What bottle did you open today? Summer 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened my first bottle of Johnny Drum this evening. I have tasted multiple samples of this before, but had never gotten around to opening a bottle I have had for a while now. I forgot how smooth it was. Had a nice sweet vanilla on the finish for me which I really like in my bourbon.

9 hours ago, elmossle said:

Opened my first bottle of Johnny Drum this evening. I have tasted multiple samples of this before, but had never gotten around to opening a bottle I have had for a while now. I forgot how smooth it was. Had a nice sweet vanilla on the finish for me which I really like in my bourbon.

I'm assuming this is the Private Stock?

1 hour ago, Hop said:

Opened and had a couple of pours from a Bulleit Cask Strength - quite good

I sipped on that last night.  It is almost dangerous how smooth that bourbon is for that proof.

I opened the Bookers 2015 Center Cut.  So far not my favorite, which surprised me because I have had some other batches that I really enjoyed.  Maybe some air will do it good.

I'm not sure if maybe this belongs in the dusty thread.  I opened a 1L bottle of Old Taylor 6 year old 80 proof.  I've had it for a long time in the "bunker".  The bottom of the bottle has a 93.  This was probably an early Beam version of the brand after they took over from ND.  The nose is fantastic.  Drinking it is almost exactly what one might suspect.  It's almost like Beam black label, but not quite because its two years younger and a little less proof.  I get an aftertaste that reminds me of flat cola.  Early in my bourbon adventure, I would try some 80 proofers, particularly with an age statement.    

14 hours ago, Canarse said:

I'm assuming this is the Private Stock?

Yes you would be correct. Private Stock indeed.

I opened a bottle of Michaels 10 yr that I bought earlier this year that I was saving for. Asexual occasion. 

No special occasion, in just really drunk and I just opened it

*special occasion not sexual, old lady is asleep already

I opened two in two days. A larceny, which I've been without for a few months because I wanted to drink some other things,

And an EWSB 2004 which I've been holding onto for a year waiting for a good time to open it. I had never had the 2004 before, but it's been so long that I don't really remember what it tastes like. It didn't remind me too much of the bib. I got some oak, and no banana note or sage/herbal taste that I sometimes get.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I decided to open a handle of Old Forester BIB that has been sitting in my bunker for quite some time. :wub:

Just opened a bottle of ECBP 138.8 proof.  Really enjoying it right off the bat.

Four Roses SB "Hand Selected Barrel" (normal recipe @ 50%)  from back in the day when you could do that sort of thing.  I'm not sure if they're still doing that, but this is from a mighty fine barrel from which I've enjoyed a couple bottles.  I believe this is my last.

Cracked open a bottle of Dry Fly Cask Strength Wheat Whiskey (120 proof). It's a 100% wheat mashbill. I've had the 80 proof version and it was okay.  I was hoping this 120 proof one would be better, and it is, but it's still one dimensional. I guess at 100% wheat I shouldn't be surprised. Still a nice pour, but I like PHC Wheat and even Bernheim 7yr better because it's got some corn and barley in the mashbill.

Edited by silverc

Saturday morning tradition at the gym continued at the gym today as we popped open a bottle of Charter 101 I picked up last night. Nothing too fancy or special but hit the spot before the workout. 

5 hours ago, Hop said:

1792 Full Proof - stay away from this one - nothing to see here...

These are not the 'droids we're after......

First taste of AAA10*.  Solid for the price point.  Doesnt blow your socks off, but its tasty.  Makes me wonder how good the 10 year was.

My first bottle of HHBIB 6YR. Nice. Drove through KY yesterday. ..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I also opened a bottle of HH6BIB this evening. Allergies are getting the best of me and wanted something cheap and good to try and help get rid of this crap. So far…..no luck.

On 7/9/2016 at 6:15 PM, PappyStagg said:

Saturday morning tradition at the gym continued at the gym today as we popped open a bottle of Charter 101 I picked up last night. Nothing too fancy or special but hit the spot before the workout. 

BEFORE the workout?  Interesting tradition.

BEFORE the workout?  Interesting tradition.

I was thinking the same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.