What rum are you drinking today?

bdrinker

They were purchased recently and I think they are trying to expand their market, especially in the US, so not too surprised if stock for independent bottlers might be limited going forward.

16 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

They were purchased recently and I think they are trying to expand their market, especially in the US, so not too surprised if stock for independent bottlers might be limited going forward.

Hopefully that means some good premium bottlings here and not just  a bunch of 80 proof shelf fillers.

3 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Hopefully that means some good premium bottlings here and not just  a bunch of 80 proof shelf fillers.

Time will tell. I heard from another SB member that 1931 rum was available in the US recently. It may have come here before but I had not seen it here prior to just recently. Got both of the ones I have on the Island.

Just now, tanstaafl2 said:

Time will tell. I heard from another SB member that 1931 rum was available in the US recently. It may have come here before but I had not seen it here prior to just recently. Got both of the ones I have on the Island.

Mission and Hi-Time both have it, is it worth double the Cask Strength Hamilton St Lucia's?

4 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Mission and Hi-Time both have it, is it worth double the Cask Strength Hamilton St Lucia's?

Hard for me to say yes since I purchased both of mine for about $50. The mashbill has some of the agricole that made the black label version interesting but the price seems a bit on the high side to me.

1 minute ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Hard for me to say yes since I purchased both of mine for about $50. The mashbill has some of the agricole that made the black label version interesting but the price seems a bit on the high side to me.

I've been tempted having read reviews, but the fact that it's in CA and I cant hold the bottles has probably helped me pass to this point. Probably need to bunker a couple of the different Hamilton/MoR cask strengths just in case!

30 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I've been tempted having read reviews, but the fact that it's in CA and I cant hold the bottles has probably helped me pass to this point. Probably need to bunker a couple of the different Hamilton/MoR cask strengths just in case!

Yep. Seeing the 1931 going for $95 at K&L made me want to buy 1-2 of each of the Hamilton St Lucia bottlings since there are still a few on shelves here, and I like the 9yo CS I just opened. Which Hamilton St Lucia ages/batches are available near you?

6 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Yep. Seeing the 1931 going for $95 at K&L made me want to buy 1-2 of each of the Hamilton St Lucia bottlings since there are still a few on shelves here, and I like the 9yo CS I just opened. Which Hamilton St Lucia ages/batches are available near you?

Astor has only non CS left, so at this point I would probably be ordering from Mission.

27 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Celebrating a gopher lead over Purdue.  I hope they can maintain. 

IMG_20171007_161216.jpg

What do you think about this? Literally saw one on the shelf a few hours ago, it was marked up ~$20 so I passed (and I just got the Criterion too), but still pondering going back for it tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Kane said:

What do you think about this? Literally saw one on the shelf a few hours ago, it was marked up ~$20 so I passed (and I just got the Criterion too), but still pondering going back for it tomorrow.

I like it better than Criterion personally.

Astor has only non CS left, so at this point I would probably be ordering from Mission.

Looks like Mission has the 7yr? There’s some 8 and 9 yr CS at a store near me. Let me know if you’re interested.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Looks like Mission has the 7yr? There’s some 8 and 9 yr CS at a store near me. Let me know if you’re interested.

Thanks, I ordered an 8 and a 7 from Mission yesterday so I'm good for now but appreciate it! 

• I like it 1

This is new to me and I really enjoyed it. A blend of Plummers from Jamaica and rhum from Martinique, then aged 8 tears.

1011171756c.jpg

Bought this on a whim a couple of weeks ago.  Pretty smooth and not overly sweet.  For $22, I was impressed. First Dominican rum I have bought as well.

D6B92B6B-5037-4AEF-96CB-9779A9EC0287.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This was waiting for me this morning when I got to work, one of my employees just took a trip to Cuba and brought this back for me, knew I liked that guy!

havana club.jpg

Bought this on a whim a couple of weeks ago.  Pretty smooth and not overly sweet.  For $22, I was impressed. First Dominican rum I have bought as well.
D6B92B6B-5037-4AEF-96CB-9779A9EC0287.thumb.jpeg.d9936a2705eefae054eeddcf1363a8a9.jpeg

I picked up the 12yr Bacoo a few weeks ago, and liked it, but I also thought it was a bit sweet...not liqueur sweet, but I suspect some added sugar. I think I'm going to pick up a 5 or 8yr for contrast. Some of the reviews I've now seen have actually rated the 5 and 8yr higher than the 12yr, so it will be interesting to taste the differences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

This was waiting for me this morning when I got to work, one of my employees just took a trip to Cuba and brought this back for me, knew I liked that guy!

havana club.jpg

Nice!

3 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I picked up the 12yr Bacoo a few weeks ago, and liked it, but I also thought it was a bit sweet...not liqueur sweet, but I suspect some added sugar. I think I'm going to pick up a 5 or 8yr for contrast. Some of the reviews I've now seen have actually rated the 5 and 8yr higher than the 12yr, so it will be interesting to taste the differences.

I liked the Bacoo 8 and while somewhat sweet, it wasn't overly sweet.  I would rate the sweetness somewhere between a Foursquare 2004 (not very sweet) and a Plantation XO 20th anniversary rum (very sweet to me)

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

13 hours ago, NDN98 said:

I liked the Bacoo 8 and while somewhat sweet, it wasn't overly sweet.  I would rate the sweetness somewhere between a Foursquare 2004 (not very sweet) and a Plantation XO 20th anniversary rum (very sweet to me)

I posted this in the Bacoo thread:

Looks like someone on Rum Ratings said the sugar on this is measured at 20 GPL, for comparison El Dorado 12 yr is 35 GPL and Seale's 10yr is 4 GPL

Plantation XO is 29 GPL

Edited by kevinbrink

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I posted this in the Bacoo thread:

Looks like someone on Rum Ratings said the sugar on this is measured at 20 GPL, for comparison El Dorado 12 yr is 35 GPL and Seale's 10yr is 4 GPL

Plantation XO is 29 GPL

Thanks for the additional info. 20 g/L, while not outrageously high, certainly does skew the liquid pretty far from what it would be in its unadulterated state. Of course, the margin for error of those tests is at least plus or minus a few grams as illustrated by the Seale's 10yr, which tests at 4 g/L but does not have added sugar (though it does have a small amount of color).

I have a set of hydrometers that I bought with the intention of checking rums and brandies for added sugar but I haven't used them much because it makes me feel like a pedant. But, every time I try something that is suspiciously sweet I'm tempted to pull them out.

• 2 weeks later...