Total wine: Winchester Rye

b1gcountry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I picked up a 50ml of Winchester Rye one time while I was at a local total wine store. I believe it is their store brand. I took a vacation to Tennessee last week, and decided to bring a few of my 50ml bottles along for the ride, and this one came with. The bottle was either $1.99 or $.99. I can't remember. The 750ml were somewhere around $20.

My initial reaction was that it smelled pretty good. Lots of Rye. It reminded me (a little) of a 95% MGP from the nose. First taste, and I immediately thought of CRNHR. It had that same young Rye flavor, just without some of the bananas foster taste.

It tasted very young. Very little complexity or depth, but I liked it, and I was pleasantly surprised with it. If you like northern harvest Rye, this will probably tickle your fancy. If you like HW double Rye, also give this a try. It is 90 proof.

The bottle lists SC on the label, and it is produced by Terressentia. I've never heard of them before.

OK I looked them up. Not horrible. I read the age statement too. Aged at least 6 months. ..

Still, it wasn't bad, and a quick sbs with crnhr confirmed my opinion of the similarities. The double rye is totally better in every way though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I just picked up a 50ml of Copper Pony at Total Wine. Also listed as TerrePure, so it's probably just another label of the same stuff. Agree that it's young tasting, but not bad. I think it helps that the works ok at younger ages compared to bourbon (I find at least), and the whole "ultrasonic filtering" thing is just pulling out some less desirable flavorants that normally age out in the barrel through oxidation. 

30 minutes ago, Darwin said:

TW&M talked me into buying Darby's Reserve rye from South Carolina, it was God awful!  The only bottle of spirits I have ever returned.  :wacko:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/17/407064152/south-carolina-distiller-promises-to-make-kentucky-liquor-quicker

Everything I have tasted from that place was utter trash.

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Everything I have tasted from that place was utter trash.

They are on my permanent ban list, and I will no longer trust a wine & spirits salesperson.  Now it's fun to test their knowledge and measure their levels of BS.  :P

I also tried a mini of Copper Pony on a trip, and was unimpressed.  I didn't take detailed notes, but it was squarely in the camp of "sh!t I won't buy" (like OO, or WTR81).  The type of whiskey where I was incredibly thankful they bottled it in minis so I wouldn't have had to dump so much of a bottle!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.