Any Pipe Smokers out there?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What tabacco and whisky combo do you like?

or

what whisky do you like to enjoy with your pipe?

When I was a kid, my godfather (who was like a second father to me) was a pipe smoker. To this day, I still love the smell of a good pipe. I tried smoking a pipe a few times, but just couldn't get used to it. :huh: However, I do smoke cigars. From time to time, I get together with a few friends here that like cigars, and bourbon as well as other spirits. They give me a little bit of a hard time because I like pipe tobacco cigars. ^_^ Like my godfather, I prefer Middleton's Cherry Blend. I also like Middleton's Black And Mild, and Blackstone Cherry cigars. As far as pairings with bourbon go, it's all good! :)

Cheers! Joe

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

When I was a kid, my godfather (who was like a second father to me) was a pipe smoker. To this day, I still love the smell of a good pipe. I tried smoking a pipe a few times, but just couldn't get used to it. :huh: However, I do smoke cigars. From time to time, I get together with a few friends here that like cigars, and bourbon as well as other spirits. They give me a little bit of a hard time because I like pipe tobacco cigars. ^_^ Like my godfather, I prefer Middleton's Cherry Blend. I also like Middleton's Black And Mild, and Blackstone Cherry cigars. As far as pairings with bourbon go, it's all good! :)

Cheers! Joe

My dad would smoke a pipe occasionally when I was a young kid but that was short-lived.  I have never tried one (or a pipe tobacco cigar for that matter) but to this day I still really like the smell of a pipe.  Cigars and cigarettes smell awful to me, but, man, a pipe smells really nice.

Edited by dcbt

• 2 weeks later...

Billy Budd or any of the Latakia rich blends go well with most bourbons. My favorite is EMP with Evan Williams White. Quite tasty!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

The other night I was enjoying what our local tobacconist calls its "Balkan Blend" and it paired very nicely with a little OGD BIB

I have tried most every type of pipe and tobacco made.  Even some tobacco that was never meant to be smoked in a pipe (think those fire cured whole leaf chewing tobaccos and even some chewing plug).  I tried and discarded aromatics early on, not enough taste.   I enjoy those more when someone else is smoking them, but when I smoke aromatics, I can't  taste much.  I went over to English blends and did the Latakia bomb thing for a while, but got tired of that. 

What I tend to smoke most are matured VA flakes, and mostly in Savinelli Canadian pipes.   Many VA flakes would bite my tongue pretty bad, and I'm probably a faster smoker than I should be, so the usual advice of "slow down to avoid bite" never worked for me.   Eventually I found a good subset of VA flakes that would suit my smoking style.  

Right now, most of my bunker consists of Hal o' the Wynd, Escudo, Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown, with a few outliers like Peterson University Flake and Solani Gold.  

As to pipes, I have a good cross section of shapes and sizes, some quite attractive.  However, every time I step away from my Canadians, I get a lot of hot, gurgly moisture and I go back every time.

Edited by ken_mays

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016 at 11:15 PM, ken_mays said:

I have tried most every type of pipe and tobacco made.  Even some tobacco that was never meant to be smoked in a pipe (think those fire cured whole leaf chewing tobaccos and even some chewing plug).  I tried and discarded aromatics early on, not enough taste.   I enjoy those more when someone else is smoking them, but when I smoke aromatics, I can't  taste much.  I went over to English blends and did the Latakia bomb thing for a while, but got tired of that. 

What I tend to smoke most are matured VA flakes, and mostly in Savinelli Canadian pipes.   Many VA flakes would bite my tongue pretty bad, and I'm probably a faster smoker than I should be, so the usual advice of "slow down to avoid bite" never worked for me.   Eventually I found a good subset of VA flakes that would suit my smoking style.  

Right now, most of my bunker consists of Hal o' the Wynd, Escudo, Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown, with a few outliers like Peterson University Flake and Solani Gold.  

As to pipes, I have a good cross section of shapes and sizes, some quite attractive.  However, every time I step away from my Canadians, I get a lot of hot, gurgly moisture and I go back every time.

Great post. 

I mainly smoke Mississippi River from Seaytle  pipe club. 

Smoke in my Hakert

Edited by BigPapa

• 3 weeks later...

Gave up the Lat bombs...Gimme a burley forward or Va/Bur all day long! Paired with Bourbon= no brainer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I'm totally pedestrian with my pipe smoking.  I pick up a pouch of Captain  Black once a year, which I did again the other day.  Out back tonight enjoying it in the Dr. Graybow Lark Mrsmokinjoe gave me in college 30 some-odd years ago.  

image.jpg

• I like it 1

I'm totally pedestrian with my pipe smoking.  I pick up a pouch of Captain  Black once a year, which I did again the other day.  Out back tonight enjoying it in the Dr. Graybow Lark Mrsmokinjoe gave me in college 30 some-odd years ago.  
image.jpg

Sweet pipe!
  • I like it 1

• 1 year later...

I am a pipe smoker, usually in the afternoons out on the patio.  I vary the tobacco, right now it is a maple-rum  I get online.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tinderbox  North Sea with Makers Mark, nice during winter on the patio when snowing or just out doors.

