Jump to content
bdrinker

What rum are you drinking today?

Recommended Posts

tanstaafl2
15 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Well it was fun while it lasted. I hear there’s a LS with a decent rum selection up the road.

 

EDD97F78-D2C4-470F-B013-229D1152D8B6.jpeg

If you make it to the big island there is a new rum distillery on the Kona coast that David Perkins (formerly owner of High West) is working with that might have some interesting rums. If not they may be available on the other islands. Would almost have to be more authentic and certainly more Hawaiian than Zacapa! Although admittedly that is a low bar...

 

Kuleana Rum Works

 

They currently have a blanc aricole that they made with an aged version on the way as well as a blend of their own rum with some unusual young sourced rums. How often do you see  Papua New Guinea as a source???

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwperry

One of my buddies brought this back from Hawaii for me recently. He was at Honolulu, I think this distillery is on the same island. I like it. I wish the bottle was bigger (he said they only sold 375) because it would make an awesome decanter.IMG_20190710_193610915.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jwperry said:

One of my buddies brought this back from Hawaii for me recently. He was at Honolulu, I think this distillery is on the same island. I like it. I wish the bottle was bigger (he said they only sold 375) because it would make an awesome decanter.IMG_20190710_193610915.jpg

Yeah the bottles they use are real nice. We stopped there when we were in Hawaii, it's a fun place to visit. We brought home one of these, which I think was aged for a few years in bourbon barrels, and anther one, which was barrel proof and aged (or maybe finished?) in Islay Scotch barrels. The Scotch barrel one was my favorite. The brand is a bit expensive because they're 375ml and cost about as much as a decent 750ml bottle, but it's a good experience if you're ever out there.

 

You can do a tasting and try fresh pressed cane juice, and some of the unaged versions of the different varieties of cane that they grow on site. It's really neat to see how the different canes create different flavor profiles in the spirit, but the unaged stuff was pretty much all jet fuel. It really makes a huge transformation when it's aged for even just a few years.

Edited by EarthQuake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
14 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

but the unaged stuff was pretty much all jet fuel. 

And that's bad somehow???? 

:D

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And that's bad somehow???? 

:D

Thats wut I was thinkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeepCover
On 7/10/2019 at 6:42 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

If you make it to the big island there is a new rum distillery on the Kona coast that David Perkins (formerly owner of High West) is working with that might have some interesting rums. If not they may be available on the other islands. Would almost have to be more authentic and certainly more Hawaiian than Zacapa! Although admittedly that is a low bar...

 

Kuleana Rum Works

 

They currently have a blanc aricole that they made with an aged version on the way as well as a blend of their own rum with some unusual young sourced rums. How often do you see  Papua New Guinea as a source???

 

I’m happy to check out the options, but I doubt i’ll be able to on this trip. Options have certainly been limited. Wailea Wine was my best option and their prices are 30% high.

 

Zacapa 23 and El Dorado 15 for $60 apiece? Ouch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...