Rather than "Bourbon Infused . . .", why not Rye?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've done several bourbon infusions over the years, with varying results.  Started making more bacon infused bourbon recently after really enjoying a cocktail I had it in.  While getting ready to make another batch this weekend, I pondered "Why bourbon?  Why not rye?"  I decided I didn't want to go crazy with JUST rye, but for this batch used 2/3 KCSB, and 1/3 Dickel Rye.  Still in the straining process (I like to freeze, strain through cheesecloth, than through a coffee filter, freeze again, then through another coffee filter), but it smells delicious - like bacon candy!

Curious if other folks have tried any rye infusions, and if so - whatcha thought?

I am not a fan of infused vodka. I've never had infused bourbon, but I'm hesitant to try it because I don't like the vodka.

Not a bad idea, Gary. I made a pumpkin pie bourbon infusion a couple of years ago that turned out well. Pumpkin pie with rye whiskey is a great pairing, so maybe I'll try a pumpkin pie rye this year!

I'm going to give the new infusion a shot in a Suckling Sour later today, and see how it goes.  Although . . . for science . . . I guess I need to make two (one with the bacon bourbon and one with this for comparison).  Hmm . . . something to ponder while sitting in mind-numbing meetings on a Friday :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.