What bourbon are you enjoying? Summer 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What bourbon are you enjoying not that the days are starting to get shorter?  I'm taking the evening off.  Happy summer, hurry fall.

AAA 10 Star (the over 4 yr version, not the new "aged at least 36 months" version)- delicious and inexpensive to boot!

Edited by starhopper

joined the cult last night with my favorite FR PS OESO.  followed up with some BT

Had a good healthy pour of Larceny last night after flushing out the drain line for our HVAC system. Tonight I believe I'll opt for something with a little more age behind it. Maybe some WLW 12yr or maybe EC 12yr. Hmmmmm... Maybe a pour of each!

Poured a glencairn of EH Taylor Barrel Proof, batch 1, glugged some cold water into it.  I'll let it come back up to room temp while I get cleaned up from my day.  EHTBP is a good pour, but I definitely prefer Stagg Jr.  Will probably pour the rest of the bottle into 2oz samples after another pour or two.  Move on to something new.

Edited by garbanzobean

Just had some 4R PS OBSF from Davidson's. It's very nice. 11y 11m, 119.8 proof. I have just a sample, but wouldn't hesitate to buy a bottle of this stuff if I had the chance.

45 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Poured a glencairn of EH Taylor Barrel Proof, batch 1, glugged some cold water into it.  I'll let it come back up to room temp while I get cleaned up from my day.  EHTBP is a good pour, but I definitely prefer Stagg Jr.  Will probably pour the rest of the bottle into 2oz samples after another pour or two.  Move on to something new.

IMO, that's the hottest batch so far.  It'll make you piss fire! :D

14 minutes ago, Paddy said:

IMO, that's the hottest batch so far.  It'll make you piss fire! :D

Yes it certainly is.  It could be my imagination, but EHTBP in general seems to lack the full, rich body of BT's other high proof whiskies.  Batch 1 seems like the worst offender, but all the batches I've tried seem a bit thin.  Ah well.  Still perfectly good whiskey.

Had some reheated Ribs, BBQ Beans and Mac & Cheese. Life is Food... errr... Good!

Sipping on some WSR, like I said before, life is good. 

37 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Yes it certainly is.  It could be my imagination, but EHTBP in general seems to lack the full, rich body of BT's other high proof whiskies.  Batch 1 seems like the worst offender, but all the batches I've tried seem a bit thin.  Ah well.  Still perfectly good whiskey.

I fully agree with your assessment Eric, ...as I sip on a three finger pour of ER10.

2 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Cut it with ER10 instead of water. I do this with Stagg Jr. batch 2 and the transformation is remarkable. 

Had a generous pour of GTS, '14 vintage.     Very satisfying, if a bit on the sweet side. 

The good news is that a generous pour of nearly any vintage of GTS is almost all one needs for an entire afternoon of enjoyment.    It was today.

9 hours ago, Paddy said:

I fully agree with your assessment Eric, ...as I sip on a three finger pour of ER10.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Cut it with ER10 instead of water. I do this with Stagg Jr. batch 2 and the transformation is remarkable. 

ER10 used to be a favorite pour of mine.  The last bottle I had didn't really do it for me, so I don't have any left.  At any rate, I put the last of the EHTBP into sample bottles to give away to friends.  Opened a High West Yippie Ki-Yay in its place.  

Shut up.  Sit down.  Go home.   The King just entered the room.

This is Whiskey Greatness.

image.jpg

No argument on any of that, Joe.    Hard to beat GT Stagg,  .....with anything I've ever tasted, anyway.

I like 'The King's' new crown, there, Joe.    Very fitting.

Edited by Richnimrod
OOOOOps, Typo!

Decided to start the night off with some rye instead of bourbon. But I made up ground quickly with two generous pours of WTRB and regular BT. I have a feeling I will be getting back into the bourbon pool again tomorrow evening. 

Started the weekend with three fingers of ER10.  Fantastic pour, nicely balanced with a great nose!  Hat's off to BT for maintaining an age statement and very good profile here, while many of us struggled and complained about the shortages/rolling blackouts.  Well, it's still pretty much readily available (and usually under $30 per 750 here).  That, to me, is worth an attaboy!  Well done!

Finished up with a couple fingers of the KBA pick OBSF (had to punch the cult card!-_-).  I am very impressed... although a little thicker mouthfeel would be appreciated, this is a fine pour.  Like a delicate flower, it definitely wants/needs water to bloom, but wow, just wow, when you hit the sweet spot, it opens up nicely and give you a generous dose of honey, mint and leather.  As I noted a few days ago, the finish is even enhanced after the down proof and a little air time...

P. S. I can't wait for Steve's palate burnout to subside, so he can get back into this one and chime in with a little more detail!

Bueller?:D

12 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Started the weekend with three fingers of ER10.  Fantastic pour, nicely balanced with a great nose!  Hat's off to BT for maintaining an age statement and very good profile here, while many of us struggled and complained about the shortages/rolling blackouts.  Well, it's still pretty much readily available (and usually under $30 per 750 here).  That, to me, is worth an attaboy!  Well done!

Finished up with a couple fingers of the KBA pick OBSF (had to punch the cult card!-_-).  I am very impressed... although a little thicker mouthfeel would be appreciated, this is a fine pour.  Like a delicate flower, it definitely wants/needs water to bloom, but wow, just wow, when you hit the sweet spot, it opens up nicely and give you a generous dose of honey, mint and leather.  As I noted a few days ago, the finish is even enhanced after the down proof and a little air time...

P. S. I can't wait for Steve's palate burnout to subside, so he can get back into this one and chime in with a little more detail!

Bueller?:D

Happy to hear your reports and that you are enjoying it!

I am unable to report on it just yet as I don't have mine yet. That issue will be solved tomorrow though as that is when fed-ex will be delivering my bounty from the KBA.

I do promise to open one of those up straight away so I can revisit it and report. I still have my score card from the barrel pick so I'll report on the pick process as well.

I may even have a few photos to include with the report! 

4 minutes ago, flahute said:

Happy to hear your reports and that you are enjoying it!

I am unable to report on it just yet as I don't have mine yet. That issue will be solved tomorrow though as that is when fed-ex will be delivering my bounty from the KBA.

I do promise to open one of those up straight away so I can revisit it and report. I still have my score card from the barrel pick so I'll report on the pick process as well.

I may even have a few photos to include with the report! 

So basically, Christmas in Seattle, is tomorrow!!!!

Are you going to be able to sleep tonight?  :lol:

Just now, Paddy said:

So basically, Christmas in Seattle, is tomorrow!!!!

Are you going to be able to sleep tonight?  :lol:

Christmas in June! I am a bit excited. I wasn't sure what I should open first, but you solved that dilemma for me.

Finally enjoying a sample of CEHT BP (thanks, Dad!) that I had lost in the shuffle of experimental mingles.  I was underwhelmed with my purchase of the first release of CEHT BP (not that it wasn't good bourbon, but I had the unrealistic expectation that at $70 it should be like GTS which was about the same price at the time).  This one is delicious, and takes water like a champ.  

After dinner went with a nice WTKS while pondering which rye and single malt to add to the dance card.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.