Three Toed Pete with High West Double Rye.
McClelland  Frog Morton with Evan Williams.

I never paired bourbon with my pipe in the past but I'm wondering about Borkum Riff bourbon whiskey tobacco, and if it pairs with any particular bourbon well. Worth a try?

Please be advised that I am not now, nor have I ever been a smoker, so my opinions may be completely irrelevant for actual smokers.

My best friend was a cigarette smoker for many years, and a few years ago I tried to get him interested in pipe smoking in the hopes that would cut down on his cigarette consumption.  Probably not the best laid plan (it didn't work, which may actually be good), but he did end up quitting a year or two later.  Anyway, I bought a couple corn cob pipes, and we tried several tobaccos, some "drug store" stuff like Captain Morgan and the like, and some stuff from one of the local tobacconists.  The only tobacco either of us enjoyed was Maple Walnut from the local tobacconist, and the reason was it tasted just like it smelled even once we lit it up.  Pretty much all the other tobaccos just tasted smoky and ashy to me.  I really, really hate ashtray mouth, so I drank bourbon while smoking.  I wouldn't smoke without it.

21 hours ago, Lenient said:

I never paired bourbon with my pipe in the past but I'm wondering about Borkum Riff bourbon whiskey tobacco, and if it pairs with any particular bourbon well. Worth a try?

My dad smoked Borkum Riff for a while years [decades] ago, and I'm pretty sure my best friend and I tried their bourbon tobacco and did not enjoy it.  But a pouch isn't very costly, and your palate is probably different than mine, so why not give it a whirl?

• I like it 1

Blakemar Briars with Wilke Dummerston Virginia Flake, and my guilty pleasure Captain Black Blue Bulk.  Pairs well with EWBIB, GD12, and WTRB.

• 1 year later...

Funny, I just saw @BigPapa's post from 3 years ago, so I'm really late to the party (thanks for giving a nod to the pipe crowd!). At any rate, this year marks my 30th year of enjoying pipe smoking. It isn't a daily pleasure anymore, and these days I probably only do it every few months or so out on my patio. Over the years, I've enjoyed smoking Comoy's of London (Port wood, etc.), Captain Black (my stepfather smoked this, so it has fond memories for me), and Edward's Black Watch, which is a good everyday blend. In fact, I actually first came up with the concept of Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Bourbon to accompany a pipe rather than a cigar. When I helped to formulate Iron Root Republic's Icarus corn whiskey finished in Port and Islay malt casks, the thought was to be able to pair it along similar lines. I don't mean to self-promote on here, since that's not really what this should be about, but I have to say that I often do whiskey formulations keeping in mind how it will pair with an aromatic pipe. I just can't help myself. 

I don't know if there's anything in the brown spirits world out there that I don't enjoy pairing my pipe with. Doesn't matter if I formulated or blended it, I just love the combination of a pipe with various Bourbons (GTS, WLW, older Willett blends, etc), single malt whiskeys, artisanal Cognacs and alambic style brandies, and my all-time favorite are pairings with vintage Bas Armagnacs. 

Although I love cigars, I would almost always prefer to smoke a pipe if I'm in the mood to sit out on the deck and smoke and drink. These days I find it has less of an effect on me the next day, which these days is pretty important. 

To all pipe smokers out there, cheers!

Nancy

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

• I like it 4

Funny, I just saw [mention=11094]BigPapa[/mention]'s post from 3 years ago, so I'm really late to the party (thanks for giving a nod to the pipe crowd!). At any rate, this year marks my 30th year of enjoying pipe smoking. It isn't a daily pleasure anymore, and these days I probably only do it every few months or so out on my patio. Over the years, I've enjoyed smoking Comoy's of London (Port wood, etc.), Captain Black (my stepfather smoked this, so it has fond memories for me), and Edward's Black Watch, which is a good everyday blend. In fact, I actually first came up with the concept of Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend Bourbon to accompany a pipe rather than a cigar. When I helped to formulate Iron Root Republic's Icarus corn whiskey finished in Port and Islay malt casks, the thought was to be able to pair it along similar lines. I don't mean to self-promote on here, since that's not really what this should be about, but I have to say that I often do whiskey formulations keeping in mind how it will pair with an aromatic pipe. I just can't help myself. 

I don't know if there's anything in the brown spirits world out there that I don't enjoy pairing my pipe with. Doesn't matter if I formulated or blended it, I just love the combination of a pipe with various Bourbons (GTS, WLW, older Willett blends, etc), single malt whiskeys, artisanal Cognacs and alambic style brandies, and my all-time favorite are pairings with vintage Bas Armagnacs. 

Although I love cigars, I would almost always prefer to smoke a pipe if I'm in the mood to sit out on the deck and smoke and drink. These days I find it has less of an effect on me the next day, which these days is pretty important. 

To all pipe smokers out there, cheers!

Nancy

IMG_2350.thumb.jpg.c998b9023f669fbe5d134423ffd9a49b.jpg
IMG_2309.thumb.jpg.354a1b6c8e2bdabb0a5574a267dcd427.jpg

Great looking pipe Nancy!!
Thanks for bringing this topic back to life.
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.