Old Bardstown BIB - distilled by Willett!

amg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw that Sku posted a TTB label today on Twitter for a new Old Bardstown BIB distilled by Willett. Nice to see them putting their own distillate in a lower shelf brand. I'll seek it out if the price is right.

59 minutes ago, amg said:

I saw that Sku posted a TTB label today on Twitter for a new Old Bardstown BIB distilled by Willett. Nice to see them putting their own distillate in a lower shelf brand. I'll seek it out if the price is right.

Yeah; I saw that too.    And, I too, am interested in trying it out.   Old Bardstown has been a decent offering, albeit not a bargain; but I really do want to see how there own distillate compares.    I hope it shines as well as some of their young ryes have done.    Hopefully we'll be able to find a bottle to taste, eh?

I thought the 90 and the 101 proof sourced Old Bardstown were both pretty awful, not something I'd purchase again.  As to their own make, I have no idea.

Old time Bardstown residents told me the Old Bardstown brand was fairly well thought of in it's day.  This modern version is made at the same place on the same still by, I believe, the same recipe so positive signs are there.

On July 28, 2016 at 9:11 PM, squire said:

Old time Bardstown residents told me the Old Bardstown brand was fairly well thought of in it's day.  This modern version is made at the same place on the same still by, I believe, the same recipe so positive signs are there.

Yep, I'm optimistic. If nothing else this is a chance to try some properly aged Willett distillate without having to fight the idiots for pretty WFE bottles.

9 hours ago, amg said:

Yep, I'm optimistic. If nothing else this is a chance to try some properly aged Willett distillate without having to fight the idiots for pretty WFE bottles.

You may be taking a leap about the fight for the bottles.   I hope not; because I'm with you on the chance afforded those who can pick up a bottle.   I have more than a little good hope for a quality, decently aged product from Willett's still.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:11 PM, squire said:

Is Willett still using the same stills from thirty or forty some years ago? I thought (and it appeared from the tour) that the stills in the new distillery were all new ones.

Although as I recall the main column still is off to the side of the distillery and not on the tour itself so it is hard to see up close. So I suppose it could be the old still that has been refurbished.

• 3 months later...

I gave this a whirl this evening (two whirls actually, off a freshly cracked bottle).  The mashbill is supposedly 72/13/15, which makes it somewhat unique in that it has more malted barley than rye.   

Nose: Pleasant surprise; nice, light aroma of caramel drizzled vanilla right out of the gate.  Nothing harsh or abrasive here.  

Taste: As expected; somewhat thin, yet I'm surprised to find it silky on the tongue; a bit of spice, fresh cut grass, raw nuts(?), and skillet fried corn. 

Finish: no more than moderate in length of delivery; cinnamon, clove, and light pepper spice intermingle with a bit of dry wood.

Impression:  On par with the HH BIB's (but at nearly 2x the cost), this is still worth a go.  Why?  I appreciate the distillers time and effort, and the unique mashbill seems to provide some character of 'house style' to this adolescent BIB

Although a fledgling still trying to find its stride, this is easy drinking.  No water required!         

I tried the non BIB 90 proof version that is Willett distilled and it was big miss for me. I would not buy it again. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.