I Sent Brown Forman An E-mail

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went to the Old Forester web site and sent B-F an e-mail.  

I was happy when my local Meijer store started to carry Old Forester Signature (and a decent price too).  The problem is - I've bought three bottles there separated by at least a month or so apart.  They aren't like ones in the recent past.  OF Sig was one of my favorites.  The label changed.  It was the same in the new package until recently.  The last few I've had, might just as well buy any 100 proof bourbon and it would be as good or better.

The one I have open now tastes like bitter apple peel or seed, that's about it.  Back when there was only the four year old Old Forester bottled in bond, I think it was better than this.

If I come accross any of the old label OF Sig, I'm grabbing them.

Oooooohhhhh, that is scary!  

I always depend upon the consistent quality of a few, so therefor don't 'bunker' those few.     Old Forester Signature has traditionally been one of those few. 

Maybe I'll scoop a couple of family size OFS's in the next few days. 

It will be a G'Damned shame if BF is gonna let one of the few worthwhile brands they market hit the skids.   Shame upon 'em, if they do.   AND they'll lose a bunch of my (well... a small bunch) of business if that's their plan.

I keep a pretty steady flow of Old Forester Signature going at my house and I haven't noticed a downturn in quality of flavor. I'll admit I don't have the most discerning palate, but Old Forester is one of my favorite bourbons and I think I'd be sensitive to a shift like you described. There are specific flavors I can count on with OF Sig and a finish that always pleases my tastes.

I'll pop open a new bottle tonight and give her a test drive!

About the only thing I noticed with my last couple bottles of OF Sig was that it needed more air than in the past.  Could be me, could be all those whiskey row dated releases + them setting better barrels aside for more premium products.

They sent me a nice reply, and offered to make arrangements to pick up and evaluate my bottle.  Had I known, I would have saved some.  It's empty now, but I will send them the number code so they can tell exactly when it was bottled.

haha, couldn't have been all that bad then if you finished the bottle ;)

so what did you say in the email you sent them?  did you just ask if something has changed?

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

They sent me a nice reply, and offered to make arrangements to pick up and evaluate my bottle.  Had I known, I would have saved some.  It's empty now, but I will send them the number code so they can tell exactly when it was bottled.

Interesting post . . . would you please share the code?  I'm curious to compare with the bottles I have.  Thanks . . . Wally

I will double check the code with a magnifying glass and let you all know.  

The bottle got emptied because I went back to it on numerous occasions, just to make sure my first impression wasn't wrong.  It wasn't the worst bourbon I ever tried.  It simply lacked what I've come to expect from that brand (after being a consumer for many years).  That is more or less what I told B-F.

I also replied that if they would like a sample to evaluate, they could get some from the Meijer store where mine came from (not trying to sound sarcastic).

I think this is the code A04916013 3125689 there are also a couple letters or numbers underneath.  Man, it's hard to read.

Thanks, PaulO . . . we have two unopened bottles of the new (circa 2012) label:

Lot # A309140712 3116376  and  A271132108 3107857

Cheers . . . Wally

Just learned a neat life hack for small print...take a pic of the code w your phone then enlarge the image on your phone.  Better than a magnifying glass.

If I had been available Paul, I would have co-signed your email.  My comments from December of last year lamenting my dissatisfaction with what has been a beloved brand to me.

Edited by smokinjoe

On 8/22/2016 at 7:01 PM, smokinjoe said:

"lamenting my dissatisfaction with what has been a beloved brand to me"

Joe, that pretty well sums up my feelings too.  The tasting notes on your Dec. 31, 2015 post are spot on. 

• 1 month later...

I've only had one bottle of OF (the 86 proof) and it was probably one of the most worst bourbons I've tried. The first pour started out very promising and I was thinking "Man, I've found a keeper", but the longer that pour sat in the glass the worse it became. I've had bourbons oxidize over a span of hours, but never a span of minutes. The rest of the bottle was the same way. I've never had a bottle do that before. It's almost like introducing air to it "turned" it (Don't know if that's the right way to put it, but it's as close as I can get). This bottle was purchased in April of this year. Haven't bought since. 

Edited by BDanner

I had OF 86 several years ago.  I was gifted a bottle at Christmas.  I thought it was ok; basically tasted like the OF Sig watered down a bit.  At this point, I wouldn't be too shocked to hear the 86 went downhill too.  I recently removed OF Sig from my SB.com profile.  Meanwhile I will enjoy many fine HH or Beam products and life goes on.

I guess my best analogy was my favorite Chinese restaurant on the other side of town.  It was my favorite place for years.  The last couple times it wasn't as good.  I found new places to go.  

21 hours ago, PaulO said:

I had OF 86 several years ago.  I was gifted a bottle at Christmas.  I thought it was ok; basically tasted like the OF Sig watered down a bit.  At this point, I wouldn't be too shocked to hear the 86 went downhill too.  I recently removed OF Sig from my SB.com profile.  Meanwhile I will enjoy many fine HH or Beam products and life goes on.

I guess my best analogy was my favorite Chinese restaurant on the other side of town.  It was my favorite place for years.  The last couple times it wasn't as good.  I found new places to go.  

Agreed...part of it may be that I just don't care for the Brown-Foreman profile. I've bought several 50mls of the Woodford Reserve and have not been impressed either. My cabinet is also HH and Beam heavy.

I have really enjoyed some B-F brands.  I'm just saying the last three bottles of OF Sig were not good.  This is after I was a fan and recommended it, probably since the early 2000s.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.