Bourbon Peaches

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's the height of peach season, so there's no better time to whip up some of these.

Bourbon Peaches

Equipment: Pint or quart mason jars, canner or large pot, rack etc.

Ripe but firm peaches

1 cup of sugar per pound of peaches

1 cup of water per pound of peaches

Bourbon (also works with brandy, rum or whatever else you want to experiment with)

Yield varies but I got two quart jars out of 3 lbs of peaches.

1. Bring the water in the canner (or large pot with a rack) to a boil. There should be enough water to cover the bottom 1-2 inches of the jars.

2. Wash and sterilize the jars, lids and other canning equipment. Keep them warm and clean until ready to fill.

3. Wash and gently rub the peaches with a towel to get the fuzz off. Pit and cut into halves or quarters.

4. Place the water and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

5. Poach the peaches in the boiling syrup for five minutes.

6. Remove peaches from the syrup and place peaches in the hot, sterilized jars. Fill as full as possible while leaving 1/2 inch of head room, then pour in the bourbon. 2 tbs for pint jars, 4 tbs for quarts.

7. Next pour in the reserved syrup (you will have quite a bit left over). Run a plastic knife or something similar around the edge of the jar to loosen the air bubbles.

8. Wipe the top of the jar, place the sterile lid on top and then screw on the rim (not too tight, though!).

9. Process in the canner for 15 minutes.

10. Remove jars from the hot water bath and let cool on a towel on the counter until completely cooled and the lid has pinged. 

11. Place in a cool dark place for three months or so, then enjoy.

If you have any questions about canning procedure, don't ask me, go here: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

Like I said, there will be lots of syrup left over, so why waste it? Place what's left back in the saucepan, add 2 tbs of bourbon (optional) and boil for 10 minutes or so until reduced by one half or at desired consistency. Place in a sealed container. Do not refrigerate. Use with desserts or in iced tea.

Edited by Josh

Must be something in the water.  Yesterday, my wife made a peach-bourbon sauce for burgers.  She pureed a peach, added some bourbon (we used EW BIB), and baked it.  When it had thickened and browned slightly, she added a little more bourbon.  Don't know where she got the recipe.  Wegman's?

Anyway, peaches and bourbon made a great sauce.

58 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Don't know where she got the recipe.  Wegman's?

Maybe, she's got her own little secret trash can!   :lol:

I went to a get together of our little cigar and bourbon/spirits group last Wednesday. Not peaches I know, but one guy brought a bottle of Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon Cherry Moonshine. Frankly, Josh's Bourbon Peaches sound much better. :huh:

Cheers! Joe

On 8/28/2016 at 8:56 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Must be something in the water.  Yesterday, my wife made a peach-bourbon sauce for burgers.  She pureed a peach, added some bourbon (we used EW BIB), and baked it.  When it had thickened and browned slightly, she added a little more bourbon.  Don't know where she got the recipe.  Wegman's?

That sounds delicious. I think I might try it soon.

On 8/28/2016 at 9:56 PM, smokinjoe said:

Maybe, she's got her own little secret trash can!   :lol:

I have no idea what this means.

On 8/28/2016 at 10:11 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I went to a get together of our little cigar and bourbon/spirits group last Wednesday. Not peaches I know, but one guy brought a bottle of Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon Cherry Moonshine. Frankly, Josh's Bourbon Peaches sound much better. :huh:

Cheers! Joe

So I assume that guy is out of the group?

Josh - RE: the obscure trashcan reference.  For quite awhile now I've been keeping an orange screwcap OGD bottle in a trashcan next to my TV chair.  Periodically, it runs out of OGD BIB.  So, I refill it with OGD BIB.  I don't drink from it exclusively, but it is there when I don't want to leave the chair in search of something else (like when Melancon comes in for the "save" in a Nats-Mets game OR when TCM has a StarWars movie on OR Cartoon Channel is on).

Incidentally, my wife loves your bourbon-peach canning recipe.  She's done short-term B-Ps but no canning.  She's been canning salsa and tomatoes, etc., for a few years now, so she's ready to try this.  Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.