SAOS Single Barrel Proof

b1gcountry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just saw a 45.3% SAOS10 SB BP. Is this standard for their single barrels? There normal 10yr is 50%. Does this mean they draw from different barrels to get the single barrels?

I don't have any experience with barrel strength bourbon at this proof. Any comments? I almost bought it, but I picked up a Redbreast12 instead.

The proof on the SAOS single barrels can vary widely. I have one from Total Wine that is 87 proof and another from a different barrel that is 121 proof. Most tend to be 100-115 proof though. I think some of the lower proof barrel strength ones can be very nice, but so can the higher proof ones. It really depends more on the barrel than the proof in my experience. The SAOS bottles I've had were all good, but some were outstanding and it didn't correlate with proof. None of them have been bad, so if you go back to that store in the future, it probably wouldn't hurt to pick it up if it's still available.

I've got a 109.6 and a 117.4.  I would be pretty interested in a barrel proof below 100.

Does anyone know if the stores pick the single barrels, or is it random? This store isn't the one I would trust to pick a good barrel.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I just saw a 45.3% SAOS10 SB BP. Is this standard for their single barrels? There normal 10yr is 50%. Does this mean they draw from different barrels to get the single barrels?

I don't have any experience with barrel strength bourbon at this proof. Any comments? I almost bought it, but I picked up a Redbreast12 instead.

The very definition of single barrel requires that they draw from different barrels. As for the low proof, it's not common to see single barrel barrel proofs at that proof. Most people are looking for extremely high proofs with their barrel proofs. It is possible to get those low proofs however if the barrel entry proof is lower to begin with and/or the barrel is stored on the ground floor of the rickhouse where losing proof is common due to condensate being sucked into the barrel.

1 minute ago, b1gcountry said:

Does anyone know if the stores pick the single barrels, or is it random? This store isn't the one I would trust to pick a good barrel.

They generally do yes.

Flahute,

What I meant was that if there normal saos 10 is 99proof, then this 90proof barrel strength must be from a different set of barrels. They could not have used this stuff in the regular saos 10 without adding a bunch of higher proof barrels.

It does make me think that the regular saos 10 must be pretty close to bp.

This was the exact same price as the regular 10 btw. Although it is pretty high at this store.

The Minneapolis area has seen several single barrels come through all between 10-11 years old at barrel proofs ranging from 45-48%.  Not sure what is going on, but perhaps their barrels don't increase much in proof in West Virginia?

I have a SAOS 10YR SB that is 98.4 proof and it is good.  I have yet to try anything from them that is bad.  The 7 and 10 YR are great and the barrel aged Gin is good.  I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a bottle of their rum.

20 minutes ago, Jazz Nut said:

The Minneapolis area has seen several single barrels come through all between 10-11 years old at barrel proofs ranging from 45-48%.  Not sure what is going on, but perhaps their barrels don't increase much in proof in West Virginia?

Isn't this MGP/LDI distillate from Indiana?

And with age, I thought proof normally increased (water molecules work out of barrel easier than alcohol).

Wonder if there's something different about the warehouse Seagram's built.

I can't remember where I read it (I think it was on SB somewhere), but I believe MGP uses a couple different barrel entry proofs, one of which is around 100 and is the reason why some of the barrels end up with such a low proof out of the barrel.

46 minutes ago, rcornel said:

And with age, I thought proof normally increased (water molecules work out of barrel easier than alcohol).

I  was thinking that the MGP/LDI distillate was aging in the Smooth Ambler rickhouses (which I thought were in WV), perhaps I'm wrong.

And yes with age, you would expect the proof to rise.  But there have been at least 4 barrels released in the Minneapolis area with proofs below 100.  They are pretty good though.

I'd much rather have a BP 95-100 proofer, than a blended/cut 95-100 proofer.  I find them to be full and richly flavored.  I'd give that one a go and stock up if it's good! 

Just anecdotally, I've noticed the bottles from SAOS that are 10 or 11 years seem to be lower proof than the barrels with less age. I thought that they were aging them in WV. 

It also seems like just about every store I've stepped foot in in the last month or so has a SAOS single barrel pick. 

4 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

I  was thinking that the MGP/LDI distillate was aging in the Smooth Ambler rickhouses (which I thought were in WV), perhaps I'm wrong.

And yes with age, you would expect the proof to rise.  But there have been at least 4 barrels released in the Minneapolis area with proofs below 100.  They are pretty good though.

I wonder what the time split aging between IN and WV is for some of these barrels and the effect it has.

Also--answering my own question here, the warehouses in Lawrenceburg are composed of thick, brick walls, and several (maybe 4 or 5?) stories tall.

Very different from the normal tin siding and roof (single or multi-story) at other distilleries in KY, IN region.

Went to find my bottle I purchased just a week or two ago here in Central Florida. None of my local stores have carried it - this is from a store a county or two South of me that has a great selection.

Looks like 102.8 proof if my math is correct. Opening it up next weekend to taste side by side with a 7 and 10 year old that 2 of my buddies purchased.  

20160729_212610.jpg

13 hours ago, rcornel said:

It is from Indiana, BUT, that doesn't mean it was aged there. Smooth Ambler will select barrels and age them further in their own warehouses.

As for your second sentence, proof increases with age only if it's aged where the temperature is hot enough to induce the evaporation that results in the angel's share. On the first floor of warehouse, or in a stone warehouse in a valley (exhibit A: Wild Turkey Mater's Keep), the opposite can happen. Where it's cooler, condensation can form on the barrel surface and be absorbed by it thereby adding water to the whiskey inside. 

And, as others have said, a lower barrel entry proof to begin with will result in these lower barrel proofs. 

I purchased the SAOS SB 48.7% (10 yr) a few weeks ago and it is a SPICE MONSTER to me.  Not sure of the percentage of rye in this one, but it seems to me to have more of a rye kick than ANY of the other SAOS 7, 10, or Single Barrels I have had from them.  Frankly, it's too much for me. It's the first SAOS product that I have regretted buying.

The SAOS SB 52.5 (10 yr) , even though a higher ABV, is simply one of the best I've had from them. Go figure.<_<

Edited by starhopper

I have this one, my guess, high rye mashbill too. I like it though. The problem is, it's not widely available like their 7 or 10 edition and it's not cheap, I think I paid a little less than €100. 

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, flahute said:

It is from Indiana, BUT, that doesn't mean it was aged there. Smooth Ambler will select barrels and age them further in their own warehouses.

As for your second sentence, proof increases with age only if it's aged where the temperature is hot enough to induce the evaporation that results in the angel's share. On the first floor of warehouse, or in a stone warehouse in a valley (exhibit A: Wild Turkey Mater's Keep), the opposite can happen. Where it's cooler, condensation can form on the barrel surface and be absorbed by it thereby adding water to the whiskey inside. 

And, as others have said, a lower barrel entry proof to begin with will result in these lower barrel proofs. 

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I do wonder what proof LDI/MGP goes in at, and if it changed when owners did.

On another note, their 95 rye barrel proof by Redemption has been ~121-123.

This store had both 99pf and SB at the same price $53

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.