Which seven under $50 bourbons do you have backups of?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Only 6 at the moment:

OWA, RHF, and ETL  

OF BiB, 1792 RR (8 yr AS) and EC12 in handles 

W12 and VSOF top the want list if they ever materialize again in my lifetime, and at reasonable pricing - I flat refuse to reward a gouger, no matter how bad I'm Jones'n for 'em.

WLW, OWA and 10  375 bottles of Blantons that VABC had for $25.  Weird that they had the 750s priced at $57! 

If ETL and ECBP were under $50 I'd stock on those but they tend to be double that. I don't stock any BT products mostly because I can't find any. Except for BT @$25 and ER @ $40.  

So for under $50 I just stock up on whatever is on sale.  When KC went to the screw cap and then back to cork they blew out the cap versions for $20 + 10% off per case so I snagged a few cases. WT goes on sale for $13 so again I snag a couple cases. OGD114 was on clearance for $20 so I bought all 4.  Eveything else I don't bother buying back ups since they are commonly available. 

13 hours ago, $helby said:

WLW, OWA and 10  375 bottles of Blantons that VABC had for $25.  Weird that they had the 750s priced at $57! 

It's where I buy most of my Blanton's as well...

OGDBIB Orange Caps

W12

OFSig

FRSiB  sale priced

ETL

Old Ezra 101 7YO

OGD114

Henry McKenna SB BIB

ER10

Weller SR

Elijah Craig 12

Wild Turkey 101

Maker's 46

Larceny

• 1 year later...
On 2016-07-13 at 6:22 PM, GaryT said:

Other than private picks I was fortunate enough to have participate in (some ETL, KCSB, and WTRRSmBSB - all under $50), the ones I have one or more in the bunker include:

1792 (local store single barrel that was 9.5 yrs old; a steal at $23!)
ECBP (first batch - snagged what I could at $40)
Lot 40 (1990s variety)
W12 (fully admit to being struck by the panic in early 2014, and stocked up)
WTR101 (wish I had more than one solitary back-up of this one - picked them up right after they discontinued it back in 2013)

The Lot 40 and WTR101 were "dusty" when I found them in the wild, and the ECBP was just insanely underpriced when first released.  I honestly would have bunkered more of the 1792 pick, but the GBS was talking about maybe doing a 1792 pick (which we did - coming soon!) so I didn't go crazy there.  

I'm now in the process of trying to hold back on acquisitions to align with consumption, so other than private picks and some special bottles, probably not adding more in this category.  

Hi just wondering where you purchased the Lot 40 (1990's release)?

OWA, ER, ETL(Comm), ORVW(all mine are <$50), McKenna BiB, and WT RRSB - just over $50

Also, Laphroaig 10, Ardbeg 10 for Islay and Real McCoy 12 LE for rum.

I have a fair number of backups, but they tend to be pricier than $50.  The under 50's that I'm glad I had the foresight to buy in multiples are Weller 12 and Old Weller 107 Antique.  As recently as 2014 I could have those two shipped to me from Specs in Houston.  They were right there on their website; order as many as you want; both mid-20's.

Time to update, I guess.  Like Paddy in July 2016, I started picking up doubles of BIBs when I only need one so I always have multiples of VOB BIB (still spottily available so still spottily purchased) and OGD BIB (just so I don't have to go to the store all the time).  Most of my bunkered Bookers were under $50 (barely) so I don't buy Bookers at all now.  I've added JB BIB to the "keep a spare or three" list.  BT has been available most of the time for over a year now, so while I keep one or two in the bunker, I don't sweat it when I'm down to zero in there.  I have one unopened EC 12 yr in there; it will not be replaced.

EC12--I also have NAS for current consumption. Saving the 12Y0 for????

BT--once readily available, now I buy it when I see it

Stagg Jr--impossible to find in OH so I stock up when we travel

Booker's--got scared by rumors of $99 so bought more at half price

AAA10YO--Just a couple left. Sometimes rumors turn out to be true

VOB6YO--Well, not really. Got impatient and drank them all

KC9YO--Saw one in MT recently for $40+. Have a couple left and some NAS. So far Beam is doing a decent job of matching the profile.

Regrets, I've had few, but still too few to mention:

ETL--Wish I had bought more back when only SBers knew about it. Use to sit on the shelves and seemed readily available. Sigh. OWA also fits in this category. I have one unopened bottle of Blanton's--which is starting to make me nervous.

