Current ardbeg uigeadail batches

bdrinker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone tried recent 2015 or 2016 batches? what's been your experience? looking to pick up a bottle and avoiding a dud.

I just finished up a bottle of Uigeadail bottled November 2015.  It's probably not a return to the very first days of Uigeadail or anything, but I found it to be very good to excellent, depending on the night I was drinking it.  This is my third bottle of Uigeadail.  The first two were mediocre to bad, so it took me a couple years and a lot of assurances that consistency and quality had improved across batches to buy another.  This one had a noticeable sherry presence, and the fiery heat of immaturity was well tamed.   Good rounded character overall.  If I can levy one minor criticism, it tasted SLIGHTLY engineered like Japanese whisky can, but I don't mind that, and the thumping peat level keeps it from sliding into ho-hum territory.

I'm sure it was mostly pretty young whisky, but the SMWS Ardbegs I've had have been young and aged in sherry.  Oldest was 8 years, and did not taste raw or immature.  I think they've got their processes under control now.  Drinking a bottle from three different batches is by no means representative, of course.

It's good to hear that they've improved. What's your bottle code? it should look something like this:

L63646 17/11/2015

38 minutes ago, bdrinker said:

It's good to hear that they've improved. What's your bottle code? it should look something like this:

L63646 17/11/2015

My bottle went out with the recycling earlier this week, sorry man.

Good reminder in this thread that I should grab another Oogie in preparation for fall. One of the best pours you can go with as the year ends. 

12 minutes ago, Auracom said:

Good reminder in this thread that I should grab another Oogie in preparation for fall. One of the best pours you can go with as the year ends. 

Sherry + peat is a winning combo in cooler weather for sure.  I've not opened another sherried peater since killing the Oogie.  Looking forward to opening something similar tonight.  The tough part will be deciding what to open.  Decisions, decisions.

I have a bottle of Lagavulin 16 but I won't open it until I finish the Laphroaig 10 I have. I do look forward to getting an oogie, I've heard so much about it.

On August 28, 2016 at 11:05 AM, garbanzobean said:

Looking forward to opening something similar tonight.  The tough part will be deciding what to open.  Decisions, decisions.

So Eric, what did you end up choosing? 

Didn't get around to it, actually.  I binned the last of a Tobermory 10 into a Mamie Taylor and ended up opening a CB Spice Tree to replace it.  Then I opened a Bernheim wheat since it was on my mind.  Figured two new whiskies in one night was plenty.  I'll definitely open something the next time I have a drink.  I can start planning my next "naked" peater after that, since my Lag 8 is at about a third.  Time to start pouring off samples.

11 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Didn't get around to it, actually.  I binned the last of a Tobermory 10 into a Mamie Taylor and ended up opening a CB Spice Tree to replace it.  Then I opened a Bernheim wheat since it was on my mind.  Figured two new whiskies in one night was plenty.  I'll definitely open something the next time I have a drink.  I can start planning my next "naked" peater after that, since my Lag 8 is at about a third.  Time to start pouring off samples.

How did you like the Lag 8?  I just purchased a bottle but haven't opened it yet.  Comparisons to 16 and 12?

Just now, meadeweber said:

How did you like the Lag 8?  I just purchased a bottle but haven't opened it yet.  Comparisons to 16 and 12?

I've really enjoyed it.  I posted brief tasting notes in the what are you drinking thread once or twice.  It's much more similar to the 12 than the 16, and is $40-$70 less per bottle at most current prices.  And it's Lagavulin through and through, just more naked.  

I still have one bottle left, but will probably buy another and set both of them aside for a number of years.  I think future me would really appreciate having two to drink.

On 8/28/2016 at 0:05 PM, garbanzobean said:

Sherry + peat is a winning combo in cooler weather for sure.  I've not opened another sherried peater since killing the Oogie.  Looking forward to opening something similar tonight.  The tough part will be deciding what to open.  Decisions, decisions.

Bowmore Laimrig is another great high ABV sherried peater.

24 minutes ago, Rick M. said:

Bowmore Laimrig is another great high ABV sherried peater.

That it is.  Actually a coworker is headed to the UK next month.  I should have him pick up a bottle for me.

On August 28, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Auracom said:

I cannot drink peated stuff when it's 90+ degrees and 70+ humid outside. Uigeadail is a perfect cold, rainy drink.

Had a dream of this last night. It was a 2015 bottling and freshly cracked open. 

It seems a younger and rougher on the edges than I remember the last bottle being. 

Could also be that I only remember the end of the last bottle which I am sure mellowed and oxidized a bit. 

Great at bottle of whisky non the less and will alway be a favorite cold winter dram for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a 10 day trip to Scotland. Visited quite a few distilleries in both Speyside and Islay.   I was able to bring back 8 bottles of distillery only or very limited release whiskys.  Ardbeg Kildalton was one of my choices.   The distillery shop associate let me try a dram from an open bottle and I thought it was excellent. Probably going to save it until some of my scotch friends come over this winter.  We can discuss the trip while enjoying a few drams.   

Other bottles purchased were: Dailuaine Managers Choice Single Cask 12 yr, Bruichladdich Links, The Old Course 14 yr, Laphroaig 2015 Cast Strength 25 yr, Lagavulin 2016 Jazz Festival Edition, Caol Ila Limited Release 30 yr, Balveinie 30 yrsigned by the malt master and a special cask strength Glenfiddich that I got to bottle and label myself.   Our trip was with a group of four couples that we nicknamed the Dramites.  Even got to St Andrews and The Old Course.   It was indeed a trip of a lifetime.   I did aquire a taste for Scotch, both peaty from Islay and not from Speyside while there.   Came back home a had a healthy pour of Bourbon.   Still like Bourbon the best but suspect that could change over time 

image.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.