Which seven under $50 bourbons do you have backups of?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There are some of my favorites, like Booker's, Pikesville 110,KCSB, WT101, HMcK10 and others where I don't bother keeping backups because they are always available and very consistent. We'd all keep backups of Van Winkle if we could. And I know some have bunkers with backups of everything, but what are 7 of your bourbons that you keep for value, fear they will disappear or other interesting reasons? (I figure if we go beyond 7, it's a lot of typing/reading.) I currently have backups of these:

1 open (5) backups of ECBP. It took me a long time (>1 year) to find my first bottle, and then I found some in bunches over the last year and built up a stock. One of my favorites.

0 (4) Baby Saz. This is a favorite and a local county ABC got a bunch in at $30 per bottle. Figured to stock up at a fair retail price.

0 (4) Eagle Rare. This is always available at $35-40, but the county ABC has it for $25 and every few months on sale at $22. I usually try to grab two bottles during those sales to keep them on hand for myself or as gifts.

1 (4) ETL. Hard to find. I've paid $35 and up to $43, but had to grab it when it was on the shelf. 

0 (2)  CEHT SmB. It's pricey around me at $50-55, but I grabbed two in New Orleans for $35 apiece when I visited in March.

1 (2) Stagg Jr. batch 4. I've tried batches 3-5 and I love this batch. I'll continue to pick one up every time I see it until I taste a batch that's better. Haven't seen one on a shelf since March, also in NoLa, where I brought one home.

1 (5) OWA. Hard to find. Had three regular ones and then an SB member tipped me to a store with a barrel pick, so I grabbed three more. Paid between $19-30, with the store pick on the high end. I see them around every so often at $38-50, but I've managed to not pay that, and won't now that I'm stocked up for a while.

Those are mine. What are yours?

Edited by Charlutz

I'm lazy so I don't consider them "backups" - they are multiples so I only have to go to the closet to replace an empty instead of get in the car and drive someplace.

VOB BIB shows up in fits and starts around here, so I buy multiples of it in fits and starts.

Ditto BT basic although lately it's been around so my backups are down to two - a handle and a 750.

OWA if I see it under $30 (which I haven't lately and I missed the Montgomery County offerings in May(?) due to travel).

OGD BIB just because.  And at least one unopened WT 101 at all times (thanks, Paul).

Though I don't have the tenure and experience that many here do, I did see the writing on the wall fairly early in my enthusiast years so I stocked up on the following when I still had the chance:

Weller 12

OWA

ETL (not as much a fan as I used to be but I got them at the old retail price so it's still a good value for the price)

ECBP (turns out we get a lot of this in WA State so stocking up was unnecessary, but I'm happy to have them in case our lucks turns one day)

4R Private Selection Barrels, all recipes

Parker's Heritage POH. It wasn't a favorite compared to releases that preceded it. Worked out for me because I love it.

EC12

ER10 store select barrels

KCSB store select barrels

I keep the following in my bunker due to them being hard to get in Minnesota.

1- 1.75 EC12

3- EC12

1- ECBP

4- OWA

3- ETL

1- Weller 12

1- CEHT SB

1- CEHT small batch

I keep backups of:

Four Roses PS.  Because Four Roses.

Larceny.  It's not available in Maryland so I buy them a couple at a time in VA.

Any store selection that I try and really like.  See above regarding Four Roses.

EWSB.  Any barrel/vintage that I try and like.  I can usually get them on sale for about $23, and they don't seem to last long when they are open.

Stagg Jr.  One of the few BT products I try to keep a couple of.

I have been meaning to stock up on Pikesville Rye 6yr.  I'll grab a couple next time I see them on sale.

HW MWND.  J/K I always express high minded ideals about only buying one a year and then spend the rest of the following year kicking myself for not buying 2-3 of them.

I used to buy Old Forester Signature in pairs, but that has since become readily available.  I should probably investigate their special edition products at some point.  The dated ones I mean.  I have long since given up on OFBB.

Edited by garbanzobean

Here's my take on this question, with a bit of explanation, and a couple honorable mentions thrown in....

While my preferences have evolved (devolved?) over time, and will no doubt continue to do so, the following (in no particular order) are ones I currently seek to keep on the shelf and reach for regularly:

Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 year

Elijah Craig 12 year

Henry McKenna BIB Single Barrel 10 year

Old Grand Dad 114

Old Weller Antique 107

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

1792 Full Proof (New to the faves list)

A couple Honorable mentions:

Knob Creek 120 (just does squeak in under $50 in my area)

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage offerings (while under-powered, they are still in my wheelhouse... I wish they'd offer this at about 107-pr.)

Other than KC 120, these are all well under $50 around SE Michigan.    A few others that used to qualify, no longer do for price reasons, and the profiles of a few may likely change going forward due to scarcity of aged stock (EC12), and therefor may drop from this list.

For me it's things that get hard to find on occasion (which I may be causing), and things not available in NC

• ETL
  • OWA
  • W12
  • Old Fitz
  • EC12 when it lost the age statement
  • HH6BIB
  • BT - mainly due to finding a deal on a barrel selection and it being below $20
  • JJ Bowman
  • Blanton's
  • RHF
  • 1792 barrel selections that I really liked
  • OE101
  • Charter 101
  • ECBP
  • Stagg Jr
  • VSOF
  • Hancocks Reserve
  • RRSB again due to a barrel selection I really liked
  • 4R Barrel Selects from when I used to find them below $50...

let's see...