There is only one bourbon under $50.00 that I have a back up of, and that is the CEHT SmB.  There are 4 stores near me that have good enough inventory to make it easy to find almost anything else at decent to good prices.  

These are the ones I currently have lots of backups of due to scarcity or fear of running out.

Weller 12  (I will buy as many bottles as I can whenever I see this available - which has been a LOT less as of late)

Stagg Jr. 

Rebel Yell 10 year (really liked the first batch and bought a case.  Haven't tried batch 2 yet, but I bought a few bottles because I liked batch 1 so much)

Blantons (getting harder to find, so I will normally buy a couple when I see them)

1792 Full Proof (really enjoying this lately, and have been able to pick up some good single barrel selections from some stores around me)

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Single Barrel 

Old Weller Antique

Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond (quality pour at a ridiculously low price - Have been fairly easy to find near me in the last couple of years)

OWA..at least 12

WSR..4 or 5

Stagg Jr..4 or 5..I've mostly stopped bunkering this as a store I frequent has had it on the shelf at $43.75 for the last year now.

ER10..I'm down to 2 or 3 and I've stopped bunkering given recent availability. I'll just wait till I'm out and pick up another.

ETL..5

ECBP..5 (1 batch 11, 2 batch 12, 2 A117) Have 2 or 3 EC12ASOB also.

OGD114..4..I was bitten by the "it's gone forever" bug

I have one open bottle and 1 full bottle of W12. I would bunker it if I could find it.

There are a few more I have at least a couple of.

Edit..Just noticed that it was under $50. The ECBP doesn't qualify. They were all $60+.

Edited by Clueby

Backups of under $50 bourbons? Check. I have backups of pretty much everything that meets that criteria. (That I like).

BT, ER10, Stagg Jr. (back when it was 49.99), ETL, Rock Hill Farm, Hancock's, Sazerac Rye, OWA, Weller 12, ORVW10 - check. (Zero Taylor SmB's - I gave up on it).

HH6BIB, EC12 and NAS, EC Single Barrel private picks, HMcK, ECBP (back when it was 49.99), RY10 (before price increase), Pikesville 110 - check.

WT101, WTRB, RR10yr - check

4RSmB, 4RSiB - check

OFSiB - check

KC9yr, KCSiB (so many), OGDBIB, OGD114 - check

1792 SW, 1792 HR, 1792 FP - check

I probably forgot some. I may have a problem.

AA10yr (thanks G!)

W12

ETL Comm

HPR pick

Stagg Jr

OWA

pre-hysteria WFR 7yr

Northern Harvest Rye

CR "Hand Select" (in quotes because BS)

Louisville Old Charter 8s and 10s

KC120 picks

Pikesville

Baby Saz

Some early 4R selects, but the bulk of mine were bought after they went north of 50.

SAOS 11yr picks

Rittenhouse 354

Edited by The Black Tot

17 hours ago, FrankC said:

Hi just wondering where you purchased the Lot 40 (1990's release)?

Dusty hunting in the south :)

I don't have too many bourbons that I have backups of, but of the ones I have open that meet the criteria, here are the ones that have backups.

Eagle Rare-2 backups

Weller 12-6 backups

ETL-2 backups

Rebel Yell 10-1 backup

1792 Full Proof Store Pick-1 backup 

I had a backup to my Henry McKenna 10, but I opened it after finishing off my previous bottle a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by NDN98

WSR

OWA

EC (12 aged stated on back)

OGD 114

KC SiB 

I don't have seven under $50 bunkered since I really only got into bourbon the first of this year.  I've got around 60 bottles but just haven't started picking up back ups much.

7 under $50.  hmmmm.

1.  SAOS single barrels (10, 11, & store picks).

2.  OWA.

3.  1792.  backups of every variation.

4.  ETL.

5.  ER10

6.  Blanton's (purchased several for 47.99-49.99 over the last few years)

7.  EC 12 AS

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

image.thumb.jpg.49570691b8eab60b2642514051ebe317.jpgECBPIMG_2073.thumb.JPG.cdc5c23830fc16da31dc7aa312d6e227.JPG

Weller 12y 

EWSB  (various years)

SAOS SB and 7ys

No wonder I can't find any ECBP or W12!

11 minutes ago, Clueby said:

No wonder I can't find any ECBP or W12!

^^^^Well, those Weller 12's were only 12 to a case, so it's not really hoarding!  :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.