Lazy Guy Distillery

DistillEveryDay
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey all, 

My name is Cody Chinn and I'm a distiller at Lazy Guy Distillery in Kennesaw, GA. I wanted to introduce myself and my distillery and extend an open invitation to visitors :)

Lazy Guy got its start in 2013 when our founder, Mark, decided his job was driving him to drink and he wanted a long term plan for retirement. Lazy Guy is a nod to that retirement goal. the still was first fired up in Jan 2014 and we have sourced nothing from MGP or any other facility. Thus the wait on Mother Nature began. We launched with a comprehensive white lineup and have only truly transitioned into darks in the past 6 months. We have a bourbon called Sidetrack and a Rye called 5th Article 1887. 

we've won 8 awards in our 2.5 years and only enter prominent shows to make sure we have real competition. We will be releasing the straight version of our bourbon, called Embers, in October. It will be the first  truly Georgia Straight Bourbon to come to market since the 70s. 

We we make the whiskey in a barn built in 1830 and truly do everything by hand. 

Im looking forward to being part of the community and sharing my knowledge about the drink we all obviously love. Please ask any questions you have and if you're ever in GA come see me and we will do some sampling! 

-Cody

Welcome.  I'm curious which shows you consider prominent and have entered?

Posting on the forums does not sound very lazy to me...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Great introduction and good luck. There are enough GA members on here to at least give you a good start.

Welcome to SB.  I just spent a few minutes on your website, not enough to see it all, but enough to wonder . . .

Do you have a regular distribution area - like, do you reach WashDC?  AND, are you likely to resurrect Lotoko or to offer something similar in the near future?  I have some friends who decline my bourbon but are partial to corn and Orange Crush, and I'm trying to get them interested in something "other".

Good luck with your endeavor.

Hi Cody - welcome to SB!

If you haven't seen it yet, check out this thread.  Several of us met Mark and toured the facility back in late August 2014 (and I think some other folks on this forum may have visited more recently).  I've seen more products on the shelves locally (Marietta) which is encouraging!  I'm excited about the rye (as for my taste buds, rye offers a lot more at a younger age than bourbon), but haven't tried it yet.  

Welcome to SB, Cody.  I look forward to hearing updates from LGD.   I unfortunately missed our GBS trip to your place, so maybe we can set up another visit.  

Cheers!

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Welcome to SB, Cody.  I look forward to hearing updates from LGD.   I unfortunately missed our GBS trip to your place, so maybe we can set up another visit.  

Cheers!

Wait . . . did I hear GBS Road Trip? :D  They definitely have some new offerings since the last time some of us visited (which admittedly was only a small group - hopefully didn't scare Mark off!)  

Cody - if you want to message me your email address, I can try to cat-herd some of the GBS folks and get out there! 

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2016 at 5:03 PM, GaryT said:

Wait . . . did I hear GBS Road Trip? :D  They definitely have some new offerings since the last time some of us visited (which admittedly was only a small group - hopefully didn't scare Mark off!)  

Cody - if you want to message me your email address, I can try to cat-herd some of the GBS folks and get out there! 

Did this ever happen? A good deal of time has passed since the last post which can only mean good things for the whiskey. Anywho I am certainly up for a fieldtrip if the interest is still there, along with the distillery for that matter.

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Did this ever happen? A good deal of time has passed since the last post which can only mean good things for the whiskey. Anywho I am certainly up for a fieldtrip if the interest is still there, along with the distillery for that matter.

Our initial visit happened, but I don't think we made a second.  They've released several new products since (including a bourbon and just recently a straight bourbon).  I'd be up for looking to try to line up a summer visit if there is interest!

• I like it 1

Our initial visit happened, but I don't think we made a second.  They've released several new products since (including a bourbon and just recently a straight bourbon).  I'd be up for looking to try to line up a summer visit if there is interest!

Jeez Gary, it’s such a long way from our houses. I just don’t know. What is it, like 15 whole minutes away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

Jeez Gary, it’s such a long way from our houses. I just don’t know. What is it, like 15 whole minutes away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With soaring gas prices . . . ;)

Yeah - not as much time as interest (could see this as one of those "Meh - been there, done that" potentially).  I'm curious what they've been up to.  Cody's intro post mentions their straight bourbon release in Oct 2016, but it looks like from their web-site it was Dec 2018 (which I' had hoped meant maybe they opted for the "NAS" straight variety of 4 yrs, but I see the "at least 2 years" on the label :()

When we first toured, they didn't really have regular tours - but they do them every Saturday at 1pm or 4pm.  So just need to figure out a day that works for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 5:04 AM, GaryT said:

When we first toured, they didn't really have regular tours - but they do them every Saturday at 1pm or 4pm.  So just need to figure out a day that works for everyone.

If schedule allows, I wouldn't mind checking these guys out.  I haven't tasted any of their bottles yet, but the Embers and 5th Article both caught my eye...

Not much over an hour from here...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.