What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

Revelation again, last night I absolutely loved this. I want it again tonight so if I still love it as much I can get another bottle asap as I only know of one place that still has any near me.

• I like it 1

A late afternoon pour of Smith & Cross. I held onto this bottle for years before opening it a couple weeks ago, and now one half is gone! What a gem.

1 hour ago, CB. said:

I can't get the pic to post, but I broke out some diplomatico reserva exclusiva. Dang good for a sweeter rum.

Ha ha! Brings bad memories, bad ones :) I sometimes drink sweet rums like Zacapa and enjoy them for what they are, but this one I couldn't stomach. I detected some artificial vanilla thing going on, which was a bit too much for me. Ended up trying all sorts of things with it, mix with coffee, pour over ice cream, make rum balls, experiment with baked desserts... Nothing worked.

2 hours ago, Kane said:

A late afternoon pour of Smith & Cross. I held onto this bottle for years before opening it a couple weeks ago, and now one half is gone! What a gem.

Ha ha! Brings bad memories, bad ones :) I sometimes drink sweet rums like Zacapa and enjoy them for what they are, but this one I couldn't stomach. I detected some artificial vanilla thing going on, which was a bit too much for me. Ended up trying all sorts of things with it, mix with coffee, pour over ice cream, make rum balls, experiment with baked desserts... Nothing worked.

I agree its very liqueur-ish like. I prefer plantation xo myself for a sipper.

Mount Gay XO. Very nice but I found myself wishing it had something more going on, missing the funk of Appleton 12 and the more approachable pricing. Still, it was the first pour of a freshly opened bottle, I'm not about to write it off. We'll see if with some time and additional pours it comes into its own for me.

• I like it 1

On 1/9/2018 at 6:02 PM, Dravin said:

Mount Gay XO. Very nice but I found myself wishing it had something more going on, missing the funk of Appleton 12 and the more approachable pricing. Still, it was the first pour of a freshly opened bottle, I'm not about to write it off. We'll see if with some time and additional pours it comes into its own for me.

I liken it to Eagle rare, Im happy to have it around, and don't reach for it a ton but its great for an uncomplicated, quality drink you don't have to think heavily on.

Forgot to mention that I had a pour of the Real McCoy Smuggler's Cove edition at SC the other day. I was struggling with a cold so my taste buddies were more like frenemies at that point, but it was pretty nice. Lots of caramel and vanilla without being too candy-like. K&L just got some more in stock in case anyone was considering buying it.

After a little bourbon earlier, final opened up this 4-S 2004. Im not good with flavors, but their is no doughy this is very good. If I see another I will pick it up. 

9A50A2B5-57F3-45B3-B989-C0BDA0F741E2.thumb.jpeg.e91bdca67de64961478b73186626a222.jpeg

• I like it 2

Ended up opening the smugglers cove 12 year edition, it's great and I'll be buying a second tomorrow.

• I like it 1

I opened up the K&L Golden Devil Hampden 9yo last night and just had a small (~1oz) taste. The smells of musty fruit and acetone jump from the glass. The palate pretty much follows the nose with lots of overripe fruit (though not too much I could pick out specifically). It's drinkable at full strength of 125 proof while also being boozy, just not in an offensive way. I was reminded a bit of a dessert I had once which consisted of a bowl of small cherries that had been soaking in (and were served with a healthy portion of) cherry eau-de-vie - not that there is a strong cherry note here, more just that it tastes like slightly decayed fruit and alcohol. My friend had a few sips as well and said he got a strong apricot note. The whole experience is a bit like being in a fruit wholesale warehouse, with spoiled fruit permeating and overwhelming hints of fresh fruit. From memory, it lacks the refinement and depth of an older rum but it is certainly full of life and worth the asking price IMO.

I'm planning to do a blind SBS sometime in the next week with this GD Hampden 9yo agsinst the prior K&L GD 24yo Hampden and the Stolen 6yo Overproof (which is supposedly sourced from Hampden). That should give me a better sense of where it stands. Unfortunately the 24yo is 'only' 100 proof so I need to strategize how I want to do this.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Much darker than the age would suggest...perhaps some color added?

Nose is crawl into the glass complex and delightful with lots of flowers, damp earth and polished wood. The palate is perhaps overly tannic and woody for some but us termites love it. The woody notes back off for the long finish that is dry and playfully subtle and sweet. I expected a monster at this proof but it proved to be complex and balanced termite friendly cuddle muffin.