2 (10) EC12 - stocked up once they went NAS

0 (6) OWA

1 (3) W12

1 (4) ER10 - got a couple private select bottles and has been somewhat harder to find

0 (2) CEHT SmB - this one has been hitting the spot for me right now so I bought an extra

0 (4) ETL

1 (2) 1792 Binny's select - this one I really liked so I picked up some spares

I've got a few others bunkered up too, but these were within the specs of OP.

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage offerings (while under-powered, they are still in my wheelhouse... I wish they'd offer this at about 107-pr.)

I don't want to derail the thread, but this is a great idea. Even better, what if HH released an Evan Williams Barrel Proof, even if only once or twice a year? I bet an 8 year barrel proof would fly of the shelves.

To answer the question:

ER10 — at least in my experience these show up sporadically so I like to have one or two in reserve.
EC12 — grabbed several when it seemed pretty clear these were going to lose the age statement.
McKenna 10 year — a personal favorite.

And, not a bourbon, but SAOS rye — I grabbed a few of the 8 year barrel proof at $40 (looking back I wish I had cleared the shelf at that price) and have added a few 7 years as well.

KC 100 and 120 proof

EC12

OGDBIB

Stagg Jr

HHBIB

OWA

SAOS 10 year and barrel proof

I have a lot more than 7 under $50 with backups.  I tried to narrow it down to just 7 but 9 is as close as I can get it.

1792 Port Finish

Baker's 7 Year

Booker's

Elijah Craig 12 Yr

Elmer T Lee

Four Roses Single Barrel

Henry McKenna Single Barrel

Knob Creek Single Barrel

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Other than private picks I was fortunate enough to have participate in (some ETL, KCSB, and WTRRSmBSB - all under $50), the ones I have one or more in the bunker include:

1792 (local store single barrel that was 9.5 yrs old; a steal at $23!)
ECBP (first batch - snagged what I could at $40)
Lot 40 (1990s variety)
W12 (fully admit to being struck by the panic in early 2014, and stocked up)
WTR101 (wish I had more than one solitary back-up of this one - picked them up right after they discontinued it back in 2013)

The Lot 40 and WTR101 were "dusty" when I found them in the wild, and the ECBP was just insanely underpriced when first released.  I honestly would have bunkered more of the 1792 pick, but the GBS was talking about maybe doing a 1792 pick (which we did - coming soon!) so I didn't go crazy there.  

I'm now in the process of trying to hold back on acquisitions to align with consumption, so other than private picks and some special bottles, probably not adding more in this category.  

21 minutes ago, darylld911 said:

W12 (fully admit to being struck by the panic in early 2014, and stocked up)
WTR101 (wish I had more than one solitary back-up of this one - picked them up right after they discontinued it back in 2013)

Nothing to 'admit' re the W12. I've been looking for it since I started in this hobby/obsession in 2011 and never found a bottle. Wish I had but I must be doing it wrong. As for the WTR101, that would have been my 8th. I found a couple 1L bottles on the shelf here in MD and grabbed them based on forum buzz. Trying to kill a few bottles but dying to crack one open and try it. 

Off the top of my head:

Weller Centennial

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 year

IW Harper 15 year 

ETL

OWA

Weller Special Reserve

Wild Turkey 12 both Classic gold label and split label

Wild Turkey KY Spirit

Eagle Rare 101

Eagle Rare

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve

Four Roses Single Barrel

Old Fitzgerald BIB

ORVW 10 

All these were under $50 when purchased most well under.  Most were purchased when bourbon was not an item for the general public.  I went on a hell of a buying spree about a decade ago.

Edited by Special Reserve

Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare
Knob Creek
Knob Creek Single Barrel
Baker's 
EH Taylor Small Batch
Evan Williams 
Angel's Envy

If I could find Eh Taylor Single Barrel or Barrel Proof here in MD, that would probably be on my list too.

Buffalo Trace

Eagle Rare

Knob Creek

Knob Creek Single Barrel

Baker's 

EH Taylor Small Batch

Evan Williams 

Angel's Envy

If I could find Eh Taylor Single Barrel or Barrel Proof here in MD, that would probably be on my list too.

Not sure you would find the single barrel or barrel proof for under 50.....if you do, snag me a bottle!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hah! Just realized I screwed up by mentioning Parker's Heritage POH above because it doesn't meet the under $50 criteria. Whoops. Sorry about that.

It's obviously a little harder (and a little more expensive) in the UK to keep backups of most things, but over the years I've slowly amassed a few of the following:

Henry McKenna SB

Elmer T Lee

Weller 12

Elijah Craig 12

Buffalo Trace

Knob Creek 

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Baker's

9 hours ago, beasled said:

It's obviously a little harder (and a little more expensive) in the UK to keep backups of most things, but over the years I've slowly amassed a few of the following:

Henry McKenna SB

Elmer T Lee

Weller 12

Elijah Craig 12

Buffalo Trace

Knob Creek 

Wild Turkey 101

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Baker's

Cheerio Lad!!!

I have

Larceny

EC12

Booker's

HH6BIB

EWBIB

4RSB

HWDR

Is weird, but I think that's all of them, and it adds up to seven...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.