Has anyone tried the Four Roses small batch?

whiskey buyer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am considering carrying the Four Roses small batch in our store. We already have the single barrel and the lower end four roses bourbon. So I am wondering if anyone has tried the small batch, and if so how does it compare to the single barrel?

Would this be a good addition to our shelf?

I'll tell you the conventional wisdom, and then I'll tell you my opinion.  Conventional wisdom is that Small Batch is good to very good whiskey, reasonably priced at around $30 or less, and fills a gap between the more premium Single Barrel, and the budget Yellow Label.

My opinion is that I am not a fan of the Small Batch.  It always tasted very "flowery" to me, and just did not have anything that caused me to reach for it over similarly-priced bourbons such as OWA and W12, EWSB, EC12, CEHTSmB and ER10, amongst others.    In contrast, FRSB is my stand-by, my standard-bearer, and just a staple for me.  FRSB is always terrific, and I was fortunate to have stocked up on some great barrels when it was around $30 in my area (now closer to $40).

In answer to your question, in terms of running and stocking a liquor store, I can't see how stocking FRSmB can be a bad thing.  I would think that it would sell well.  Good luck.

Edited by jeffrey r

I have never purchased Small Batch for myself, but, have given it as a gift.

However, over the years, I have purchased many bottles of the regular FR Yellow Label and FR Single Barrel for personal consumption.  The Small Batch does not

trip my trigger because I don't consider it a good value compared to the other 2.  No complaints from neighbors, friends and family.

I think Four Roses Small Batch is a sit and think kind of bourbon.  It's really a lovely and very complex whiskey, but its charms are less apparent than Yellow Label or Single Barrel.  I rarely buy it and a bottle lasts a long time, but I always enjoy it when I have time to properly taste it.

I'm detecting a theme here. . . I too enjoy FR single barrel (remains a top 5 favorite readily available bourbon for me) and I think Yellow Label is a great "lower shelf" bourbon (though not quite the price value here in Michigan that it used to be). I detect a similar "floral" note jeffrey r mentions and I also find the spicy element a little astringent. However, the price point and quality are such that, here in Michigan, I think a liquor store would definitely want to keep some small batch available on the shelf.  Further, the small batch represents a different unique blending of the various FR recipes providing an interesting counterpoint between the Yellow Label and Single Barrel for those interested in exploring those differences.  Additionally, the small batch limited editions are very popular and noteworthy and I would think that there would be a decent portion of bourbon consumers that would like to taste the regular bottling of that line, even if (or maybe even more because) they can't get their hands on the Limited Editions.

All in all, although it isn't a favorite of mine, I would keep some on the shelf.

All opinions of how Small Batch tastes compared to others aside (disclosure: I really like it), I've never known a liquor store to have a problem selling it. In fact, there's usually only a couple on the shelf compared to larger quantities of Single Barrel. (In my experience here in WA State). I too like Single Barrel more but it comes at a higher price point so Small Batch might move more around here.

The small batch should sell as well as the single barrel. It is $10 cheaper, and has an attractive bottle

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I initially didn't care for it, but I'm warming up to it lately

While I do prefer FRSB,  I enjoy the FR small batch very much. I'm able to purchase it for $24.95 at local Sam's club.

Not too excited about  buying the yellow label again.  But, that's just me.

My two cents...

...If I owned a liquor store, I'd have to have all three Four Roses brands on my shelves.  They deserve the space and they are all very good at tickling the sweet spot they were derived for.  Top to bottom, best value and diversity in the bourbon world... all to be had in just three shelf slots in your store!   

Yeah, I agree with the others.  I thought the Small Batch would be less intricate than the Single Barrel, but I was wrong (to my tastes).  The small batch is unique and I can see why it might be off-putting for the majority of the population.  Very flowery, woody, organic material notes.  Much less dominant in the sweet/carmel/vanilla notes typical of bourbon.  That said, it just wasn't something that I've felt compelled to buy again.

I've never had the yellow label but to be honest, that'd probably be the first one I'd grab out of the "large jug/plastic jug" brands.  The single barrel for $35 is just a great deal.  Quality wise, I like single barrel a lot more than many others at the $35 range that people seem to rave about.  

Half-kidding, half-serious though...the real trick would be to carry the "store selections" (opposite end of the price spectrum).  I've been lucky to find a 12 year old OESO and a 9 year usual OBSV and both were just awesome.  I liked the OBSV over the OESO (oddly enough) but to have a somewhat available barrel-proof bourbon of that caliber is fantastic.  Might not get the craze that the BTAC/HH offerings do, but the quality is right up there IMO.

Edited by fenderbender4

When I did the FR tour recently, as we were doing the tasting of the 3 offerings, he said that women typically prefer the small batch.

You may want to make sure you have the small batch to satisfy your female customers.

Depends on the pricing. Here it's not even $5 less than the single barrel so it sits on the shelf. It's an interesting bourbon but I don't think many people seek it out. 

Thank you all for your replies,  I have ordered some of the small batch, and will have it on the shelf this week. I strongly suspect that a bottle will eventually make it to my house for my on assessment of the product.

I really want to try the FRSB, but it is just a little too pricy at time for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:06 AM, WhereIsMyOldAccount said:

Depends on the pricing. Here it's not even $5 less than the single barrel so it sits on the shelf. It's an interesting bourbon but I don't think many people seek it out. 

There is close to a 10 dollar difference in the price here. We have already sold one bottle of the small batch.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.