4R single barrel store pick?????

smthgfshy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently picked up a store pick 4 roses single barrel. (It's not a private selection, bottled at barrel strength.) I'm familiar with their private selection program, but have never seen, nor heard anything about a store pick single barrel. This bottle is 100 proof, OBSV receipe, says single barrel on the label, makes no indication of private selection, and is aged 7y & 11m, Sept. 2014. What's going on here? Any insight much appreciated!!

Hmmmm, that's a new one on me.    Anybody else run across a bottle picked this way?      

Is it labeled with the stores imprimatur?    ...Or some chain of stores?

1 hour ago, smthgfshy said:

I recently picked up a store pick 4 roses single barrel. (It's not a private selection, bottled at barrel strength.) I'm familiar with their private selection program, but have never seen, nor heard anything about a store pick single barrel. This bottle is 100 proof, OBSV receipe, says single barrel on the label, makes no indication of private selection, and is aged 7y & 11m, Sept. 2014. What's going on here? Any insight much appreciated!!

In the past they were not unusual.  The store picks a barrel (I've seen it done only with OBSV), Four Roses dilutes and bottles it at 100 pf, and ships it with the store's logo on the label.  Ace Spirits had one last year.  I have a The Party Source one from two years ago.  It was 8 years 4 months and the label says 'non-chill filtered.'  At one time Four Roses discontinued this 100 pf single barrel program.  I don't know if they have started it again or if your bottle is from the prior era.

55 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmmm, that's a new one on me.    Anybody else run across a bottle picked this way?      

Is it labeled with the stores imprimatur?    ...Or some chain of stores?

This used to be a fairly commonplace thing.  A store near me used to do it regularly to get a discount on the price of FRSB.  They could sell it for $30ish and have their label on it.  I have a bottle of it open right now, actually.  Its from 2-3 years ago.

As far as I know, this aspect of Four Roses' private selection program is discontinued.  The aforementioned store has been doing random recipes of FRPS sporadically this year, instead.

I see these four roses all over by me. The store owners at a couple of the stores I kick it with, tell me they get sample bottles and choose one. I've tryed 3 different ones and 2 were good, not great and the other 1 was too floral to my palets. I still think staight up four roses single barrels are just fine for me, the masters at four roses are making the decisions, not some store owner putting his store on the bottle.

Standard 4RSB private selections are pretty common around here.  I've got a whole cabinet full of them, 'cause when I find a good barrel...:D

17 hours ago, Paddy said:

Standard 4RSB private selections are pretty common around here.  I've got a whole cabinet full of them, 'cause when I find a good barrel...:D

Ditto. TPS did lots of them, and I have lots of them :)

That's interesting.  Never seen one in MN.  I did buy a Store Pick bottle (even though it was the OBSV) because it is barrel strength, and to be honest, I liked it better than another store's selection that was 3 years older (although an OESO).

I've seen it and polished off a bottle not too long ago.   It was a struggle since it was not nearly as tasty as any of the BP Private Selections I've had.  Personally would not buy again.

These were fairly common until 4R suspended the program (2014??) now the SB on local shelves is all standard SB. I don't know if thinning supply or some other motivation drove the switch. I have numerous local store picks and numerous "standard" factory issue SBs all from a variety of warehouses. I anticipate years of enjoyment comparing contrasting the store picks with the regular, of course they are all OBSV 100p.  It was fun to shop around and pick up different store selections, often they were also a couple bucks cheaper. Sounds like there are still some on shelves in some locations and once that stock is sold everything everywhere will be standard issue 4RSB, not a bad thing but it was cool to have that additional variable in the mix.

I don't think they suspended the SB program, I thought they just changed the "rules" a bit. For example, to do a pick you must physically go to the distillery rather than them shipping samples.

^^^Yes, I've seen standard PS bottlings as recent as May of this year (and they were on the shelf until just a week or so ago:ph34r:).

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^Yes, I've seen standard PS bottlings as recent as May of this year (and they were on the shelf until just a week or so ago:ph34r:).

And you keep finding honey barrels at that. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.