What bourbon are you enjoying? Summer 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

had trouble making a decision tonight but wound up with a pour of OE101 now gonna catch up on tonights "protests" in town (Charlotte)

20 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

Four Roses Single Barrel... Yum

My first bottle of FRSB, and I had it over a large ice sphere.  Sweet, very full and rich tasting.  When it was gone.   I poured the same amount of EC12(nas) in the glass over the sphere of ice.  Night and day.  I now know FRSB is my kind of bourbon.  I have read (here I believe ) that any bottle of FRSB not part of a private bottling and 100 proof with just Warehouse info, will be OSBV.  Thought I would like the lesser rye mashbill more, but the taste test proves otherwise. Outstanding pour on the deck with steaks on the grill.

A couple of pours tonight because it is Wednesday.  The cigar really brought out the sweetness in the Woodford.

IMG_4038.jpg  IMG_4045.jpg

On 9/19/2016 at 10:07 PM, Golzee said:

Opened a bottle of Henry Mckenna BIB which is fantastic.  Gonna have to spend more time with this one.

As a SiB, it can vary.  If you REALLY like the one you have, get the barrel number and RUN back to the stores near where you bought it.

Today (WED 21 SEP), I noticed that a basic BT had about a 1/4 inch of BT in it.  Decided to free up shelf space since my wife was grocery shopping.  After my nap, we had cocktails before dinner with JB BIB, Carpano Antica, and cherry grapefruit soda.  During South Park tonight, I have no idea - YET - what I'll have.  Figuring that out is why I'm on SB now.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Spelling, of course

On 9/16/2016 at 9:47 PM, LCWoody said:

I'm having a 22y old tonight........

image.jpeg

I picked one up a couple weeks ago but I'm waiting to crack it. How was it?

Had some 4R OBSO from Grapevine Liquors earlier while grilling some steaks to enjoy the last day of Summer. Now it's a pour of EW BIB while listening to the game. Not bad for an average Wednesday evening.

38 minutes ago, JTaylor said:

I picked one up a couple weeks ago but I'm waiting to crack it. How was it?

It's very good to me, now keep in mind I love old bourbons. Very woody, syrupy, and sweet. I like it enough that I have put 5 more in the bunker. I know I cant find a better price on a 22y bourbon, and it's good.

9 hours ago, LCWoody said:

It's very good to me, now keep in mind I love old bourbons. Very woody, syrupy, and sweet. I like it enough that I have put 5 more in the bunker. I know I cant find a better price on a 22y bourbon, and it's good.

Yeah, the age is why I bought it. The reviews I could find showed it to be a good representation of an old bourbon, so I shelled out the $149 they were asking for it more for the experience of trying a 22 yr old just so I know, but 5 more? Probably not, unless I can find them priced more reasonably. :)  Thanks a lot for your input!

HHBIB (the last 6year age stated in my bunker) last night. Getting down to the heel. I love to have an HHBIB for the summer and last night I realized why.  I'm not sure how I haven't noticed this before (or maybe my palate was playing tricks on me last night) but I could have sworn there was a little bright citrus note (like mandarin orange soda) woven in the typical bourbon tapestry. I really think it's that element (which I haven't picked out before) that makes it sing with an ice cube on a warm night.

Though this posting proves me either hopelessly unobservant for years or delusional for a night, I'm still curious if others pick up that note.

• 3 months later...
On September 11, 2016 at 2:33 AM, flahute said:

For the first time in a very long time (not counting when I fly Delta), I can say that I'm drinking Woodford Reserve. A local chef has selected a custom batch. It's similar to the single barrel programs from other distilleries but instead of selecting a single barrel, you select a number of barrels and then a custom blend of those barrels. This is better than any WR I've had in a long time. Full and rich in flavor. I'll be going back to grab a few more of these.

Hey Steve.  Did the bottle look like this one on the left?  A buddy shot me this pic from a store in Indiana asking me about it , and I was stumped.  I've not seen one like this before. Looked around here and found your post.

image.jpg

WR seems to have come out with new packaging in general so to the best of my knowledge this will be replacing the former bottle. Whether the spirit is any different I can not say.

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

WR seems to have come out with new packaging in general so to the best of my knowledge this will be replacing the former bottle. Whether the spirit is any different I can not say.

A link I just dug up. Not sure where I saw it but I just saw it recently in Atlanta.

http://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/woodford-reserve-redesigns-packaging-double-oaked-rest-product-line/

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Hey Steve.  Did the bottle look like this one on the left?  A buddy shot me this pic from a store in Indiana asking me about it , and I was stumped.  I've not seen one like this before. Looked around here and found your post.

image.jpg

Joe, I've never seen that design in your photo. 

The bottle I was referring to looks like this:

IMG_6232.JPG

Edited by flahute

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Joe, I've never seen that design in your photo. 

The bottle I was referring to looks like this:

IMG_6232.JPG

Hmmm.  Well, I wonder what's up, then?  New line extension of barrel finishes, perhaps?

A store selection of standard FRSB, age stated 8yr. Might tasty 100 proof goodness. 

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

image.jpg

This beautifully designed 'new' bottle first started popping up around here about two weeks ago.  I first saw it at Red Dot in Frankfort.  Funny thing is, on the same day I saw it in Frankfort, the distillery gift shop still only had the 'old' bottles on display.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.