What Do you "Expect" From a Private Barrel Selection

El Vino
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have found more than a few 'store picks' to be quite ordinary, which is, of course the reverse of what most of us seek when pulling out the wallet for a private picked bottle.    The reason, I'm told by a couple of store owners/managers is that they want to put something on the shelf that isn't too far from the original profile, and often prefer something 'milder' or 'smoother' which they think will sell better to the general public.

To folx like us, that is the opposite of what we'd prefer.   So, a query to the manager or whomever might be in order, if a taste isn't an option.

Most simply I expect that if I like a brand, I will also like some one's single barrel selection of same brand.  It can be a little different, if in a good way.  That's kind of what we hope for.  Usually though, I find most private selections really close to undistinguishable from regular bottles.  I have seen some stores offer a deal price, since they bought a whole barrel.  That's nice.  I don't expect to pay any extra than normal.  I have had stores offer me free samples in the store.  That's nice too.  

If some brand isn't in my wheelhouse, I don't think a private selection would be enough to change my mind.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.