Willett (distilled by them) Single Barrel Rye

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up a bottle of Willett Single Barrel Rye (109 proof) for $40 at Spec's today. The label says it was distilled by them. I haven't had any of their own rye yet (just the MGP stuff..which was very good). Anyone else had the single barrel yet? I know there was a 2 year old released but I don't believe it was a single barrel.

What's the age statement on it?

They currently have a 2-year and 3-year old rye out, with the 4-year coming.

As far as I know, this younger distillate is not from MGP, but in fact from Willett.

Cheers,

RC

They should have some 4-year-old barrels of rye by now, though they may be holding them back for a more prominent release. I bought a bottle of the 2-year-old in June of 2014 and I thought it was quite good for such a young whiskey.

This is the 3 year old. It is good..but I was expecting less of the piney-ness I get in MGP. I like the piney-ness but was hoping it would taste different than the MGP. Still a decent deal for these days and times.

Thanks for your input! If I see one again, I'll grab it.

3-year and 2-year Rye is a blend of 2 mash bills as following:

1.  74 Rye, 11 Corn, 15 Malt Barley

2.  51 Rye, 34, Corn, 15 Malt Barley

They state there's more of the high-rye mash bill in it, but do not give percentages. 

Huge contrast in the amount of malted barley compared to the 5% used in MGP's distillate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.