Tom's Foolery - BIB

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw that Tom's Foolery has a Bottled in Bond out.  4 years old 100 proof in 53 gallon barrels.  It checks off all the boxes.  It is a nice amber color and smells like corn and vanilla.  The first sip is all corn with a little bit of new makey flavor.  This fades into some really nice vanilla and has a long finish.  This is decent stuff but I think it still needs another year or so.  I got mine for $45 but have seen it for $49 also so a little pricey for what it is.  Some of the micro's are at least getting fully aged bourbons in full barrels out which is nice to see but not quite up to the big boys yet

24 minutes ago, VAGentleman said:

Some of the micro's are at least getting fully aged bourbons in full barrels out which is nice to see but not quite up to the big boys yet

Yea, there's one in my neck of the woods I'm anxiously awaiting.  It's a wheater (so they could source locally as rye doesn't grow in the heat here) that's been aging since March 2012 in 53 gallon barrels.  I'm pleased they haven't rushed anything into a bottle.

Any reason this was moved to Craft Bourbon from Tasting?  Seems pretty random since I posted tasting notes

23 hours ago, dcbt said:

Yea, there's one in my neck of the woods I'm anxiously awaiting.  It's a wheater (so they could source locally as rye doesn't grow in the heat here) that's been aging since March 2012 in 53 gallon barrels.  I'm pleased they haven't rushed anything into a bottle.

Are you referring to the F&R?

I'm anxiously awaiting that one too, though I'm also glad they didn't rush it out.

17 minutes ago, kjbeggs said:

Are you referring to the F&R?

I'm anxiously awaiting that one too, though I'm also glad they didn't rush it out.

Yeppers, F&R...

edit to add: It's a good thing TX Blended sells so well - keeps their lights on while the bourbon ages without being rushed...

Edited by dcbt

Thanks for posting a review of this. I've been seeing this pop up in some stores and was really curious.  I really want to try this but for $50 did not want to try it blind.  From your review I think I am going to pass and hope to find a bar I can try it at.  I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had this and what they think?  I want to give the Tom's Foolery Apple Jack a try too, that one I may be willing to try blind.

• 4 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, NightCru said:

Thanks for posting a review of this. I've been seeing this pop up in some stores and was really curious.  I really want to try this but for $50 did not want to try it blind.  From your review I think I am going to pass and hope to find a bar I can try it at.  I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had this and what they think?  I want to give the Tom's Foolery Apple Jack a try too, that one I may be willing to try blind.

I believe that the Lizardvilles have the Tom's Foolery BIB available.  I don't know where you live in Columbus, but there should be one near the Polaris area.

On 10/21/2016 at 11:36 AM, ThirstyinOhio said:

I believe that the Lizardvilles have the Tom's Foolery BIB available.  I don't know where you live in Columbus, but there should be one near the Polaris area.

Great recommendation!  Coincidentally enough, I just went to the Lizardville by Polaris for the first time last week.  What a magical place!  They had both the 90 proof Bourbon and Rye but not the BIB.  I tried what they had, I quite liked the bourbon, not so much that I would buy a bottle but enough that I would drink it again.  I did not care for the rye at all, it tasted very young and new makey.  If given the chance I would try the BIB version of each but won't be buying a bottle, at least not at this point.

• 8 months later...

I like this stuff.  It's one of the few craft whiskeys that I actually bought a second bottle of.   The history is interesting - it's distilled in the historic small copper pot still from the old Michter's Jug House.    I'll need to do a side by side on of these days with my last finger's worth of A.H. Hirsch,  which came from the same still

23 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

I like this stuff.  It's one of the few craft whiskeys that I actually bought a second bottle of.   The history is interesting - it's distilled in the historic small copper pot still from the old Michter's Jug House.    I'll need to do a side by side on of these days with my last finger's worth of A.H. Hirsch,  which came from the same still

I bought a bottle and wanted to like it but it still seemed to taste relatively young to me despite being BIB. I need to try it again and get some other opinions on it.

I tasted this in a blind tasting and scored it a 60, with a score of 70 representing a poor whiskey.

I enjoyed the one single barrel BIB release I had from Tom's Foolery quite a bit for what it was, but I tend to agree that 4 years is still young for the spirit.  I don't regret buying it, and will probably pick up a BIB rye to try eventually.  If 6+ year releases make it out my way, I will absolutely buy to try as well.

Edited by garbanzobean

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.