JBally4A.jpg

Edited by sailor22

49 minutes ago, sailor22 said:

Much darker than the age would suggest...perhaps some color added?

Nose is crawl into the glass complex and delightful with lots of flowers, damp earth and polished wood. The palate is perhaps overly tannic and woody for some but us termites love it. The woody notes back off for the long finish that is dry and playfully subtle and sweet. I expected a monster at this proof but it proved to be complex and balanced termite friendly cuddle muffin.

Man that sounds (and looks) mighty tasty.

Have you tried much older Armagnac? Some of the 25yo+ brut de fut Armagnacs have a crazy amount of oaky goodness and might be up your alley.

Yup - a big fan of a couple single barrels of 23 and 20 yr L'Encantada barrel proof Armagnac.  

Went through a lot of Bouju a few years ago but lost my enthusiasm for that brand eventually.

This rum was a LOT like a very aged barrel proof Armagnac - but without the hint of grape in the finish.

Yup - a big fan of a couple single barrels of 23 and 20 yr L'Encantada barrel proof Armagnac.  

Went through a lot of Bouju a few years ago but lost my enthusiasm for that brand eventually.

This rum was a LOT like a very aged barrel proof Armagnac - but without the hint of grape in the finish.

Are you referring to the Lous Pibous casks? I haven’t opened the 23yo yet but the 20yo is one of the best I’ve had. I’m hoping the next two Pibous casks from K&L are as good but it’s a pretty high bar.

I rarely find as much oak in rum. I’ll have to check the “termite” shelf [emoji6]

Had some pretty nasty bug and havent touched alcohol in a week, but tonight will be my triumphant return and rum seems an easier re-entry than whiskey so Ill be going with smugglers cove edition real mccoy.

Had some pretty nasty bug and havent touched alcohol in a week, but tonight will be my triumphant return and rum seems an easier re-entry than whiskey so Ill be going with smugglers cove edition real mccoy.

Terrible cold and flue season this year. I always tell myself that a little high proof booze can’t hurt.

I tried the RM Smugglers Cove edition at SC a couple weeks ago when I was sick. It tasted good but my palate wasn’t at 100%. Hope you’re able to appreciate it more than I could.

9 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Are you referring to the Lous Pibous casks? I haven’t opened the 23yo yet but the 20yo is one of the best I’ve had. I’m hoping the next two Pibous casks from K&L are as good but it’s a pretty high bar.

I rarely find as much oak in rum. I’ll have to check the “termite” shelf emoji6.png

Yes the Pibous. Last night my girlfriend and I did a three way comparo with the two Pibous Armagnacs and the Bally was deeper, richer, bolder and had tobacco where the Pibous had fruit.  

Yes the Pibous. Last night my girlfriend and I did a three way comparo with the two Pibous Armagnacs and the Bally was deeper, richer, bolder and had tobacco where the Pibous had fruit.  

Wow, bolder than the Pibous 20yo is saying something! I never really think about doing cross-category SBSs but it’s an interesting idea.

4 hours ago, sailor22 said:

Well, colored or not it certainly sounds like it is a great agricole! Was it bottled recently? I suppose I could see 16-17 years in the tropics getting a good deal of color in the right kind of barrels. Given it is made at the same distillery as Clement and I know there is at least some suspicion about what Clement might really be doing with their older rhum I suppose anything is possible though.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Smith & Cross. As much as I like (even love?) this, the more I drink, the more I realize it is indeed rough around the edges. Can't wait to SBS with Barrell Rum #1 and see how it fares.

11 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Wow, bolder than the Pibous 20yo is saying something! I never really think about doing cross-category SBSs but it’s an interesting idea.

We set up that tasting because the Bally reminded us the L'Encantada but we haven't had one of those open in awhile.  Se I dug two out of the bunker and yup, it was the deep complex barrel notes that were the common characteristic.

Started with a small pour of Foursquare 2004 this evening and then had a small pour of Prichard's Private Stock to compare. They are both very fine rums, but the higher ABV of the Foursquare 2004 gives it a slight edge. I then moved on to a pour of Smith & Cross...I really like this rum and it is an incredible value. Sticking somewhat with the rum theme, I finished off the evening with a pour of Pike Creek 10yr Canadian Whiskey finished in rum barrels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, bdrinker said:

Finally opened my bottle of zacapa 23. Sweet and tasty.

d10377241b75fc7fdf5e8c1600fa82f2.jpg

So much added sugar and probably flavoring that it doesn't resemble rum anymore. But what can I say, it is indeed very very tasty :)