my family. Cheers!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

This is a good one.  My only criticism is the low abv.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kpiz   
Kpiz
dabf605c330a19ac0dad0164d082d6cf.jpg
 
I'm very early in my rum journey, having only bought a half dozen bottles and tasted a few more. My palate isn't picking out flavors as confidently as I pick them out of whiskey but I am liking the rum. Bought the McCoy 12 year today for $47 plus tax and opened it tonight. I asked a local store to order it and they came through. I find it drier than the other rums I've tasted and am really enjoying it. Taking my firstborn to start her college career at UNC tomorrow and the rum is doing me nicely as I reflect on the evolution of my family. Cheers!
 
 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 


I really need to get my hands on some Real McCoy rum so I can try it SBS with other FS rums.

I'll always remember when my folks dropped me off at the dorms, that's a special time. No surprise that you're in a reflective mood. Enjoy the trip, and don't forget to pack some good rum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

I haven't had a pour from these in a while, both are much better than I had expected.

IMG_20170829_202643376.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nomad   
Nomad

I really enjoy the PM and the EHP; the ICBU requires a bit more focus for me, but it does have its place. Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
2 hours ago, Nomad said:

I really enjoy the PM and the EHP; the ICBU requires a bit more focus for me, but it does have its place. Good stuff.

I haven't had the EHP I picked up the PM and the ICBU on clearance for $45 but haven't seen the EHP around aside from places that would ship for $80 plus shipping which is hard to justify for me based on other things I could buy at that price point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlutz   
Charlutz

In the beginning of my rum journey I've only had aged 80 proofers. Until now. Wow. This is a big rum. Is this the only Plantation product you guys like? Is it unadulterated? I love the flavor and the kick in the pants. I'm not sure I could pick out added flavors if they are there, so I'm not a rum snob yet, just trying to do it the right way. I love this one. 

IMG_3182.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink
3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

In the beginning of my rum journey I've only had aged 80 proofers. Until now. Wow. This is a big rum. Is this the only Plantation product you guys like? Is it unadulterated? I love the flavor and the kick in the pants. I'm not sure I could pick out added flavors if they are there, so I'm not a rum snob yet, just trying to do it the right way. I love this one. 

IMG_3182.JPG

It's a pretty fantastic pour to me, I wouldn't say I dislike Plantation products as much as most of them are pretty damn similar because of the Cognac finishing so I don't feel much need to purchase anything other than OFTD which is an affordable powerhouse. The Stiggin's fancy Pineapple is spoken of fondly by a few of the folks here, but I myself have not had it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot   
The Black Tot

I don't think it's unadulterated, but it gets a pass because it's been blended primarily for a tiki cocktail aficionado as opposed to the sipping rum aficionado. And as a tiki cocktail float, it does exactly what it says on the tin, it was selected by some very important tiki aficionados (on the label IIRC), it's shockingly affordable, and yes, it tastes good.

 

I bought a 12 case in case it goes away. But I'm like that.

 

Stiggins is the same - not designed as a sipper, but people do.

 

Lastly, note that they put the strength at 69% - I'm pretty sure they did this because one more percentage point and you couldn't legally take it on planes, a problem for most fans of overproof rums at the traditional proof of 151 - anything over 140 is illegal on planes.

Edited by The Black Tot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlutz   
Charlutz

Thanks fellas. That's helpful. I've discovered I like rum and this one has pushed it to a new level of enjoyment for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane   
Kane

Was rearranging my liquor cabinet (because had nothing better to do at 3am on a Saturday night). Found samples I kept from some of my first rum bottles who knows how many years ago: Mount Gay XO, and Appleton 12. Drinking them SBS, and these basics still impress me with their quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2

Got into the Foursquare Criterion over the weekend a bit. Just as good as I remember and stood up well against a variety of whiskey and other spirits (since I seldom seem to stay in one genre when at leisure to drink). Had planned to do some reorganizing of the liquor collection but never did seem to get around to that. Can't imagine why...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BourbonDude   
BourbonDude

I tried Matusalum for the first time 30 years ago and was quite impressed. It might have been my first premium rum, along with the Appleton Estate 12 yr. and the Mount Gay XO. I see it's still out there, in several price ranges. I'm no expert on rum, as I'm still learning compared to bourbon and scotch, but I was wondering what the members here thought about it.

Edited by BourbonDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink   
kevinbrink

This is a hell of a $25 bottle 

IMG_20170914_220652675.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NDN98   
NDN98

 Just opened this one and it is outstanding.  I'm new to rum, but I can see this one being one I would gravitate towards.

IMG_6587.JPG

Edited by NDN98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×