Laphroaig 10 Year Cask Strength Discontinued

Jazz Nut
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All, I received word via email from a retailer in the Twin Cities, Ace Spirits, that Laphroaig 10 Year Cask Strength is now discontinued.  I'll upload the email later, but wanted to give a heads up.  This is a retailer I trust.

Folks on MM&F are suggesting that it's going to be Distillery only from now on, at best.  Thankfully, young Laphroaig just hasn't tasted good to me for quite awhile anyway.  I'd like to try a heavily sherried version, but the indie bottle prices for that aren't something I'm willing to pay.  Frankly, between the OB quality slide and the IB price situation, it's a distillery that I'm starting to happily avoid.

Now if Lag 16 or Springbank 12CS got discontinued, I'd rent out a U-Haul and take out personal loans to make sure I had a lifetime supply secured . . .

I just picked up a Laphroaig PX Cask, which I do enjoy - but the 10yr CS is one I do really like.  Won't go out of my way to bunker a ton of it, but will probably try to snag one just as a back-up.  

Hopefully it is true.  I would point out that I was told a very similar thing about Laphroaig 18 a year or two ago.  I believe I even posted the email response I received from the Distillery on SB somewhere.  I was pretty tempted to reply back and ask why I was lied to when they announced Lore, but it what's the point?  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

You will note that this rumor came from an email from a retailer. I never pay a bit of attention to info that has come from a retailer, no matter how reliable they may seem, or even the distributor for that matter.

When I hear it directly from the distillery then I will start to consider it might be possible although even then it is not a sure thing.

Exhibit A: Johnnie Walker Green Label. It was going away years ago! And yet it is still around.

The only that seems consistent in the liquor companies seems to be the lack of any idea what is going to happen next by the liquor companies.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You will note that this rumor came from an email from a retailer. I never pay a bit of attention to info that has come from a retailer, no matter how reliable they may seem, or even the distributor for that matter.

When I hear it directly from the distillery then I will start to consider it might be possible although even then it is not a sure thing.

Exhibit A: Johnnie Walker Green Label. It was going away years ago! And yet it is still around.

The only that seems consistent in the liquor companies seems to be the lack of any idea what is going to happen next by the liquor companies.

Thanks for the reminder Bruce.  The whiskeria-nervosa (which I've kept at bay for much of 2016!) was settling in, and I should know better :)  

The retailer has retracted the statement in another email. Sounds like it was a miscommunication with a rep.

I'm glad to hear this story has a happy ending. I'll be getting a bottle of this once my bottle of Big Peat CS Christmas Edition runs out.

On 8/5/2016 at 11:48 AM, garbanzobean said:

Hopefully it is true.  I would point out that I was told a very similar thing about Laphroaig 18 a year or two ago.  I believe I even posted the email response I received from the Distillery on SB somewhere.  I was pretty tempted to reply back and ask why I was lied to when they announced Lore, but it what's the point?  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

Brand ambassadors denying rumors of discontinued expressions are as reliable as professional sports teams standing by the manager/coach days/weeks before firing them!

You mentioned one of the most prominent denials, the other that comes to mind was Bruichladdich 10yo: distillery reps swore up and down it would not be discontinued ... until it was!

Fool me once ... where there's smoke ...

Edited by portwood

2 hours ago, portwood said:

Brand ambassadors denying rumors of discontinued expressions are as reliable as professional sports teams standing by the manager/coach days/weeks before firing them!

You mentioned one of the most prominent denials, the other that comes to mind was Bruichladdich 10yo: distillery reps swore up and down it would not be discontinued ... until it was!

Fool me once ... where there's smoke ...

I politely called Simon Brooking out about that last night on MM&F using some key historical information (email, blog posts, quote from Simon on MM&F) I happened to have been saving for just such an occasion.  He humored me with a polite response, but it didn't really go anywhere.  I personally wasn't trying to embarrass the guy or be a jerk or anything, just politely but firmly make the point that they had lost my business due to "confusion" and dropped age statements.   

As far as Bruichladdich goes, I did give their new laddie classic a try.  It is not to my taste.  I get lots and lots of acidic baby vomit flavors.  My supply of Laddie 10 finally dried up, but I have lots of IB options from the old distillers.  And I'm going to be honest, I think they generally made just as good a spirit than the new crew, though I think the new distillate will really age well if they ever give it a chance to do so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.