Wild Turkey Rye 101 (available in 1L package)

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We are told that Wild Turkey has been short on their Rye 101, but today I noticed both chain stores have it on the shelf.  It is only available in the 1L bottle for $38 to $44.  

I would think if supply was so low they would be offering it in the 750ml package instead of the liter size.  My cynical side would consider this a money grab.  How do you all see this?

54 minutes ago, Darwin said:

We are told that Wild Turkey has been short on their Rye 101, but today I noticed both chain stores have it on the shelf.  It is only available in the 1L bottle for $38 to $44.  

I would think if supply was so low they would be offering it in the 750ml package instead of the liter size.  My cynical side would consider this a money grab.  How do you all see this?

When WTR was taken from retail sales, it continued for on-premise (for the most part)which are typically 1litre sizes as a general rule.  So when re-released at retail, maybe a holdover from then?  

...Speaking for myself as a consumer, if it is in short supply I'm appreciative to have available in larger volume quantities per unit sold.  

39 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

When WTR was taken from retail sales, it continued for on-premise (for the most part)which are typically 1litre sizes as a general rule.  So when re-released at retail, maybe a holdover from then?  

...Speaking for myself as a consumer, if it is in short supply I'm appreciative to have available in larger volume quantities per unit sold.  

Joe, I think you nailed it on the size.  The 101 Rye was only available in a couple of bars in the Phoenix area.  Maybe they are just trying to clear inventory for the new package.  I still don't get the price, twice that of the 101 Bourbon.  :blink:

The WT Rye 101 in the Liter size (only) at $44.99 been at Binny's for I'm thinking around 2 years or so. 

4 hours ago, T Comp said:

The WT Rye 101 in the Liter size (only) at $44.99 been at Binny's for I'm thinking around 2 years or so. 

I've seen it around pretty consistently for the least two years as well. Not every place has it, but quite a few in Atlanta do. I just assumed at some point WT would release regular size bottles of it as well but it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by Spade

9 minutes ago, Spade said:

I've seen it around pretty consistently for the least two years as well. Not every place has it, but quite a few in Atlanta do. I just assumed at some point WT would release regular size bottles of it as well but it hasn't happened yet.

They made a big thing when it returned a couple of years ago of the need to limit the release of the new WT 101 rye to on premises sites because there was only a limited amount available and apparently the 101 was needed by all those bartenders who needed the higher proof for cocktails. That was why they said they were using the 1 liter bottle favored by many bars.

The rest of us were supposed to make do with the bland 81 proof rye I suppose. For a short while it was hard to find outside of bars but it pretty quickly began popping up in retail and hasn't been all that hard to find in Atlanta as noted for at least more than a year I would guess.

I've seen it in MA as well.  But my buddy in Nashville was very grateful when I gifted him a bottle.  Still seems limited or absent in many markets.

1 minute ago, scratchline said:

I've seen it in MA as well.  But my buddy in Nashville was very grateful when I gifted him a bottle.  Still seems limited or absent in many markets.

I think a lot of stores just don't stock it because 1L is a weird size. It's available here, but of the dozens of stores in town I only know of one that puts it on the shelf.

I have not seen a WT 101 Rye in the wild since the label changed, and the last few stragelers of those.  It used to go for a little more than $25 a 750ml (always more than the bourbon).  Nowadays I see the 81 rye everywhere.  It makes me wonder why some of that can't be held back for the 101.

I found a liquor store in OP, KS that special ordered a bottle for me. It must have been seen as an unusual order since a store manager called me to confirm that the WTR101 was what I really wanted. It came in the 1L bottle for around $38 and it is a very good pour.  I haven't seen it on the shelves of other stores in the KC area. This same store did have 750ml bottles of RR6YR on the shelf at around $39 which I'll eventually get around to buying.

I recently picked this up from Germany for €30, seemed like a good price. 1l bottle too. Not cracked it yet but I may just have to now!

• 5 months later...

I just picked up a liter bottle of the 101 rye for $30. I've never had it before and don't drink a lot of rye but took a shot based on the price. I've been told it makes a great Manhatten.

1 hour ago, Gerry M said:

I just picked up a liter bottle of the 101 rye for $30. I've never had it before and don't drink a lot of rye but took a shot based on the price. I've been told it makes a great Manhatten.

Great price and good pickup. It mixes well but is also excellent on its own...I've only been through one bottle of it, but I flew through it with astonishing speed. If you check out the "What Rye are you drinking..." thread, you'll see a lot of love for it.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, PaulO said:

That is not the old label.  It looks like the new label of some other WT products.

Yes, that's the new 'albino turkey' label.  AKA, a truly rare breed!  :lol:

I've been curious to try this, it's not very difficult to track down online. But then I remember the local stores have Russell's Reserve 6 year Rye for $30-something.

I'm interested to know if anyone has tried both and what they think.

Yeah, this one was $30/Liter after a 10% discount.  Never tried the 101 before, but remembered hearing about it on here a few times.

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Hey, they need to start sending some to IN!

Drive over here and I'll take you to the store.  Bring some VOB with you.

:)

Edited by 0895

Back in August 2016, I requested that Lukas Liquor in OP, KS find a 1L bottle of the WTR101 for me as a special order which they cheerfully accomplished. This past weekend, Lukas Liquor on the Missouri side of the state line was actually stocking the 1L bottles on the shelf.  I doubt that I had anything to do with their inventory choice but I do look forward to visiting them again for more purchases. The MO store also has a beer bar adjacent to their store that features a lot of weird and wonderful beers. Do your shopping first before sampling any beer.

14 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I've been curious to try this, it's not very difficult to track down online. But then I remember the local stores have Russell's Reserve 6 year Rye for $30-something.

I'm interested to know if anyone has tried both and what they think.

The RR is the more refined and gentle natured of the two, while the 101 is the brash and bold bully of the lot.  I enjoy both for what they are...

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

The RR is the more refined and gentle natured of the two, while the 101 is the brash and bold bully of the lot.  I enjoy both for what they are...

Cool, thanks. I suppose that makes some sense with the 101 being higher proof and probably a little younger. Personally I really love the RR SB at 104 proof but at twice the cost of either the 101/RR 6 and only a few bottles in town I've been curious to try the 101. It would be interesting to do a side by side with all 3.

You are seeing the WT 101 Rye more and more recently. I think it is a tad younger than it was before it became on premise only..but it is still very good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.